Battery Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Problem?

I have a 2000 Prostar 205V and have loved it, but over the past 3 months every so often when I turn the key, I get nothing. I've replaced the battery twice and still have the problem. I get nothing although horn worked. I've recharged the battery, but it was fully charged within a minute or two, then put battery back in and it started up right away. If any ideas/suggestions/questions, I'm all ears. Thanks, Tom

Originally posted by twander1 View Post
    I have a 2000 Prostar 205V and have loved it, but over the past 3 months every so often when I turn the key, I get nothing. I've replaced the battery twice and still have the problem. I get nothing although horn worked. I've recharged the battery, but it was fully charged within a minute or two, then put battery back in and it started up right away. If any ideas/suggestions/questions, I'm all ears. Thanks, Tom
    Clean all of your cable connections (all four ends) and don't rule out a corroded cable under the sheathing.

Check your neutral safety system (if it is not a complete circuit, you get nothing....horn could be on a hot lead to work).

Make sure your shifter cable is putting the shift lever into the neutral position (part of the neutral safety setup). You can do a manual check by moving the lever by hand to the farthest position away from the engine.

Starter can have an issue but look at the cables first (all ends..clean and secure).

Don't rule out the ignition switch. They can go bad.

Shouldn't be hard to track down.

$0.02
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

Starter solenoid, Key switch or starter relay are suspects.

Comment

I just went threw the same thing with my 1991, I would have to Disconnect the Battery when not in use.
        It was the Starter solenoid positive post was corroded half way threw, and the Ign Switch was no making a good contact.
        After replacing the Ign switch and Solenoid problem went a way.

Comment

Battery Connectors

I'm assuming that this particular problem has long been solved, however I will tell you of my latest, similar issue. Symptoms: boat won't start, clicking when turning the key (or no sound). Checked: battery, starter, solenoid, key switch. Solution: Replaced the battery connectors. (Yep, just that simple) After trying all the bigger solutions I took it back to basics to make sure that I was getting a tight and consistent connection with the battery and VOILA....it started right up. The good ol' KISS method works again!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryrobinson View Post
            Solution: Replaced the battery connectors. (Yep, just that simple)
            Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
            ........ look at the cables first (all ends..clean and secure).
            Can be any number of possibilities across the board.
            93 190
            (safe click)
            (safe click)

Comment

My connectors were clean and secure, but a little bashed up. I was surprised quite frankly that that was it. Good tips everyone. Thanks for posting all of the help. I’ve used your wisdom a ton!

Comment

My connectors were clean and secure, but a little bashed up. I was surprised quite frankly that that was it. Good tips everyone. Thanks for posting all of the help. I’ve used your wisdom a ton!
                Pay it forward.

Glad you got your issue resolved easily. Electrical gremlins are sometimes elusive.

93 190
                (safe click)
                (safe click)

Comment

I had a shorted diode in the alternator draining my battery

Comment

Pics of bad connectors

Thought it might be helpful for you to see what my bad connectors looked like.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's why I won't use lead clamps. I always cut those off and use terminal rings.

Comment

+1 on terminal rings

Comment

put a 12 volt light in series with the positive side of battery, if it lights with everything turned off you have a load draining the battery.

Comment

Thought it might be helpful for you to see what my bad connectors looked like.
                            You didn't write anything about regularly cleaning the cable clamps and battery posts- that's always a good way to start with this problem.

Another good idea is to stop hammering the clamps on with pliers.

Comment

Now he tells me! Lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X