Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like rocks in my transmission

2002 Prostar 197 , 6.0 L with the ZF Hurth transmission

When in gear, transmission sounds like cement mixer at idle and barely above idle in both forward ands reverse. At first it was only in reverse. It is getting worse.
    When I get up to speed it sounds fine unless the other noise is simpply covering it up.

I disconnected the the shift cable hoping that it needed adjusting and was not geting into to gear. However, the noise is still there without the cable connected and engaging the shift lever on the transmission by hand.

I looked at the fluid level. It is good. I ordered a filter and plan to change the fluid when it comes in. I did see all the comments about cleaning as opposed to buying but if that is the problem and it is this bad, I'll pay the $70 and get a new one. Can a clogged filter cause this sound? It seems possible since higher rpm (i.e. pressure and flow) seem to cure the problem.

Has anyone got any other ideas? It is sounding bad enough I'll bum a rides until I figure this out.

How many hours on your boat?

Based on your description, my first guess would be the damper plate. Not terribly expensive, but a bit of a PITA to change out.
    2002 X-Star w/ LTR

Comment

right around 700 hours.

that would be cheap and I can do it. Any tricks to confirm without pulling the tranny?

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know of any tricks. An experienced ear with a mechanic's stethoscope might help.
        2002 X-Star w/ LTR

Comment

I'm no expert, but if higher rpms make the noise go away, sounds like you need a damper plate. I wouldn't run her any more until you take care of it.

Be happy it's not a V-drive.....Prostars are much easier to work on.
          I was njskier on here.

Comment

Originally posted by woodrowskis View Post
            right around 700 hours.

that would be cheap and I can do it. Any tricks to confirm without pulling the tranny?
            Pull the starter and look for metal shavings.

Comment

thanks guys. I hope you are correct. I will pull the tranny in the next couple of days.
              I will do my best to watch some posts to help others out and repay the favor.

I have had an 86 Mastercraft from 1989 til 2002 and and the 2002 from then until now.

Comment

Originally posted by dmminfla View Post
                Pull the starter and look for metal shavings.
                sigpic

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word

Comment

I neglected to mention I do intend to pull the starter first.

I did have a starter failure on my 86 mastercraft and when I pulled it I found a piecce of spring from the damper plate. So I am familiar with this.
                  Question is, if I don't see anything, do I keep going?
                  I will be doing this tomorrow morning.

Comment

Based on the "sounds like rocks in my transmission" comment, I think you've got not choice but to pull the transmission. Hopefully, as soon as you pull it you will just see a broken damper plate. If not, I guess your next step would be to crack the transmission and start looking for rocks. And you might as well replace your shaft seals if you've got the transmission apart.

But, I still think I'd take "Damper Plate" for "$400" please, Alex. Let us know how it works out.
                    2002 X-Star w/ LTR

Comment

Pulled starter, no signs of problems. Went ahead and pulled transmission to get to damper plate. It looks fine. No signs of shavings or pieces in the bell housings.
                      I think I can get the transmissipon on a test stand other side of Houston.
                      Not sure about pulling transmission apart. Wasn't sure if that part was a joke. I realize the looking for rocks was. Any other ideas? Pulling transmission apart may be above my expertise and I have heard buying parts for ZF Hurth transmissions is just about impossible.

Comment

Sounds like a test stand would be a good option here.
                        CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                        sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                        REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                        REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                        Email - [email protected]

Comment

Your damper plate may not be totally broken. But it will make noise when the springs are loose and rattling in the damper. Mine didn't look bad when I took it out but it did rattle when in gear.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stewvette View Post
                            Your damper plate may not be totally broken. But it will make noise when the springs are loose and rattling in the damper. Mine didn't look bad when I took it out but it did rattle when in gear.
                            Wow. That new one looks pretty beefy. What is it?
                            2002 X-Star w/ LTR

Comment

Interesting. Did you find or do anything that lead you to believe this would fix it or just install and hope? I am thinking it will take me a good 4 hrs to install. The plate has been ordered and should be here any day.
                              But the test stand is an hour away so there and back twice is 4 hrs as well.
                              Also I noticed on your old damper picture and my damper there seems to be a couple of springs that appear to have wear or rub marks on them. Thats seems odd to me. Yours are at 12:00, 1: 00, and 3:00. Have a clue what that is about? There should not be anything there to rub

Comment

Working...
                              X