• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds to me like either a bad plug or bag relay

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
      Sounds to me like either a bad plug or bag relay
      Are you referring to the plug that goes to the connector on top of the fuel pump? I have new relays coming today.
      2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

Yes. Had to replace mine.

Comment

I replaced the gear clamps with ear clamps to see if that stopped the bleed down of the fuel pressure.

I decided to put my lips on the fuel reg and blow gently to see if theRe was a leak in the line.
          I found that the new fuel pump just allows the air to pass through.
          I have read though that the pump should stop back flow. It definitely does not. When I cover the main entrance to the pump the air expels through the little hole on the side.

Is this supposed to be this way?
          I know people put holes in their sump pit pipes to stop lockups by allowing draining

So many different opinions... who really knows

I.m listening to all opinions

Comment

One problem solved
            2 clamps holding the convoluted tubing inside of the fuel pump canister were not tight enough to seal. I used a kids balloon blower to pass air from the regulator down the tubing to the pump. I could hear the bubbling from outside the tank. Pulled the canister made some adjustments and voila. Sealed perfectly.

Now I just have to figure out why the fuel relay keeps blowing.

How many amps are the relays?

Does anyone have an idea?

Comment

Another observation... when retesting the system from regulator to pump for air leakage I could gently pass air through. once I applied higher air pressure the fuel pump seemed to lock up and hold pressure. Must be some type of valve.

Another question... should i have been able to back pressure those components? Or is my fuel regulator toast too?

Comment

I have just been going through similar problems. I determined that my pressure regulator was bad as fuel pressure would bleed off. I had trouble finding a pressure regulator as Mastercraft will not sell you just the regulator. I back tracked the part to a 99 dodge pickup and figured I would give it a go for $50 instead of over $800 for the complete module. The new pressure regulator fixed the problem of the pressure bleeding off but it held a constant 40psi so the boat could only idle. Unfortunately I had to buy a complete new module to get the right regulator but all the problems have been fixed.
                Previous Boat- 1983 Stars and Stripes

Comment

I found that a 2002 dodge 2500 pick up has the same regulator and is set to 5si. I.m going to order and try that one tomorrow.
                  Glad to hear your problem was solved.
                  Did you have blowing relays too.?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfrost View Post
                    I found that a 2002 dodge 2500 pick up has the same regulator and is set to 5si. I.m going to order and try that one tomorrow.
                    Glad to hear your problem was solved.
                    Did you have blowing relays too.?
                    I did have a bad relay that would make the boat shut off after running it for so long. That has been replaced and it seems that the problem has been fixed with about 6 hours on the boat since the new relay. As far as the regulator goes I wish you the best of luck because I think that might have been the exact same one that I ordered and it was supposed to operate with 5si. I do not know what the reasoning was but it would not put out proper pressure. Hopefully your luck fairs better than mine!

Comment

So I.ve replaced the pump again and the regulator.
                      I thought it was the fuel relay because when i put in a new one it would start the fuel pump, pressurize the system and start the engine..
                      I have tested the 6 relays I thought were toast and they test to be fine.... wth
                      This is what i have at the socket for the relay
                      Pin86 11.84v
                      Pin30 12.34v
                      Pin85 0.3ohms

Why is there a difference in voltages?

Comment

Peytonvp was your boat shutting off due to the fuel pump not pumping.

Comment

Still trying to figure out my engine not starting problem.
                          I.ve found 2 relays under the dash.
                          One was super corroded. It is closest to the buzzer.
                          What does this run?
                          Here are some pictures...
                          Question 2. Gray wire 85. Is it supposed to be ground?
                          Thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

Found a schematic for the wiring harness.
                            Shows the 2 relays under the dash.
                            One is for low battery - the one with the buzzer - this must be why the previous owner unplugged it (it was always buzzing)
                            The second one is for the seat heater.

So I don't think this solves my problem... yet.
                            Ordered a new relay.
                            Will keep you informed.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Jackfrost; 06-28-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Low Battery Alarm Relay Pin Organization:

85 Black (or on mine gray) comes from the MMDC. - alarm relay
                              30 Red stereo power
                              87A Red/Yellow Radio
                              87 Red Buzzer (+)
                              86 Red
                              Last edited by Jackfrost; 06-28-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfrost View Post
                                Peytonvp was your boat shutting off due to the fuel pump not pumping.
                                My boat would die due to no voltage to the fuel pumps which was because of a bad relay. The relay would only go out intermittently.

Comment

Working...
                                X