Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel pump aftermarket part numbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cheers Mal,
    I'll send you an email, but maybe we can both get one and combine shipping.

    Comment


    • Hose Harvest & aftermkt pumps have same size barb as Carters

      Just to get the submersible hose, I got another MC fuel pump module with a burned-up Carter fuel pump. Whole module was gonna be thrown away.

      (a) the hose that comes with the Carter pump fuel module from MC is 1/4” on one end, and 5/16” on the other, and
      (b) the aftermarket pumps have the same barb size as the Carters.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Stu



      I think I've got some updated info.

      Just to get the submersible hose, I got my hands on another MC fuel pump module with a burned-up Carter pump that was gonna be thrown away.

      To harvest the ENTIRE hose, I had to destroy the barb on the burned-up Carter pump that came with the module I just picked. More on that below, but the this pump and my old Carter pump are identical, ("323 Made in USA"), with same sized barbs.

      OK, in the 1st pic notice that the barb on my old Carter pump and the module barb are indeed different sizes. A 5/16" EFI hose fits perfectly on the Carter pump barb, while a 1/4" EFI hose fits perfectly on the module barb. You cannot IMO get a seal with a 5/16 EFI hose clamped on the module barb.

      In the second pic notice that the harvested hose is set up for the different sized barbs on either end!

      In the 3rd pic my original pump is on bottom, with the burned-up one I just picked up on top. The top hose is much more flexible and less likely to kink, but it is still heat welded on both ends, and you can't just pull it off.

      It will be easier to reuse your old hose if it is like the one on the module I just picked up instead of like my old one. It's softer. To reuse it you can cut it, and go with a shorter hose, but the harvested hose seemed quite a bit shorter than my old hose was before I cut it in half -- and you need some extra in there -- so I cut the brass barb off the burned-up Carter pump I just picked up. Then I drilled the cut off barb from the inside till it started to spin inside the hose, then I crushed it a bit with pliers and was able to pull it out.

      I hope this clears some things up. Thanks bigmac, rhsprostar, and other for your ongoing commitment to this cause. BTW, sorry about the overuse of the word "harvest." Great Neil Young album though!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by stu; 08-13-2009, 03:18 PM. Reason: simplify for comprehension

      Comment


      • Originally posted by AussieMC View Post
        Cheers Mal,
        I'll send you an email, but maybe we can both get one and combine shipping.
        Sounds good to me.

        Comment


        • I still think the hose is somehow flared and not a different size. Possibly a little heat and then slide the correct size in that end.
          ___________________________________________


          ________________________________

          Originally posted by bturner2
          Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
            I still think the hose is somehow flared and not a different size. Possibly a little heat and then slide the correct size in that end.
            I think you're right. But I still cannot find a source for submersible 1/4 line. Only 5/16 and 3/8.
            d

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
              I still think the hose is somehow flared and not a different size. Possibly a little heat and then slide the correct size in that end.
              You're exactly right, factory flared to different sizes. Heat would probably help.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by stu; 08-13-2009, 05:32 PM. Reason: factory

              Comment


              • Speaking of fuel pumps I have a 1991 Prostar 190 with the 351. What model number fuel pump is this and where can I order one?
                Thanks for the fuel pump help.

                Comment


                • I think you guys have it right that they are the same size hose flared to different sizes at each end.
                  I can't believe that between all of us we can't find a source for that plastic hose.....
                  It's on my list for next week, i will keep you posted.
                  Nice work Stu thanks for the update. Lets get this hose issue sorted out and then we have it beaten!!!
                  sigpic
                  04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
                  Tournament PB 1/4 buoy @ 35 off
                  Previous...
                  96 Prostar 205 Lt1
                  93 Prostar 205 HO
                  81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)

                  Comment


                  • Need some help guy's... I have an 06' 197 TT and the fuel pump went out. I purchased the AC Delco EP 356 per most of your recommendation. I didn't install it myself, I decided to leave it to a professional. He installed it and told me she was ready to go. Took it to the lake for a test, it started but was running very rough so I gave it a little gas. It died and wouldn't start again. Took it back to the shop and had him go at it again. He said that the pump runs but it's not taking. bottom line, he say's it won't work??? I picked it up and am going to try and fix it myself. Has anyone experienced this? Any tips or suggestions?

                    Thanks a lot,

                    Frustrated MC owner

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by 06' TT View Post
                      Need some help guy's... I have an 06' 197 TT and the fuel pump went out. I purchased the AC Delco EP 356 per most of your recommendation. I didn't install it myself, I decided to leave it to a professional. He installed it and told me she was ready to go. Took it to the lake for a test, it started but was running very rough so I gave it a little gas. It died and wouldn't start again. Took it back to the shop and had him go at it again. He said that the pump runs but it's not taking. bottom line, he say's it won't work??? I picked it up and am going to try and fix it myself. Has anyone experienced this? Any tips or suggestions?

                      Thanks a lot,

                      Frustrated MC owner
                      I'd start by seeing what kind of hose the guy used to connect the new pump to the regulator, and how he secured the hose ends to those barbs.
                      '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rudaire View Post
                        I think you're right. But I still cannot find a source for submersible 1/4 line. Only 5/16 and 3/8.
                        d
                        I spoke with someone at Midwest Manufacturing, a fuel pump module re-builder. They tell me their distributor for convoluted in-tank fuel line is Power Signal Group. Tele. 800-722-5273. From looking at PSG website, my guess is that they get the fuel line from Delphi.
                        Last edited by bigmac; 08-28-2009, 08:29 AM.
                        '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

                        Comment


                        • Here's the Delphi hose in 8mm diameter which is 5/16". I am assuming this is an inner diameter. I have emailed them to verify and check on other diameters they might be able to get. Although I do not get a warm fuzzy from this web store, it does indicate that these hoses can be purchased by themselves.

                          Bigmac, how do you know that Delphi does not make a 1/4" hose? I am just curious. If this is true, then I might gander that it is a 5/16" hose used in our modules and shrunk (assume with heat) to fit the 1/4" barb.


                          http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Mc=DELPHI-E
                          Last edited by boofer; 08-31-2009, 02:01 AM.
                          Common sense is the least common of all the senses.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by boofer View Post
                            Here's the Delphi hose in 8mm diameter which is 5/16". I am assuming this is an inner diameter. I have emailed them to verify and check on other diameters they might be able to get. Although I do not get a warm fuzzy from this web store, it does indicate that these hoses can be purchased by themselves.

                            Bigmac, how do you know that Delphi does not make a 1/4" hose? I am just curious. If this is true, then I might gander that it is a 5/16" hose used in our modules and shrunk (assume with heat) to fit the 1/4" barb.


                            http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Mc=DELPHI-E
                            I talked to a not-very-informed phone answering person who told me that they (Delphi) no longer make 30R10 hose and have gone to all PTFE/FEP. I am not totally confident of her level of knowledge-ness.

                            I'd be inclined to buy some of the 5/16 and experiment by heating the stuff up over a 1/4 inch dowel and see what happens. It makes more sense to me that it would be 5/16 and shrunk to 1/4 rather than risk splitting the PTFE by trying to get 1/4 inch hose over a 5/16 inch barb. Heat-shrink PTFE tubing is pretty common in the electrical cabling biz.

                            How long is the tubing in the OEM module? I'm guessing we'd need the 14 inch long stuff?



                            /
                            Last edited by bigmac; 08-31-2009, 09:28 AM.
                            '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

                            Comment


                            • Nice find Boofer. Did anyone check to see if an autoparts place has them or can get them?
                              I will check a few around here.
                              sigpic
                              04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
                              Tournament PB 1/4 buoy @ 35 off
                              Previous...
                              96 Prostar 205 Lt1
                              93 Prostar 205 HO
                              81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by 06' TT View Post
                                Need some help guy's... I have an 06' 197 TT and the fuel pump went out. I purchased the AC Delco EP 356 per most of your recommendation. I didn't install it myself, I decided to leave it to a professional. He installed it and told me she was ready to go. Took it to the lake for a test, it started but was running very rough so I gave it a little gas. It died and wouldn't start again. Took it back to the shop and had him go at it again. He said that the pump runs but it's not taking. bottom line, he say's it won't work??? I picked it up and am going to try and fix it myself. Has anyone experienced this? Any tips or suggestions?

                                Thanks a lot,

                                Frustrated MC owner
                                I installed the AC Delco EP356 as a replacment on mine I re-used the hose that came with the fuel pump unit. I have not had any problems at all, boat runs fine. I would check to make sure there is not a kink in the hose, fitting loose, or wrong hose installed.
                                2007 X2 - Current
                                2004 X10 -Sold
                                1997 ProStar 190 - Sold
                                1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X