'89 351 Indmar constantly 140 degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 351 Indmar constantly 140 degrees

My engine in '89 Tristar never gets much past 140 to 145 deg after running constantly at about 2500 rpm's. Does that seem normal for this engine? I thought I should be running closer to 160 constantly? If that seems cold, I'm guessing start by checking gauge, then sensor, then thermostats, right...

Dumb question but, a 351 will run arond 140 with no T-stat,Are you sure it's in there? I Forgot one season To replace mine, Boat ran cool and annoyed me till found it in the glove box.
    extreme tube tower

Comment

That's a true statement an open or missing thermostat will operate a 351w at 140 degrees.
      First I would check the thermostat, that's the easiest and cheapest item.
      /spôrk/
      a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

Originally posted by homer12 View Post
        My engine in '89 Tristar never gets much past 140 to 145 deg after running constantly at about 2500 rpm's. Does that seem normal for this engine? I thought I should be running closer to 160 constantly? If that seems cold, I'm guessing start by checking gauge, then sensor, then thermostats, right...
        The 351 has a 140 thermostat. If you are running at 140-145 you are right where you belong.
        Engine Nut
        Indmar Marine Engines
        Power to the Sport

Comment

Mine ran that way until I replaced it and now it's at 160. Engines can run too cool as well as too hot.

Comment

Well, I've never touched the thermostat so probably time to check. This would be the one on top of the water pump right? Is it a 143 or 160 t-stat to be sure?

Comment

Well, I've never touched the thermostat so probably time to check. This would be the one on top of the water pump right? Is it a 143 or 160 t-stat to be sure?
              ^ according to engine nut it should have a 140° thermostat. I ran my 351w without a t-stat for a summer (mistake unknown to me when I bought my boat) and it ran at 140. I installed a 160° thermostat from http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=844 and it operates right at 160-165 on my gauges.
              /spôrk/

Comment

Then any harm in running 140deg? I don't understand what damage or harm could be done by running a cooler engine. Looks like according to Bakes it may just be more efficient around 160deg

Comment

Then any harm in running 140deg? I don't understand what damage or harm could be done by running a cooler engine. Looks like according to Bakes it may just be more efficient around 160deg
                  Imo no problem, only issue I could see is if a heater is in play it probably won't work properly with a damaged or missing thermostat.
                  /spôrk/

Comment

Location of thermostat...
                    Attached Files
                    /spôrk/

Comment

Thanks, mccreight! That's super easy to check. Would you recommend I have a gasket if I'm going to pull the top off and check it?

Comment

The existing gasket never survives to be used again. The gasket is cheap, so get one with the new stat, and apply a little silicone to both sides of the gasket to keep it in place and prevent any leaks. And don't over-tighten the housing.
                        CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                        sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                        REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                        REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                        Email - [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X