Sea water strainer or not....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea water strainer or not....

For 30 years my 190 has been without a sea water strainer. I've had no issues. I do make sure the trans cooler holes are patent a few times a year. Engine has run at the same temp for 30 years. Space is limited to install one on a 190. So, save my money or put one on? Something else to leak? Thoughts?

Only needed if you are on a lake with a lot of duck weed or other vegetation. As you said, your boat has gone without it for 30 years with no issue.

Comment

As long as you are checking the trans cooler screen and your lakes are not heavy with weeds or algae, you should be fine.

Comment

Thank you. Agreed. It is a nice item otherwise.

Comment

Mounting one is another challenge so it is easily accessible. A 93 190 is tight. Then what one to buy. The Indmar is the smallest. The shur flo is bigger and the Sherwood is as big.

Comment

My ‘92 came with one (basis Sherwood unit) added by an MC dealer, it was used on a lake w/ weeds. I don’t have weeds and replaced it with a shutoff valve and included a hosebib so I could either add antifreeze or test run off of a hose. It was located in the same approximate location as the aforementioned valves. I feel safer know I can shut off the raw water supply should I have a hose rupture or leak while on the water.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	6585EF6D-7CA6-4089-955D-F31482228488.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	2710874 Click image for larger version

Name:	DFE6B572-B698-4088-B570-1E7D7583F397.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2710873

Comment

That is peace of mind having a valve. I should at least do that because I decided a strainer is so so. I love engine pics. One thing I did early on was to put a piece of PVC about a foot long in my blower hose where it goes under the starter. That plate on the starter has and edge and was always wearing thru my hose. Since I went to 3 inch sewer line for RV's. Stronger then the thin plastic normal vent hose. They are amazing engines when 30 years down the road they run and run well.

Comment

Originally posted by d2jp View Post
                My ‘92 ..
                I like the Red Jacket cables.

93 190
                (safe click)
                John 14:6
                (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                X