• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craig3972
    MC Fanatic
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mcmx2 View Post
    Does this look like the sensor that you took apart and cleaned?

I had the same issue three years ago on my 05. They wanted close to $600 for the whole thing. I called Chuck at BAWS and he told me that they either are fail or if it is intermittent (which mine was) they can usually be taken apart and cleaned and tightened. I did this and have had no problems for over three years and close to 400 hours now. I them saw someone post this link so I book marked it as I think (not positive) that it is the piece that goes bad and thought I may need one someday.
    Yes it looks very similar, same brand name as well.

Comment

• petermegan
      TT Enthusiast
      • Dec 2010

try: Mouser Electronics,
      682-9861R5KL2.0
      MFG PN:9861R5KL2.0
      5K OHM CW 6PIN
      BEI Sensors
      $80bucks or thereabouts.

Posted this a while back, my mate in OZ found this supplier as an alternative to replacing the whole unit through Mastercraft. Is a perfect replacement. Same as link I assume. Have fun.....

Comment

• CT_2006X2
        TT Newbie
        • Jun 2014

I just purchased the TPS from Mouser. Thank you! I think this is a going to be a great workaround instead of buying the whole dang throttle lever and now wiring harness that you have to have. With labor close to $900 from my local shop (boat town, Austin TX). However how the heck do I install this? Do you have to take off the entire right body molding that's all black, and houses the speaker? Any insight on how to get to, and install is appreciated. thanks!

Comment

• craig3972
          MC Fanatic
          • Oct 2005

I believe you can just remove the aluminum panel that the throttle is mounted to. On mine I can just remove the top screws on the black panel and gently bend it back to gain access to the backside of the throttle linkage.

Comment

• mikeg205
            MC Master Poster
            • Aug 2011

pictures please for the rest of us.. somebody buy some extra parts please.. Bruce at Action Water - Corey at Midwest - Rambo Marine?
            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• KurtG 05 X30
              TT Newbie
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by craig3972 View Post
              I took the position sensor off the throttle assembly, opened it up, cleaned it, put it back together, and it worked without alarming a code. Fingers crossed.
              Did you problem get solved? Im having the same issue, the dealer mechanic has replaced the throttle body and another sensor and it's still not working.

Comment

• craig3972
                MC Fanatic
                • Oct 2005

Mine failed last summer, but after cleaning and reassembly of the sensor , I haven't had any issues with it.

Comment

• Asamp005
                  TT Newbie
                  • May 2014

Craig - when your sensor failed, what were the effects? When you push throttle down, no acceleration? Was boat put into "limp mode"? I am having a similar issue and just trying to diagnose the issue.
                  Thanks for any input.

Comment

• jlmzaine
                    TT Newbie
                    • Jul 2014

Seem to be having similar problems on 2006 Prostar 197

2006 Mastercraft Prostar 197 with MCX 350 Vortec engine, factory Perfect Pass, and Drive by Wire throttle. Over the past year, I've experienced intermittent episodes where the idle becomes a little erratic. It is usually fine for some portion of the day, but it starts to act up. Idle typically surges erratically but does not drop below the typical 650 rpm. Occasionally, the check engine alarm goes off, and we turn the engine off. All this behavior occurs when the perfect pass is off. Is this behavior consistent with the problems seen by others in this thread? Were others able to replace the BEI sensor and resolve the issue? No recalibration necessary?

Comment

• Danno
                      TT Newbie
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Asamp005 View Post
                      Craig - when your sensor failed, what were the effects? When you push throttle down, no acceleration? Was boat put into "limp mode"? I am having a similar issue and just trying to diagnose the issue.
                      Thanks for any input.

Any luck with this issue? My 05 X45 is doing the same thing.

Comment

• adgrayiv
                        TT Regular
                        • Jun 2013

I have a 2007 X-Star and my Mechanic said he called Texas MC and they told him I would need a Throttle Body Assembly they said that is the part that usually goes out and not the sensor. But the part for the Throttle Body Assy is $900 - the Sensor is $350.

My problem started early in the summer the Chk Engine Alarm would go off (it had been going off and no codes would come up) Well I finally cracked a head and had to rebuild the engine. Anyway before and after the rebuild the Boat would go into safety mode meaning it would give enough power to plain out. I would then just kick it back to idle turn the boat off then back on and then it would work. Near the end of the summer it seemed to happen more often like 2 or 3 times each day. In the beginning of last summer it would just occasionally happen.

I guess my question is should I have him remove and disassemble the Throttle Body and clean? Or does anyone now where I can find this part for less than $900???

Comment

• Sodar
                          MC Master Poster
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by petermegan View Post
                          try: Mouser Electronics,
                          682-9861R5KL2.0
                          MFG PN:9861R5KL2.0
                          5K OHM CW 6PIN
                          BEI Sensors
                          $80bucks or thereabouts.

Posted this a while back, my mate in OZ found this supplier as an alternative to replacing the whole unit through Mastercraft. Is a perfect replacement. Same as link I assume. Have fun.....
                          Originally posted by mcmx2 View Post
                          Does this look like the sensor that you took apart and cleaned?

I had the same issue three years ago on my 05. They wanted close to $600 for the whole thing. I called Chuck at BAWS and he told me that they either are fail or if it is intermittent (which mine was) they can usually be taken apart and cleaned and tightened. I did this and have had no problems for over three years and close to 400 hours now. I them saw someone post this link so I book marked it as I think (not positive) that it is the piece that goes bad and thought I may need one someday.
                          I am bumping this thread for future reference that this sensor is the correct part for the DBW system. I was having an issue where my boat was revving to ~2,000 rpms every time the boat is pulled out of gear. Replacing this sensor fixed the problem and was a direct replacement that took me 20 minutes from start to finish.
                          -Cameron
                          2007 ProStar 197
                          1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• mikeg205
                            MC Master Poster
                            • Aug 2011

I will put in library.. Thanks Sodar!
                            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• Sodar
                              MC Master Poster
                              • Nov 2004

Pic of the sensor for reference.
                              Attached Files
                              -Cameron
                              2007 ProStar 197
                              1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• CantRepeat
                                • Jul 2008

Glad you got the boat fix. Strange that you didn't get a check engine light on that. Well, I'm not even sure there is a code for that sensor. I'll have to look.

And that sensor doesn't go on the TBI but on the throttle lever at the helm? I thought this thread started out about TPS?

Regardless, nice find and fix.
                                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Working...
                                X