Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 prostar 197 wont start/need manual/wiring diagram

Hello to all,
    This is my first post. History time: several weeks ago the motor (LQ9) would not turn over while using the key. We, my neighbor and I, just got the standard clicking, symptom of a starter solenoid gone bad. Battery had a good charge but we tried boosting it with no different results. BTW the boat (2003) only has 40 hours total on it. Its pretty sweet. So the starter Solenoid was replaced and now the motor turns over just like its suppose to but...... no ignition. We had ignition before the starter /solenoid problem.
    Heres what I do know:
    1. when the key is turned on the fuel pump spins up and pressurizes the fuel system. The shrader valve on the fuel rail has pressure, I did not use a gauge, just a rag to keep the fuel from spraying too far.
    2. The dash gauges power up and the check engine light comes on. The cel turns off during start attempts.
    3. The 3 relays at the back of the motor(fuel pump, ignition,and ecm) all click when the key is turned on.
    4. If we attempt to start we get no ignition but we do smell fuel , not a leak, just from turning key off and on during several start attempts. Just confirms that fuel is present, but not the psi.
    5. If we remove the kill safety lanyard the fuel pump does not pressurize when the key is turned on. I'm assuming the kill switch is fuctioning properly.
    6. The 3 fuses down near the big red engine breaker visually apear to be good.
    7. The big red engine circuit breaker is firm with no play. It sticks out about 1/4 inch and does not appear to be popped. According to other post one would definitely know if it was popped visually.
    8. All breakers under the dash are in.
    I have not had a chance to test the relays, but my other neighbor has an 02 prostar, different engine but same cadillac northstar ignition system, and I may swap a relay if they have the same part number.
    I have not tested to see if the plugs spark during start. I'll do that today time permitting. My gut feeling is no spark signal is getting to the system. Is there a crank shaft or speed/rotation sensor on the motor that signals the fuel system or ignition and if so where is it located?
    I guess I also need to check the grounds on the fuel pump and the motor.
    I've looked for inline fuses (info from other threads) from the ignition switch under the dash but did not see them.
    I dont know if the injectors are functioning
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram they can send me.
    Can anyone recommend a good service manual for this boat, a book that walks you thru the diagnostic steps needed to narrow down the cause of this problem.
    I'm hopng its not the ECM but is there a DIY test for this? Hopefully the ecm didnt get fried when we tried to jumpstart the boat.
    The nearest dealer is 60 plus mile away in Richmond VA. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.
    But I need a good diagnostic resorce or some help from my MC friends/family.
    I spent most of yesterday trying to analyse the problem and I caught my wifes cold, didnt sleep well so I may not get to far today. Summer colds suck..
    I do plan to go back and check the wiring/connections at the starter and batterry terminals. Those are the 2 things that changed since the motor was last running. Correct me if I'm wrong here but there isnt a wire at the starter that has anything to do with ignition spark is there? Thanks
    Last edited by f16driver; 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM.

Are ALL wires connected to the battery? Black to negative, red to positive? Is the red wire that is covered in black loom on the positive terminal?

If you have wire connected improperly the boat will not start.
    sigpicwww.boathouseh2o.com

Comment

Does it turn over, start, then immediately die? I had a friend who had this symptom and it ended up being a loose wire to the ignition. But as you hear the fuel pump priming, you may have a different issue (or a different loose wire). Good luck.
      Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

I have 4 wires or cables coming into my battery box. 2 solid black cables going to the 2 separate negative battery terminals. 2 Red cables/wires going to the 2 positve trminals on the battery. One of the cables is red with white stripe and goes thru a 40 amp fuse. All connections are clean and tight.

Comment

It turns over fine but never starts

Comment

Use a gauge to check fuel pressure. Check for spark with a timing light.

What is the service history and what happened the last times out before the problem appeared? Any overheat, run out of gas, stumble, surging, cutting out?

For checking the injectors and their harnesses, there's a thing called a Noid Light, which may be available fro rent/borrow at some of the chain auto parts stores, like Ckecker/Kragen/Shuck's and AutoZone. If they're firing, you'll see it light up. If not, you won't.
            Last edited by JimN; 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM.

Comment

i had the simalar symptoms on my 04ps197. after some time at the dealer, they finally found the problem. they identified it as the main wiring harness. what ever that is.

Comment

Just checked for spark during cranking and there was no spark. Sounds like the ecm or ecm relay, ignition relay, or ? Anyone have any ideas. Is there a crank/rpm sensor this engine and if yes, where is it on the engine?

Comment

JimN,
                  To the best of my knowledge, the engine has run fine. It only has 35-40 hours on it. I dontknow much about service history. Lets say it hasnt been in the shop recently( this summer)

Comment

Does an '03 have an OBDII port? Can you read out the DTC's? If so, that should tell you what component is bad...maybe.
                    M-Funf (a.k.a. Jeff)

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit

Comment

I dont know if it has OBDII. I havent seen a port but that doesnt mean its not there.

Comment

bump......

Comment

Looks like were taking it to the repair shop for some computer diagnostics. Were definetly not getting any spark, the relays all check good, fuel pump is pressurising, fuses are ok.... hope its not too painfull

Comment

There is a DLC at the rear of the motor and codes can be found with a scan tool, but not OBDII. OBDII is post '96 cars and trucks, and boats aren't that current because they don't need to be, although CARB and the EPA are making newer technology necessary (O2 and cat).

AFAIK, they don't use a cam sensor on the newer motors. I'll look in my manual, or maybe one of the dealers will add something.

Comment

Thanks JimN,
                              I need to take it to someone that has Diacom marine specific software for diagnostics.
                              Do you know of a particular scan tool that works for the DIY guy?

Comment

Working...
                              X