No electric coming on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No electric coming on

Ok so I hooked the battery cables up on the stereo and ballast battery wrong bc the + cap was on wrong terminal. Boat started and ran fine bc other battery powered it I assume. However when battery power switch was turned to combine batteries something blow behind switch by the voltage sensitivity regulator (VSR) and now no electric for anything. Changed out the battery that was crossed. There is a red light on the VSR... I’m assuming alternator is bad now??? 2008 X2

man, based on your saga you're going to have to spend some time here, when you put power into the system backwards you can do all sorts of things from burn out the rectifier boards/diodes in the alternator to popping breakings and burning wires.

Could have actually burned the battery isolator switch too. Might have to get out the voltmeter and start checking things bit by bit battery to helm.

Comment

Looks like everything is powering back on after a few hours but not enough juice to crank. So Battery is powering things but with a bad alternator not enough juice to crank Looks like I’ll be changing that this week. Seems like everything else powers up until I try to crank motor then everything dies again.

Comment

Originally posted by sereino11 View Post
        Looks like everything is powering back on after a few hours but not enough juice to crank. So Battery is powering things but with a bad alternator not enough juice to crank Looks like I’ll be changing that this week. Seems like everything else powers up until I try to crank motor then everything dies again.

D.B. Electrical dot com

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by sereino11 View Post
          That's not what an alternator does.
          You still have either a battery or a connection issue (or a starter issue) if it won't crank oer.

If you started a boat that had no alternator at all, it would run off the batteries perfectly for awhile. Only when the battery becomes too weak to keep the coil energized and run the fuel injectors/engine management will the engine die.

For a data point, I would get about 200 miles on my old car per battery charge when its alternator was dead (lots less with radio/fan running)

So once you get the boat running you can test the alternator but it is not what is preventing your engine from starting.

Comment

IF you by the way charge the batteries and everything seems to work like the radio/blower/bilge pump. And then you go to crank and it goes CLICK and then seems really dead and nothing runs anymore- that's a sign of a bad connection usually at the battery because the loose connection will transmit power until you put a big load at which point it will basically spark and that will burn the surface of the metal. You can usually see this by removing the battery cables and you'll see little sooty sparked areas.

Comment

volt meters are your friend here... check those grounds and check the cables... both ends and event their resistance... 08 is getting close to new cable time...

Take the battery out and go have it load tested... I bet it comes up bad...

Comment

I agree with the previous comments, you may have a failed battery.

This may help , it is a generic diagram on how most systems with a vsr and battery switch work. Take it with a grain of salt as it is most likely not exactly what you have in your boat.
                It does illustrate how they work.
                When you throw the switch into BOTH, you have a whopping amount of current available so be careful. Both position has another negative aspect in that if one battery is bad it will drain the good battery. Avoid using this switch position unless your are stranded and need to start the motor.

If you have 2 batteries try swapping them (or put your switch in battery B if you have that position. The house battery doesn't require much amperage for testing. The starter battery does.
                Think of the alternator as a generator. All it does is charge the batteries and run your electronics when the boat motor is running.
                Attached Files
                2012 GT205
                2011 X25
                2019 NXT22
                2020 NXT20

Comment

Working...
                X