What is this male plug for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this male plug for?

Trying to figure out what this male plug is for in my 2006 X30. Can I charge my battery from this?
    Attached Files

Follow it to see where it ends before plugging it in. More than likely it will go directly to an onboard charge that is connected to your battery(s).
    2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

We add those a lot to things like pontoon and fishing boats to charge the house batteries for trolling motors etc. Anywhere that the engine alternator output is unlikely to keep up with the charging needs say you troll 3 hours and run the engine 10 minutes a day. Can also be added as a way to have onboard electrics powered off a shore power lead if you have a boat that lives on a marina slip with power.

Comment

Yup, battery charger. I have one in my '07 X2. Just plug an extension cord into it and it will keep your battery topped up.
        '07 Navy Blue X2 MCX
        http://www.wakeblaster.com/
        Ballast Timer Reprogramming Info
        Timer Reprogramming Thread

Comment

Make sure the on-board charger is a smart charger. Go look at it and read the label.

A constant charge or trickle will ruin a battery.

93 190
          John 14:6
          2 Peter 1:3–8
          Matthew 6:1-4
          Romans 10:9

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
            Make sure the on-board charger is a smart charger. Go look at it and read the label.

A constant charge or trickle will ruin a battery.

I've had batteries on trickle charge all off season... why do you think that will ruin a battery..Never heard that before

Comment

sorry double posted by mistake

Comment

Originally posted by tommurtha View Post
                I've had batteries on trickle charge all off season... why do you think that will ruin a battery..Never heard that before
                I think you're just having a communication breakdown.

What most of us now call "trickle chargers" are actually smart battery maintainers things like battery tenders or any of the NOCO type smart chargers. These reach a charged status and turn off (green light) and then when they detect a voltage drop they turn on to slow charge usually green blinking light saying they're trickling. They also usually blink red if disconnected, or solid red if fast charging (usually still a low amperage like 1amp)

Old school trickle chargers however were just on at something like .1 or .2 amps and they would basically boil off the water in the lead acid batteries if you left them on forever.

So new trickle chargers good, old trickle chargers bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                  I think you're just having a communication breakdown.

Old school trickle chargers however were just on at something like .1 or .2 amps and they would basically boil off the water in the lead acid batteries if you left them on forever.

So new trickle chargers good, old trickle chargers bad.
                  I guess I've been lucky as I've used the "old school" for 40 years with excellent battery life.

Comment

Working...
                  X