Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bturner2
    replied
    I'd watch that EBAY fuel pump. It's not a DELCO. If you read the description it's a RALLY that is compatible to a DELCO.

Leave a comment:

• Gert
    replied
    Here is a picture of the Bosch pump I found in the tank (sorry, bad pic) :

Anyway, I scored a fuelpressure tester for low money over here in Holland. Luckily for my this unit fits Plug and Play on the fuelrail-schrader valve. So, as soon as the MCX is waking up from her wintersleep, I take her for a ride and watch fuel pressure.

I contacted my friend who owns an fuel service (pumps and injectors)company. He told me that this Bosch pump is probably delivering enough pressure and fuel for the MCX. Otherwise it was impossible that the engine was able to operate at WOT, without hesitation.
    Every fuelpump is having an safetycircuit in it, that makes the circuit goes open in case of too much pressure. In other words, this Bosch pump is probably having its safetylevel somewhere at 4 or 5 bar. That appears to be used with 1 bar pressure pumps. With 3 bar pressure pumps, safety level is at about 8 bar.
    First I did not believe him, but indeed, at the bottom of the pump, there is a small hole with a little ball in it. I could test it by arming the pump and block the output, but I don't like doing that.

On the other side, on ebay, those AC Delco pumps are going really cheap.

So, I did bite the bullit, and ordered one. As soon as it is on my desk, I will do some tests. I am very curious how long this pump can work without cooling. :-)

Then the problem with the 1/4 tank stalling engine. Hmmm, momently, I have the pump unit apart. So I put the filter in an bucket with fuel, and looked what happened.
    Actually, the idea of this system looks good, this could work as an swirlpot, but strange things happened.
    First, if I block the little black breather hose. The pot is not filling at all. So the bottom filter need some vent to breath.
    Second, fuel level needs to be pretty high before the floater is high enoug to open the intake in the pot. And as soon as outside level is lower than the filter, the pot is soon empty??? I thought that this system with float and a intake what is going open and close should be able to keep a decent amount of fuel in the pot, but that is not the case.... hmmm.
    Perhaps if I remove the float it is more easy to fill the swirlpot. Dunno, I have to look into it.

Gert

Leave a comment:

• bturner2
    replied
    A sight update on recent pricing. I decided to finally pick up a spare Delco EP356 as a spare. Got it off Amazon for $103 shipped. Have the Airtex in the boat now which is working fine after replacing the original in July but didn't want to chance going out in the big lake or on vacation without a spare. My original hose seems to be working fine but wouldn't mind picking up a spare if anyone comes up with the definitive part number. Is anyone else carrying a spare tank gasket?

Leave a comment:

• nmcjr
    replied
    If your pump only has 22psi, I would replace it.

As a side note: my re-use of the old hose wasn't a success. I must have a leak in that hose, I'm assuming where it connects to the pump. It is causing an extended crank problem, although it ran fine at full tilt. So, I've got to work on a plan B for that hose.

Leave a comment:

• Gert
    replied
    Hi All,

Thought I should share my experience.

No probs for me with my boat (PS190 - 2004 - MCX). But because I could not fill the tank complete, and filling is going much to slow, I decided to take a look in my tank. Annoying too is that the engine is stalling with the tank 1/4 full.

Took the pump unit apart, and noticed a Bosch pump. I wrote down the numbers and it appears to be a Bosch # 0 580 453 507.
    So, I decided to surf a little and look if I could find me some info for this pump. Surfing on the net I bumped into this tread. Reading a little, I see replacement pumps with 45-60 psi, what is 3 - 4 bar, and about 95 liter/hour = ± 24 Gallon/hour (?).

Can you imagine how surprised I was finding out that my (little) Bosch pump is only 22 psi (1,5 bar), and 95 liter/hour.
    Actually I am worried now, reading all these horror stories. But strange enough, I have the boat with this pump for two years now, and absolute no problems..... starting cold/warm no problem, WOT no problem, never any hesitation....

This Bosch pump is normally installed in little four cilinder cars, with a whopping 1,400 cc displacement, and now feeding my MCX. :-)
    Boat did 64 hours now with me, and maybe more with the former owner. Bought the boat with 480 hours in Austria.

I do not know if I shall replace my pump or not. Is here anybody who has fried some pistons due to fuel problems?

Leave a comment:

• nmcjr
    replied
    I did mine last weekend. My old one hadn't gone out yet, but I figured it was just a matter of time. I'll have a lot better piece of mind with the Delco pump, and probably won't even worry about the 1/4 tank rule so much any more. It was pretty easy, and I was able to re-use the factory tube with no issues. The only hard part is getting the pump and the braket seated upon reassembly inside the module, but even that wasn't that bad. I don't think I'd do it on the water because you will have the top of the fuel tank exposed so any waves and you'd be spilling fuel.

List of tools needed:
    -3/16 allen for the module
    -I replaced the gasket and bolts
    -1/4 hose clamp
    -flat screwdriver for clamps
    -#2 phillips screwdriver for module
    -spare 1.25" hose clamp for vent hose
    -side cutters to remove factory clamp on the hose
    -fuel line fitting tool
    -very small flat screwdriver to remove electrical terminals
    -bucket to place the module in to remove from boat (its full of fuel)

Leave a comment:

• TallRedRider
    replied
    Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
    I think the EP356 and the Napa NPF F74111 are both good numbers. The Napa list at $82 while the EP356 is $129 at Napa.

I'm going to pick up the F74111 and put in the boat tool box.

I do have a question for anyone that has done the swap. Since I have not taking my pump apart can someone list the tools need to do this job? I was thinking of putting a spare set in the boat so if I needed to do this on the water or at the ramp I'd have all the tools in the boat.
    I put together a spare kit for my boat. I bought the fuel hose that was listed in the fuel pump 101 thread. One end is too big and will need to slide over the very end of the old fuel hose if the old one cannot be reused. A tight clamp will hold it on there just fine, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Wake2004
    replied
    Check out Fump 101 in maintenance section or here is what I did.

Here is some additional information that some might feel helpful:

1. I made this plate out of 1/8' aluminum to block off the tank while I was working on the fuel module. This is now stored in the tool kit in the boat so that if I need to replace the pump while on the water I can put the plate on to keep fuel from spilling out of the tank.
    2. I found this nylon 5/16" fuel line hose at Napa part #730-5613 it comes in a 10' roll for around $15. I tried some other lines that seemed to kink too easily, this line will still kink as it took me 2 tries to get it in but it does seem to be more robust and since it is packaged in a roll it already has some bend to it.
    3. I suggest cutting a 12" section of hose, this seems to be just enough to still be able to fit into the module. To flare the end to fit onto the pump side you can either boil the hose in water for 10min. or use a heat gun, after it is hot slide the tip of needle nose pliers into it and expand the pliers to create the flare.
    4. The trick to not kink the hose while installing it into the module is to create the loop before you slide the pump and hose assembly into the cup of the module. If you try to create the loop after the pump is already installed you are more likely to kink the hose.
    5. I tested this setup this past weekend fuel pressure held solid at 571/2 psi at all RPMs. Solid performance. I still need to find a new seal for my pump head, hopefully I will come across an old module before next season.

I cannot guarantee that this nylon hose is the correct stuff and if anyone would like to add to this I would appreciate it. I also have the APE hose on order and will keep it as back up once I get it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nmcjr
    replied
    Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
    I do have a question for anyone that has done the swap. Since I have not taking my pump apart can someone list the tools need to do this job? I was thinking of putting a spare set in the boat so if I needed to do this on the water or at the ramp I'd have all the tools in the boat.
    I'll try to remember to document this when I do mine.

Edit remove: Also, I found this 1/4 fuel line....

Edit: now that I look at it closer I'm guessing its not for high pressure so probably not....
    Last edited by nmcjr; 02-17-2011, 12:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CantRepeat
    replied
    Originally posted by nmcjr View Post
    Thinking of buying a spare. I've read all the threads and can't tell for sure, is the ep356 the right pump for an '02 LTR (330HP)? I'm 99% sure it is but I saw one post about a '99 and one about an '01 that said the pump wasn't the right size and so the mounting bracket wouldn't hold it in place right, so I'm not positive.

Also, I guess there's no new news on finding a replacement hose? I'd actually like to proactively replace my pump so I don't have to worry so much about the 1/4 tank rule but it appears there's some risk in damaging the hose and causing a bigger problem than I'm solving.
    I think the EP356 and the Napa NPF F74111 are both good numbers. The Napa list at $82 while the EP356 is $129 at Napa.

I'm going to pick up the F74111 and put in the boat tool box.

Leave a comment:

• nmcjr
    replied
    Thinking of buying a spare. I've read all the threads and can't tell for sure, is the ep356 the right pump for an '02 LTR (330HP)? I'm 99% sure it is but I saw one post about a '99 and one about an '01 that said the pump wasn't the right size and so the mounting bracket wouldn't hold it in place right, so I'm not positive.

Also, I guess there's no new news on finding a replacement hose? I'd actually like to proactively replace my pump so I don't have to worry so much about the 1/4 tank rule but it appears there's some risk in damaging the hose and causing a bigger problem than I'm solving.

Leave a comment:

• rhsprostar
    replied
    As far as pump specs go, I put(over two years ago) the 2065 in my boat with an LQ9 6.0.
    The specs for the pump, no matter what application they go in, are as follows:
    45 [email protected] max psi.
    I checked with Enginenut, who at the time and may still work for Indmar and he confirmed that that pump had sufficent capacity for my 6.0 liter motor.

Leave a comment:

• rhsprostar
    replied
    Over two years now and no boom!
    It is still a fuel pump that is designed. to be used inside a fuel tank.
    I believe that the reason for the caution on the pump is due to the fact that the part is not approved by the regulatory bodies governing both the marine and aircraft industry.
    You are good to go, don't worry.

Leave a comment:

• Splash
    replied
    Today I've changed the fuel pump on my `07 RTP. Thanks for all your input here, it has been really helpful.

Just a question, did you read through the instructions on your new pumps? Mine clearly says not for marine or aircraft use.

I'm a llitle worried as the pump is inside the tank. Marine alternators and rest of engine "attachments" are spark protected due to gas condensation explosion danger in a closed motor compartment.
    What about these automotive fuel pumps? Is my boat going to explode now?

Leave a comment:

• Dan2060
    replied
    this is a great topic. I ran my boat today and had hesitation issues. I suspect the generic hose is leaking. I do not suspect that it is the pump, only because the in the initial fix the boat ran great at full throttle and all areas in between.

I picked up the 30r10hose at Napa today and the FI clamps. Hope this solves it. The only concern is that this hose is much thicker than the prior hose. I wonder if it will inhibit the ability of the outside container (that surrounds the fuel pump) to move up and down. If so, is this really a concern?

If my thought process is flawed in regards to the hesitation issue, any insight would be great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X