1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205 transmission issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205 transmission issues

1994 Prostar 205 dd with chevy 350 in it.
    1442 hours on the motor

For some reason today when we were trying to get on plane the tranny seemed like it was slipping. If you throttled extremely slow it would sometimes get on plane without makign this noise. It was not making a grinding noise, it was just kinda slipping? or loosing power? Eventually it would be fine, and the boat ran with no issues for the rest of the pull (until we stopped and started again).

Once we were at riding speeds the boat ran like it always does and no issues, it was only when getting going.

I didnt check the fluid levels after today, but my father said he had checked them last week and they were fine. I did not notice any oil / fluids in the bilge, so i dont think it is the tranny leaking.

Im thinking the tranny is going and needs to be rebuilt. Any sugguestions or comments. Im also assuming it has the ZF Hurth tranny, but ill have to stick my head in there to make sure.

When you get the chance to check again, along with the fluid level look at the color and also take a whiff with your nose. If your nose tells you the fluid smells burnt and the fluid looks dark, then your suspicions about the trans are probably right.
    http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost...er=2572&sort=1
    Need LT-1 parts?
    OIL FILTER: Factory installed is a Penzoil P23, Afta market brands, AC Delco PF-454 and a Fram PH-13 or PH-30 will work.
    SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
    FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
    89058397 (pump outlet side)
    IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)

Comment

Transmission is :

Borg Warner - Velvet Drive
      Mod : 10-17-004
      Ratio 1:1
      s/n : 60759

Engine is :
      Indmar 1993 5.7 L TBI (Chevy 350)
      Engine S?n : IC 931217

Comment

Sounds like it is going to need a rebuild. You can get parts at www.skidim.com. They even offer a repair manual. If you are not into doing it yourself then it will cost less to remove the transmission and deliver/ship it to a shop than to drag the boat into a dealership.

Comment

I don't think i could do it myself, my dad and I probably could, but I am in orlando right now and he is in Miami.

It might just be easier for me to take it to the dealer, or as suggested mail it out for a rebuild. Any suggestions on who to use?

Comment

Can you buy rebuilt / refurbished drives somewhere?

Comment

I got quoted $850 from the dealer here, and waiting on the dealer in So Fla to quote me. How does $850 sound for a rebuild?

Comment

I rebuilt mine for the price of the kit. I had to make one special tool to do it. You will need a press.

You might try just changing the fluid. When mine started to slip I bought the rebuilt kit and changed the oil. I got another 4 or 5 years out of before I did the rebuild. Take photos of your dissassembly. It's really pretty easy.

http://www.marineengineparts.com/sho...l/page198.html

Alto 23901 Sierra 18-2591 Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission Master Overhaul Kit (Master)
                $229.00 $189.95 On Sale!

This is the kit I pick up for the 71c. Here is a link to the manuals on it.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=32581

You might want to replace the damper plate while you have it out.

Is that $850 if you pull the tranny or drop the boat off?
                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Where in the southeast are you?
                  -Tim

Comment

He's in Orlando Tim.
                    -Aaron
                    RED 1996 Prostar 205
                    Indmar 350 TBI
                    Acme 541
                    PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition

Comment

Drop the boat off, thats my issue. Im in orlando and not in miami where all our family tools are (as well as my dad who is a marine engineer). I dont have the means to drive down either, so im thinking the easiest way to get this fix is to pay the $850 for labor and parts to the dealer.

Im going to change the fluid this week, how exactly do you empty the fluids? Is there a plug to drain it, or do you just use a oil pump to suck it all out?

Comment

Suck it out.

Comment

from the manual it says there is a plug to open.

Comment

Originally posted by agarabaghi View Post
                            from the manual it says there is a plug to open.
                            Check the fluild when you drain it. If it looks brownish or has any kind of burnt smell you might get lucky on the change.

you can either suck it out of pull the lower rear hose off and drain it that way.
                            -Tim

Comment

can you easily get to the lower hose without removing the transmission? I know i should just go look, but im stuck behind a desk until 630pm and then class till 930pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X