98 sport star click no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 sport star click no start

I know this has been covered before but I could use some help figuring out the progression of diagnosing what’s up.

When I turn key to on there is an audible click, but the starter won’t fire.
    12.5 volts at the starter solenoid with the key on

Boat fires right up when I jump the solenoid to the starter with a screwdriver.

What do I test next and how?
    Since there is power at the solenoid is it ok?

Do I need to check the ignition switch?

Thansk for the help!
    Last edited by CharlesC; 05-22-2021, 01:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Neighbor had that on his boat...He swap out the starter solenoid. He got it started by knocking the solenoid a few times with the back of a screwdriver.
    Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

How to fish wire?

So I isolated the problem to a bad wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Next question... any hot tips on fishing a new wire from the ignition switch to the starter?

Comment

So I figured out a solution. Ran a wire from the ignition switch up behind the speedos. From there I could go into the storage hatch / battery compartment and then follow the main power cable back into the bilge.

Much easier than trying to fish the wire under the captains chair.

I’ve had several issues now on this boat with wires that have gone bad, would be curious to know if anyone has undertaken a project to upgrade the electrical overall in a boat of similar age (1998).

Happy skiing all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesC View Post
          So I figured out a solution. Ran a wire from the ignition switch up behind the speedos. From there I could go into the storage hatch / battery compartment and then follow the main power cable back into the bilge.

Much easier than trying to fish the wire under the captains chair.

I’ve had several issues now on this boat with wires that have gone bad, would be curious to know if anyone has undertaken a project to upgrade the electrical overall in a boat of similar age (1998).

Happy skiing all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yes and no, but let me say no. I have wired a lot of boats but not a newer boat with an electronic control module.

But I can say this from your input; I have seen wires corrode under the sheathing (sight unseen), in particular in harsh or semi-harsh environments. In particular, if OEM wiring is not tinned, the bare (sheathed) copper tends to corrode a little quicker than the tinned wire.

You may have this related scenario but I cannot comment on the newer (ECM) engines.

93 190
          (safe click)

Comment

Working...
          X