Transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission fluid

I have a 2008 Prostar 197 MCX engine with a ZF Hurth 45A 1.3 transmission. The manual lists two different transmissions. One that uses a Dexron 3 transmission fluid and the other uses a Penzoil `15w40. I am thinking mine uses the Penzoil, but just wanted to make sure.
    thanks

Should be easy to tell what's in there already. Pull the dipstick. If red, Dexron, if black, motor oil. Are you just doing maintenance or trying to fix an issue. Some of the earlier ZF trans came with Dexron but ZF put out a memo that you could use motor oil for quieter operation.

Comment

I'm doing the maintenance. I am pretty sure it's motor oil, but just wanted some reasurance. It's definitely black.
      Thanks!

Comment

As I understand it, the factory changed to using the 15/40 to quiet down the transmission.

I am a Redline Oil homer, and would recommend their MT90.

Comment

Even if your transmission currently has auto trans fluid in it you could change over to the 15w45 without issue. It makes maintenance a bit easier buying just one lube type.
          -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by cantrepeat View Post
            even if your transmission currently has auto trans fluid in it you could change over to the 15w45 without issue. It makes maintenance a bit easier buying just one lube type.
            this!!!!!
            Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Working...
            X