99 Prostar 205 - no power, boat won't wake up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Prostar 205 - no power, boat won't wake up

I need some help. Just got the boat out of storage to get it ready for the new season. Needed a new starter (it was getting weak at the end of last season). After replacing the starter, the boat is dead. Nothing happens when I turn the key. The battery is fully charged and i'm getting power to the accessories and the starter. But nothing is happening in the ignition phase - it's like the boat won't wake up when I turn the key. Any ideas?

Also, before replacing the starter, there was power. I could turn the key and get the starter to click....

Originally posted by jwskier View Post
    I need some help. Just got the boat out of storage to get it ready for the new season. Needed a new starter (it was getting weak at the end of last season). After replacing the starter, the boat is dead. Nothing happens when I turn the key. The battery is fully charged and i'm getting power to the accessories and the starter. But nothing is happening in the ignition phase - it's like the boat won't wake up when I turn the key. Any ideas?

Also, before replacing the starter, there was power. I could turn the key and get the starter to click....
    Safety lanyard?????

Main circuit breaker???? There should be a reset.

In gear?
    93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

Just to clarify your statement, when you turn the key to start the engine, the starter IS engaging and turning the motor over?

As waterlogged stated, there are two safety circuits to check. If the throttle lever is not in neutral, the neutral safety switch is open and it will not allow the starter solenoid to pull in and the starter does not engage and turn the motor over. My boat had a jumper across the neutral safety switch when I bought it because the throttle linkage needed to be adjusted.

On my 95VRS, if the safety lanyard is removed, the starter will crank the engine over but my ignition circuit and fuel pump have no power. I just verified that this weekend. I removed the lanyard and turned the key to the RUN position (not start) and the fuel pump did not come on. Put the lanyard back on and the fuel pump primed.
      “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post
        Just to clarify your statement, when you turn the key to start the engine, the starter IS engaging and turning the motor over?

As waterlogged stated, there are two safety circuits to check. If the throttle lever is not in neutral, the neutral safety switch is open and it will not allow the starter solenoid to pull in and the starter does not engage and turn the motor over. My boat had a jumper across the neutral safety switch when I bought it because the throttle linkage needed to be adjusted.

On my 95VRS, if the safety lanyard is removed, the starter will crank the engine over but my ignition circuit and fuel pump have no power. I just verified that this weekend. I removed the lanyard and turned the key to the RUN position (not start) and the fuel pump did not come on. Put the lanyard back on and the fuel pump primed.
        My '96 ProStar is the same.
        '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

safety lanyard is on correctly ... where is the main circuit breaker?

Comment

sorry for confusion. Currently there is NO power when I turn on the key. nothing happens. Battery is fully charged. But nothing happens when I turn key

Comment

Check the neutral safety relay.
              93 190
              (safe click)

Comment

sorry for confusion. Currently there is NO power when I turn on the key. nothing happens. Battery is fully charged. But nothing happens when I turn key
                Turn the key to the Crank position- if the dash comes to life, move the red wire to the other large post on the solenoid.

Comment

That's my challenge. Noting happens when I turn the key to the crank position. The dash doesn't come to life.

Comment

That's my challenge. Noting happens when I turn the key to the crank position. The dash doesn't come to life.
                    Is there a wire in the area if the solenoid that’s not connected?

You’re sure it’s in neutral? Jiggle the throttle and see if it starts.

Comment

Make sure the shift lever on the transmission is fully is disengaged to the neutral position. Manually verify that position.
                      93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

Are your accessories still working? Bilge, blower, lights? They should work regardless of the key position. If they are NOT working, then you may left a wire off during the starter installation. If they ARE working, then I would move on to the gauges. Have you cleaned the ground connections on the battery and the engine block?

When the key is in the START/CRANK or the RUN position, you should have power to the gauges. The volts and fuel gauges should operate. This is the ignition key on my 95. The “B” post is 12V from the battery on the red wires. It is hot all of the time and the orange wire on the “B” post sends 12V to my accessories. When I turn the key to the RUN position, the purple wire on the “I” terminal now has 12V out. This purple wire goes to the safety lanyard and then to my ignition circuit (ECM) and powers my gauges. The yellow with red trace wire goes to the neutral safety switch and then starter solenoid and is hot when the key is in the START/CRANK position.

What works and what doesn’t? Any chance you are in VA?
                        Attached Files
                        “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

I forgot to mention- if you don't have a multi-meter, get one and learn to use it (if you don't, already).

Did you need to remove the plastic cover with the red reset button and a group of wires with a big black switch? Check that- if the red button is popped out, nothing will happen.

Does the horn work?

Comment

Question did everything work before you replaced the starter?

if yes, then something with the starter (or connectivity) you just replaced...

if no, nothing worked before you replaced the starter then that is a different path to follow...

was the battery disconnected when you installed the new starter?

Comment

So... in doing some more checking, I do have an extra wire near my solenoid. It's a small red one. Just now sure what post it should go on. I have the large red wire from he battery on the large post and a yellow/red wire on the right hand small post. Should this other red wire go on the other small post?

Comment

Working...
                              X