Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.1L Fuel Injectors - removal procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.1L Fuel Injectors - removal procedure?

Anyone have hints or tips for removing the fuel injectors on a 2002 L18 (8.1L) engine? One of my winter projects is to remove all 8 injectors and have them cleaned, rebuilt or replaced.
    2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Got the fuel rail with the fuel injectors off. It was relatively easy - remove the fuel line and fuel return line, remove 4 threaded studs and 1 bracket, disconnect the fuel injector wiring harness and give a pull on both rails. Everything pops right off. Make sure there is not debris in the valley of each fuel injector or it will end up in the combustion chamber. Now off to get the injectors tested.

Comment

Just got back from the shop that I took my fuel rail to. Good and Bad news
      • Good - almost all 8 injectors were clogged but luckily all were disassembled, cleaned and restored to like new condition meeting the GM specs.
      • Bad - the fuel rails are almost completely filled with a black sludge that looks like mud. My mechanic was amazed the engine even ran. A new fuel rail cost $600+. Cleaning is my next best option.
        Here are some pics. The last one is the cleanest of the 8 injector ports.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by prostar205; 01-03-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
        Just got back from the shop that I took my fuel rail to. Good and Bad news
        • Good - almost all 8 injectors were clogged but luckily all were disassembled, cleaned and restored to like new condition meeting the GM specs.
        • Bad - the fuel rails are almost completely filled with a black slug that looks like mud. My mechanic was amazed the engine even ran. A new fuel rail cost $600+. Cleaning the s my next best option.
          Here are some pics. The last one is the cleanest of the 8 injector ports.
        Heck of a deal right there. Was that mostly if not all sludge or was there a certain amount of scale / rust?

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

Heck of a deal right there. Was that mostly if not all sludge or was there a certain amount of scale / rust?

Mostly sludge but it does have some larger bits too.
          Last edited by prostar205; 01-03-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Nice work Tom! The winter break have you in a deeper than normal project mode?
            2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
              Nice work Tom! The winter break have you in a deeper than normal project mode?
              Hey Steve - How are things? Hope you had a great Christmas.

Yes, as you have read, I've been chasing my tail on this fuel issue for the last year and a half. Started with replacing the fuel pump, MMDC, fuel rail pressure regulator, going through 3 sets of spark plugs, complete new spark plug wire set. Turns out the fuel rail is almost completely plugged with crap. Next will be pulling the fuel pump and inspecting the tank. If I have to, I'll remove the tank and get it cleaned. Luckily my "old" boat has a removable access panel in the floor that allows me to remove the fuel tank without splitting the hull. Thank God for old technology.

Other winter projects include rebuilding the hydraulic pump and manifold on my boat lift. Already got a new 12V motor for it. Lastly, doing a little trailer overhaul with a new UFP coupler and Gatorbak bunk covers.

That should just about do it.

Take care.

Comment

All that crap in the fuel systems must be coming from somewhere. I've seen a similar situation in the past when rubber fuel hoses were deteriorating. If there's that much stuff in the fuel rail I would tend to think the fuel lines will also need to be cleaned or replaced.
                -----------------------------------
                Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

What are people's thoughts about sugar in the gas tank? One of my buddies mentioned that. My boat does sit outside year round. Albeit it's in a secure marina in a covered spot.
                  Last edited by prostar205; 01-01-2022, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post
                    All that crap in the fuel systems must be coming from somewhere. I've seen a similar situation in the past when rubber fuel hoses were deteriorating. If there's that much stuff in the fuel rail I would tend to think the fuel lines will also need to be cleaned or replaced.
                    I will definitely be cleaning the fuel lines (or replacing if needed) and cleaning the fuel tank. I'm fairly sure I'll find some of this same crap in the tank.

Comment

Working...
                    X