1997 Prstar 205 w/ 350TBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Prstar 205 w/ 350TBI

My 97 PS 205 has the 350TBI engine and I ahve noticed that when I start the engine in the morning it fires right up but as the day goes on there begins to be a little hesittation and it take several more cranks to getthe engine to fire. Anybody have any ideas as to what may be the cause?

Thanks,
    Kyle
    Current Boat:
    2007 Prostar 197 TT Edition, LY6 400HP, Mini Tower, Heater, Perfect Pass

Previous Boat:
    1997 Prostar 205, 350tbi, Power Slot, Perfect Pass, New Dimension Tower, Shower, Heater, Clarion Stereo, LED Interior Lighting

Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Is it turning over same as in the morning, or slower? Check your battery and starter connections. As heat builds you have more resistance.

Comment

It is turning over at the same rate but it just take about 10 seconds to fire as the day goes on. First thing in the morning i just barley turn the key and it fires right up
      Current Boat:

Previous Boat:
      1997 Prostar 205, 350tbi, Power Slot, Perfect Pass, New Dimension Tower, Shower, Heater, Clarion Stereo, LED Interior Lighting

Comment

Kyle,
        need to know if your cranking speed is changed with a hot engine or just longer than normal crank before starting. any misfiring after start up, smoke, smell etc ?
        slower cranking think battery, cables, connections, starter.

longer than normal cranking hot think fuel pressure residual drop.

Comment

Sounds more like fuel. Try ignition on/off just before starting, to make sure you have enough fuel there.

Comment

There is no change in speed, It is just more time that I have to hold the key over. I have tryed to cycle the ignition to get more fule into the EFI. I was thinking that it might be a like a vapor lock issue. There is no spoke, unusual noises etc. Just a long crank time. Thanks guys for lending your help!
            Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

If I add a second battery for all my eletronic accessories how do I tie the second battery into the system. Do I just daisy chain to my other battery? Will that make it a 24V system?
              Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

In series makes 24 volts, in parallel makes 12 volts with more current (amps).

Rob

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
                1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (SOLD)

War Eagle

Comment

Ok this is a really stupid question but how do i install them in parallel?
                  Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

I know electronics from my electrical engineering classes in college. I don't know this is what you want to do on the boat. Big question is, can the existing wiring handle almost twice the amps???

Rob

War Eagle

Comment

I actually had the same problem at first on my boat that you are describing. My fix was to remove the water/fuel seperator (advise of the boat dealer). But I don't think you have one. I think they stopped installing them soon after 1994. My friends 1996 didn't have one.

Rob

War Eagle

Comment

Yea i believe it can. I have added an Amp, new stereo, VHF radio and some LED interior lights. Plus the boat came with a heater and shower. I have found that with the heater going and If I try and turn on the stereo it cuts out and the same with the VHF radio. My local MC deaker said to try adding a second battery to carry the load of the additional stuff.
                        Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

I have a fuel filter and that is it. I havn't chaged it since I have had the boat (2 years) I was goign to try that as well.
                          Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

I added a fuel filter in the back on top of the fuel tank to catch debris before going into the fuel pump. The water/fuel seperator acted as a filter also.

Where is your fuel filter???? after the fuel pump??? before??? You might have two.

I now have one before and after the fuel pump.

Rob
                            Last edited by rspiecha; 07-11-2006, 05:13 PM.

War Eagle

Comment

I appreciate all your help. I will check mine out tonight. I'm still trying to figure out the battery issue. If I link the positive to positive and negitive to negitive will that work to keep it a 12V system?
                              Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

Working...
                              X