I thought it was the fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought it was the fuel pump

I have an 06 x-star. I was cruising down the lake about 20, pulled back to idle and it died as if the kill switch came off but it seems fine. It acted like it wasn't getting fuel. I bought a new pump (not Mastercraft) installed it and when I turn the key on, shows 50+psi.
    Does the engine have to turn over several times to purge the lines?
    Is that enough pressure to start the engine?
    what else electrically could be going on?
    I know that may be a very vauge description.
    Also my fuel gauge and my volt meter gauge is not working. Is that an indication of the kill switch being at fault?

Thanks
    kev

Will it not start at all now? This is not clear in your post.

Comment

50 psi is the correct fuel pressure.

I had a similar problem and it ended up being the MAP sensor.
      2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

No it won't start at all. Engine spins over fine but it don't try to start. I believe a fuse, breaker or something electrical is preventing the ignition. The main breaker at the battery shut off switch is not thrown. I had that happen one time on another boat so I checked that already. I know my post is not very clear but its hard for me to describe whats going on.

Comment

Where is the MAP sensor located? Is that a pretty straight forward to check?

Comment

Start by confirming that spark is your issue. After trying to start, pull one spark plug and see if it is covered in fuel. If the fuel injectors are firing, it should be wet with fuel. If it is dry, either you have no fuel pressure or you have no signal to the fuel injector(s). I'm not sure if your boat is throttle body or separate injectors.

Comment

2006 should be separate injectors, as my 2003 has individual injectors.
              MAP sensor should be just behind the air intake for the engine. Remove the air filter, the MAP sensor should be a couple inches behind the air filter on the intake. Exploded diagram here.

G

Comment

Check your relays. You should have 3 Hella relays on a metal plate at the front of the engine behind the back seat. Those relays are for the fuel pump, ignition and starter. Right next to the relays is a long (2.5") rectangular connector looking thing. Take the cap off and you will see 3 fuses all 20A. Those are the fuses for the Fuel Pump, Ignition and Battery. Make sure they are all good.

I just had the fuel pump relay go out on my boat. They are about $45 from Amazon.

Comment

Update: Last night I checked all 3 relays and the 3 20amp fuses in that connector near the relays. I also checked the kill switch again. I removed 2 different plugs to check if they were wet with gas after turning the engine over several times. Both plugs i checked were dry. There is fuel in the rail. It seems there is a relationship between the fuel gauge and volt meter/gauge not working and the injectors not firing. Anybody have any ideas about that? Does the MAP sensor have anything to do with it? I didn't do anything with that. a new one is pretty inexpensive so it might be worth changing just in case.

Comment

If you have fuel pressure at the rail then its not the relay or the fuse for the fuel pump.

I would focus on the MAP sensor. Call your dealer to see if there is any way to test it before buying a new one. My dealer did a system check and found the MAP sensor was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlash41 View Post
                      I have an 06 x-star. I was cruising down the lake about 20, pulled back to idle and it died as if the kill switch came off but it seems fine. It acted like it wasn't getting fuel. I bought a new pump (not Mastercraft) installed it and when I turn the key on, shows 50+psi.
                      Does the engine have to turn over several times to purge the lines?
                      Is that enough pressure to start the engine?
                      what else electrically could be going on?
                      I know that may be a very vauge description.
                      Also my fuel gauge and my volt meter gauge is not working. Is that an indication of the kill switch being at fault?

Thanks
                      kev
                      Try ignition control module. This is what my issue was as I did the same thing you did
                      2010 X-15
                      SOLD 1994 205
                      2011 Pathfinder
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                      1 kid in college

Comment

Working...
                      X