2014 X10 Alternator fried while on water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 X10 Alternator fried while on water

So we decided to go out in the boat yesterday for a cruise. I went to crank the boat and only have 9.6 volts on the main battery. I wasn't surprised as that interstate battery has not been great. I flip the perko switch to include the house battery as well. My voltage registers at 11 now. I thought hmm that sucks, but the alternator should charge as we are underway if it cranks. Well I push the button and it is sluggish cranking, but once the engine fires it purrs fine. I slowly back away from the dock and start my turn to head out. My buddy has the coffin cushion open getting something out. He asked, what's that smell? I look at the dash and my voltage is jumping from 9-14 volts. After putting the boat in neutral I walk over to him. It is an odd burning smell. I open the gull wing seat where the batteries are stored. I still smell it, but can't figure out where it's coming from. I turn around and see smoke coming from the engine bay. I open the engine lid and see the alternator smoking pretty good. I immediately turn the key off, pull the kill switch, and turn off the perko switch. Unfortunately the alternator still continues to smoke. I grab my pliers and remove the negative battery cable. We fan all the smoke away for a few minutes. I am shocked, disappointed, and dumbfounded.

After all the smoke had cleared, I decided to take it one step at a time. I put the battery cable back on, then the kill switch, followed by turning the perko switch on. By this time the alternator is smoking again. I immediately pull the negative cable again. We get towed back to the dock without much issue.

What would cause this to happen? Have you ever experienced an alternator "burn up" in use? Just to be clear there was never an actual fire just smoke. But something was burning to make that smell and smoke. What is the likelihood of any of the other electrical components being damaged?

I assume the alternator would be covered under the boats 5 year warranty, correct? My issue is that I am 3 hours away driving through Atlanta traffic from my "local" dealer. I can change the alternator myself, but I worry other damage may have been done.

Bearing failure is usually what goes bad on alternators. My guess is you should be fine if you replace it yourself. I don’t blame you for not wanting a 6 hour round trip twice to get your boat fixed. I would probably change it myself. If your repair does not work then reinstall the original one and take a road trip.

Comment

https://mcpartsdepot.com/collections...mp-with-pulley

Comment

best luck. The swap is easy enough.

93 190
        John 14:6
        2 Peter 1:3–8
        Matthew 6:1-4
        Romans 10:9

Comment

Discuss with your dealer before you do anything. Make sure they understand your position so they can help you out or suggest alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by EricB View Post
            Discuss with your dealer before you do anything. Make sure they understand your position so they can help you out or suggest alternatives.
            This^^ if it’s a warranty item, no way I’d mess with it. Especially electrical items.
            -Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
            https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
            2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer

Comment

Originally posted by EricB View Post
              Originally posted by MC25 View Post
              This^^ if it’s a warranty item, no way I’d mess with it. Especially electrical items.
              I gave the shop a call, but the warranty manager wasn't in the office today. I will try again tomorrow. I definitely don't want to risk the warranty. I still have a fear that something else might be damaged. I really hope this is taken care of and not a bigger problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                Bearing failure is usually what goes bad on alternators. My guess is you should be fine if you replace it yourself. I don’t blame you for not wanting a 6 hour round trip twice to get your boat fixed. I would probably change it myself. If your repair does not work then reinstall the original one and take a road trip.
                If there is no danger of voiding the warranty, I will change it myself. Thanks for the link. I had looked it up since the dealership was already closed this weekend. I also wondered if it was possible to upgrade the alternator to a beefier one.

Comment

Was it electrical smoke or belt smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by MLA View Post
                    Was it electrical smoke or belt smoke?
                    Yep just remove the belt and see if the alternator turns by hand. If it’s stuck than you know it’s bearing failure 100 percent.

Comment

Working...
                    X