Alternator upgrade (Stock to Stock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator upgrade (Stock to Stock)

I have a 2001 LTR330hp motor. For this year it came stock with a 51amp Alt. In 2002 IIRC they upgraded the Alt to 70-71amp.

Anyone know of any harm it would cause by simply upgrading to the higher amp Alt without changing anything else?

Thanks

i do not know the answer, but there is a brand new 90A alternator direct from Indmar on the wakeworld classifieds section under accessories. just an fyi.
    ¡Viva 205V!
    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Thanks brucemac.

they are asking a lot for that unit, I can find it for $175-$225.

Comment

So as far as my research can tell, upgrading to the 70amp or even the 90amp won't be a problem, it's all a matter of dram on the system.

what is an issue is that the new Alt's use either single wire or a single wire + a plug. My old style uses a wire and a couple of other wires with ring connectors for the connections. I will have to check this out before making the jump. Of course there is always the option to have it re-wound for a higher amperage, which may ultimately be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by wakescene View Post
          I have a 2001 LTR330hp motor. For this year it came stock with a 51amp Alt. In 2002 IIRC they upgraded the Alt to 70-71amp.

Anyone know of any harm it would cause by simply upgrading to the higher amp Alt without changing anything else?

Thanks
          Here's a sizing chart. http://www.alternatorparts.com/wire_size_chart.htm Measure the length of the longest battery wire, to alt. or ground point. Most audio/performance guys would say, go to next size up. You will be increasing you alt. size by more than 25%. Power cable is cheap, and easy to install.
          sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Working...
          X