Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some driveline vibration - where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my biggest pet peeves with forums is someone asking a question and then not posting a resolution. Welp, here I am to post my resolution (fingers crossed) to my issue.

To review, I had a driveline vibration that seemed to be "too much" for me. I posted here looking for advice on where to start. "Direct drive geniuses" pointed me to check the two most obvious things first: the alignment and the prop.

I realigned the engine and shaft and I believe everything is good there. I also sent my prop to OJ Propeller to ensure it's balanced properly.

I received a phone call from OJ on Wednesday (I shipped it Monday) telling me that the prop was done. OJ stated that at some point when it was "fixed" (I had it repaired once since 2017, one blade, very minor), used "the wrong pitch block" and all 4 blades were umm...f'ed.

So, lesson learned, if you have an OJ prop and need it fixed, just send it to Tennessee. They are phenomenal. And if you buy a new prop, the repair is free. I will post my results once the water levels up here go down and I can get the boat out.
    -2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 Tournament Team
    -2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude. 5.7L HEMI/ZF 8-Speed

Comment

Had the same experience with a local shop (per my previous post). Always ship mine back to the original manufacture these days. Good to hear you (hopefully) got this knocked out.....

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
        Had the same experience with a local shop (per my previous post). Always ship mine back to the original manufacture these days. Good to hear you (hopefully) got this knocked out.....
        Yes lesson learned on my part, however...

I am not convinced the guy I brought my prop to is the culprit. I only had one blade that needed to be addressed and I find it hard to believe that would lead to all 4 blades being out of whack. I could be wrong though.

I am wondering if the previous owner had it fixed at a shop that used the wrong pitch block and as a result, it had been vibrating for a while and that's what caused my shaft seal to leak and ultimately needed replacement.
        -2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 Tournament Team
        -2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude. 5.7L HEMI/ZF 8-Speed

Comment

Working...
        X