v-drive noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v-drive noise

Went looking to buy a 2000 x-star today and took a test drive in it. Beautiful boat but as we accelerated the transmission seemed to have some what of a whine or high pitched noise in it. Nothing horrible but kind of annoying. Owner said that it is a standard v-drive noise that can't be avoided. Is this true? Never been in a v-drive, would like to know if this is a normal characteristic of a v-drive transmission.

I have never heard this "noise" that he is labeling as normal ... but it could be from the prop and not the tranny, I know my boat sounds different with a 3 blade than it does with a 4 (just an example of somethign that could cause a noise) ... I would look at the boat you demoed on the trailer and see how freely the prop spins in the stut ... also, take a look at the tranny fluid, and worst case scenario have a dealer run through the boat before you buy it ...
    At least you know one person who collected from the Cash Rewards program

Comment

The 2000 X-star I used to own had a rattling sound when idling. If I put any load on it, it went away. My local dealership said a lot of the Hurth transmissions made this sound. That is the only weird sound I ever noticed out of my X-star.

Comment

Originally posted by T Scott
        The 2000 X-star I used to own had a rattling sound when idling. If I put any load on it, it went away. My local dealership said a lot of the Hurth transmissions made this sound. That is the only weird sound I ever noticed out of my X-star.
        That rattling sound was indeed considered to be normal and is reportedly the reason they switched from ATF to 15W40 as the recommended oil in their V-drive transmissions.

I don't have any whine in my Hurth V-drive, but my first thought if I heard such a noise would be the shaft strut bushing or someother abnormality in the shaft alignment.

OTOH, I don't know what transmission they used in a 2000 X-Star. The current V-drive tranny (and the one in my 2004 Maristar) is a Hurth ZF-63 IV, and if that's what was used in 2000 then the description of it being a "typical V-drive whine" is...uh...wrong. I doubt there is such a thing, especially in these later Hurth transmissions.
        '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

I have a 99 xstar and the whistle from the flame arrestor may be what you are hearing. It annoys me a little while under power. I don't think my transmission makes a whine, but it does rattle when going from idle to fwd.

Comment

My '98 Maristar had the same kind of high-pitched, almost turbine like whine. It wasn't loud, but you could hear it above the sound of the engine.

I replaced the ATF in it with 10w-30, and the noise went away. Quiet as a ghost now.

/frank
            1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Originally posted by racnatural
              Went looking to buy a 2000 x-star today and took a test drive in it. Beautiful boat but as we accelerated the transmission seemed to have some what of a whine or high pitched noise in it. Nothing horrible but kind of annoying. Owner said that it is a standard v-drive noise that can't be avoided. Is this true? Never been in a v-drive, would like to know if this is a normal characteristic of a v-drive transmission.
              If it's a harmonic sounding whine that comes and goes at different RPM's then, as PendO said, it could very well be the prop. The 3-blade that came with our boat had this and it drove me crazy. We changed out the prop with an identical model, but due to different ribs being ground down to balance, the sound went away. It's nice and quiet now.

Comment

I also have a '98 MariStar 200VRS and I have always heard the trans gear whine I think you are describing. I am running ATF in my trans, so it makes sense that the whine would diminish with a thicker trans lube. I always thought that the trans noise was more noticable because the v-drive drivetrain layout puts the trans forward in the boat under the center rear seat so any trans noise could be more easily heard by the driver/passengers.

Can someone tell me when the Hurth 63-IV trans fluid specification changed to motor oil vs. ATF? It's time for a trans fluid change and I want to move to motor oil if I can.

Comment

My understanding is that ALL of the ZF63-IV transmissions can use 15W40. There was never a change in the transmission, only in its recommended fluid. You should talk to your dealer to make sure it's OK to switch, but my guess is they won't know..in which case you can call Hurth, or ask them to make the call.
                  '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac
                    My understanding is that ALL of the ZF63-IV transmissions can use 15W40. There was never a change in the transmission, only in its recommended fluid. You should talk to your dealer to make sure it's OK to switch, but my guess is they won't know..in which case you can call Hurth, or ask them to make the call.
                    bigmac is correct. You can use 15W40 in any of the ZF63-IV or in any of the ZF reduction gears. The only ZF transmissions that can't use 15W40 are the in-line 1:1 transmissions, model 450D or 45C. Those units still require Dexron ATF.
                    Engine Nut
                    Indmar Marine Engines
                    Power to the Sport

Comment

i have a 2000 x star and mine tranny doesn't have any sound to it but when you are at full speed than back down to like half way it makes a whine like a supercharger but it is normal and goes away after a few seconds

Comment

Originally posted by CRAIGTHEMAN
                        i have a 2000 x star and mine tranny doesn't have any sound to it but when you are at full speed than back down to like half way it makes a whine like a supercharger but it is normal and goes away after a few seconds
                        Mine does that too, but it's the prop. Goes away if I switch back from my CNC'd 847 to the cast OJ that came with the boat.
                        '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Originally posted by racnatural

I've only been in a couple of v-drives, but they had the same type noise that you indicated. I was told likewise that the sound is indigenous to the v-drive.

Comment

I have been around high performance V drive boats - drag racing - and they all had gear whine. I think it was because they used straight-cut gears. You could open the end and change gears on some of them, for different ratios according to conditions. And they had a tach drive right off the end as well.

But I would sure think that they would use the quieter helical cut gears on a pleasure boat. I know I sure wouldn't want to listen to that all day.

I only say this because if your PO is used to the racket from the high-perf boats, he may not be trying to deceive, he may be going off experience from another boating realm.

As you see from the response of other owners, MC and similar boats don't seem to have the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac
                              This is a link to a current ZF Marine document "TE-ML 04" that lists the types of lubricants specified for their transmissions. If I read this correctly it specifies lube class 04D (ATF) as the lube for the HSW 630 type transmission (HSW 630 is the old name for ZF 63 type transmissions)
                              http://zf-marine.com/ZFR/Support/index.cfm?PID=5

Comment

Working...
                              X