Bilge Pump Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge Pump Not Working

My front bilge pump is not working in auto or manual mode. I pulled the cooler to get to the electrical connection above the fuel tank and tried testing the female (switch) side with my multi meter to check for voltage. When I tried any combination of the leads the volt meter would jump around and never really settle.

Is there anything else that I can try to determine if it's the pump or something upstream of the pump? Are there any bench tests I can do on the pump itself?

jumping around is a weird reading. Did you have it on AC voltage by chance instead of DC?

Comment

My multi meter just has one setting for both AC and DC voltage. I was thinking that I could bench test it with a 12V battery but didn't want to overload the pump if it in fact does still work.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWilly View Post
        My multi meter just has one setting for both AC and DC voltage. I was thinking that I could bench test it with a 12V battery but didn't want to overload the pump if it in fact does still work.
        wont overload it doing that so long as you dont go 2 12v in series to make 24 V vrooom

Comment

Any 12V battery will work? I have a spare marine 12V on my bench at the moment.

Comment

Yes, any 12 volt will work.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will give this a try tonight to see if it's the pump or just the switch.

Comment

Working...
              X