Current Recommendation for Pennzoil 15w40 Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Recommendation for Pennzoil 15w40 Replacement

Many of the late 90s and 2000's boats recommended the Pennzoil 15w40 oil for ENGINE oil changes. This is for the pre-Cat engines. There are 10w40 Extended LIfe synthetics and 15w40 Diesel oils available but I haven't checked if they have the FC-W rating for marine engine rust inhibitor. I have a 2001 Indmar TBI engine.
    2001 ProStar 209, Red/Gray/White

You have opened a can of worms, my friend. Everyone here has strong opinions on the oil they put in their boats.

Personally, I am a Red Line oil fan and per their tech recommendation, I use their 10w40 full synthetic. Really quieted my valve train and the motor runs smoothly.

In all seriousness, choose a quality, name brand oil. If you plan to change it yearly and will have less than 100 hours, then you probably won’t stress the oil package very much anyway. Penn will be fine. Castrol will be fine. Red Line or amsoil will be fine. Etc etc etc.

PS - Synthetics rule! Dino sucks!

Comment

tl;dr Use any name brand oil of the viscosity specified in the manual, a good quality filter, and go have fun.

All modern oils (well, except the one you buy at the Grocery Store with a white label that says "Oil" in blue) are excellent. Asking which is best is like asking which NFL quarterback is best for your rec league flag football team. They'll all get the job done.
      Use a name brand, use the recommended oil weight ("thicker", i.e. higher viscosity) is NOT better in our application, because most of our engines are running much cooler than they would be in a car/truck. Lower viscosity oil means more oil flow, especially with all the engine start/stops we do. All those starts/stops are hard on the engine oil, as is the rich mixture that we run - so change the oil as recommended. Don't buy a bargain basement oil filter.
      All that said, I use oils aimed at Diesels - Rotella or Delo. At one time, they still had additives (Zinc, IIRC) that had been removed from auto oils due to issues with Catalytic converters. I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore, but hey my preference has been established. I use a Wix filter - it costs a couple of bucks more than the radioactive orange one, but teardowns make the Wix look to be built a lot better.
      1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

In my (old) MCX, I used either Rotella 15w40 or Valvoline diesel 15w40- basically whatever I could find first. I always use wix/napa gold filters (same product, different label). That's just me- I change oil every 50 (ish) hours and have never had issues.
        Last edited by TolCarMan; 01-24-2022, 10:22 AM.
        -Tolman
        '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
        '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

yay it's cold and snowy and life is boring for a while... firing up an oil thread is the best medicine for that!
          diesel oil will do just fine... or whatever flavor suits you and is on sale! mobil, amzoil, Rotella, etc....
          or we can argue about how awesome brand x is vs brand z....
          if you change it every year dino is just fine...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I know oil discussions suck and cause arguments, but I just though someone may have a good recent suggestion for a pretty specific question: FC-W rating with a 10w40 or 15w40 viscosity not just for diesels. The Rotella or the Mobil Diesel oil are not formulated for gasoline engines. There is one for all engines but it is10w30-not close enough for an industrial gas engine. I'll probably just go with Extended Life 10w40 Mobil 1... with no FC-W rating , but..... I like synthetic and the "Extended Life" additives to keep seals soft probably won't hurt my 21 year old boat. I always use the AC filter. For the guys above that think I'm new to boating, look at my join date. Glad to be back.

Comment

Good to see you back! Your "205 Changes by Year" back in 2005 is still one of my top 10 threads on this forum. I had it printed out as I was shopping for a 205 back then.
              OH-IO!

Comment

Originally posted by Footin View Post
                Good to see you back! Your "205 Changes by Year" back in 2005 is still one of my top 10 threads on this forum. I had it printed out as I was shopping for a 205 back then.
                Thanks Footin. Should be a sticky!

Comment

Originally posted by NSXBill View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies. I know oil discussions suck and cause arguments, but I just though someone may have a good recent suggestion for a pretty specific question: FC-W rating with a 10w40 or 15w40 viscosity not just for diesels. The Rotella or the Mobil Diesel oil are not formulated for gasoline engines. There is one for all engines but it is10w30-not close enough for an industrial gas engine. I'll probably just go with Extended Life 10w40 Mobil 1... with no FC-W rating , but..... I like synthetic and the "Extended Life" additives to keep seals soft probably won't hurt my 21 year old boat. I always use the AC filter. For the guys above that think I'm new to boating, look at my join date. Glad to be back.
                  My understanding is you need to use the diesel oil because it is the same as the marine version of the oil being able to handle the additional humidity... now I don't know if that is true or if that is "internet gossip". I use the diesel oil and have never had an issue.. matter of fact I use it in all my small engines because it has a higher zinc content... There was a change i believe to mobil one a while back though... so far no issue for any of my engines... as long as it has oil it will be just fine!

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post

My understanding is you need to use the diesel oil because it is the same as the marine version of the oil being able to handle the additional humidity... now I don't know if that is true or if that is "internet gossip". I use the diesel oil and have never had an issue.. matter of fact I use it in all my small engines because it has a higher zinc content... There was a change i believe to mobil one a while back though... so far no issue for any of my engines... as long as it has oil it will be just fine!
                    Texas Mastercraft has stated this is protocol that Mastercraft recommends and follows.

The higher humidity and overall heat have resulted in situations where oil pressures are affected when using a traditional automotive oil.

Just my two cent relay

Comment

Originally posted by LaramiePS190 View Post

Texas Mastercraft has stated this is protocol that Mastercraft recommends and follows.

The higher humidity and overall heat have resulted in situations where oil pressures are affected when using a traditional automotive oil.

Just my two cent relay
                      and in the older 2000 ish the recommendation was to move to 15w-40 diesel oil for the transmission... YMMV

Comment

Of course you can use whatever you want. The original question was what is available as a synthetic replacement to the original 15w-40 MARINE oil that has the FC-W. I started the thread and that is the question. Diesel oil does not have the additives to deal with gasoline engine blowback, period. I'm sure anything will work but, Diesel oil is not ideal. Jeeze.

It's been a minute and as it turns out it is hard to find a good replacement per the original question. But....there are some. Lucus sells a 10w-40 Marine oil for 4-cycle gasoline engines that has the FC-W rating. So does Amsoil, but I'm not wanting to deal with Amsoil hassel and $. There are also blends Like Sierra, Quicksilver (Mercruiser), Volvo-Penta and others. Many are marketed for newer 4-Cycle outboards but when you read the specifications, they are also good for Inboards and I/O so....

Comment

Originally posted by NSXBill View Post
                          Of course you can use whatever you want. The original question was what is available as a synthetic replacement to the original 15w-40 MARINE oil that has the FC-W. I started the thread and that is the question. Diesel oil does not have the additives to deal with gasoline engine blowback, period. I'm sure anything will work but, Diesel oil is not ideal. Jeeze.

It's been a minute and as it turns out it is hard to find a good replacement per the original question. But....there are some. Lucus sells a 10w-40 Marine oil for 4-cycle gasoline engines that has the FC-W rating. So does Amsoil, but I'm not wanting to deal with Amsoil hassel and $. There are also blends Like Sierra, Quicksilver (Mercruiser), Volvo-Penta and others. Many are marketed for newer 4-Cycle outboards but when you read the specifications, they are also good for Inboards and I/O so....
                          Best moderated thread here in the last five years. Good on you.

Crickets...

93 190
                          (safe click)

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an idiot (too late), what is the significance of the FC-W? The oil ratings I am used to seeing like the "S" series ratings are made through the API and appear to be relatively benevolent. Doing some quick internet research, the FC-W rating is made/certified by the NMMA, which I am wondering might be more of a political/revenue biased certification.

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the manufacturer cannot limit you to only their brand of oil as a condition of warranty coverage. They may however stipulate the specifications which the lubricant must possess for the warranty to be in effect."

Makes me suspicious that the NMMA rating means anything for the actual quality or usefulness of the oil. Their testing procedures are all ASTM standards for standard oil with the addition of a test in a 115hp engine with oil analysis at various intervals.

TL;DR - who knows.

Comment

Penzoil marine is not available in my area.I called Indmar they recommended Rottella 15-40
                              If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

Working...
                              X