Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Transmission Advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Removing Transmission Advice

    I lost reverse functionality on my 1986 190 Skier last June. Rather than take it down for the summer, I used it for the remainder of the season without issue... granted, also without reverse. But.... it's winter, so it's time to get it fixed.

    351 PCM power, Borg Warner Velvet Drive 1:1 71C tranny.

    I was qouted about $2600-2700 to remove, rebuild, reinstall and align my existing transmission from the local MC dealer.... which just sounds steep for a 30-year old boat. Especially when I can purchase a brand new, take-off tranny online right now for $1,699.

    That said, can anyone provide me with some detail on removing the transmission myself? Is it difficult? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and do alot of my own maintenance, but now live in a home with a smaller garage and limited space. Before I attempt to tackle it, I'm just curious of any potential pitfalls, difficulty, and in the end, how assured I can be that I'll end up with a properly reinstalled (and aligned) tranny.

    I've also heard discussions about simply replacing the reverse clutches since the tranny's running fine otherwise..... rather than replacing or rebuilding the entire transmission... Any input?

  • #2
    not difficult... most threads here indicate hardest part is sliding off once all bolts removed.... if it comes off easy should only be a couple hours. Kyle here rebuilt his tranny as well as others here. trans service manuals here... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfr...sion%20Manuals
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

    Comment


    • #3
      I have never done a trans. on a mastercraft, but on other boats we use to take extra bolts and cut the heads off and use them as guide bolts. Worked really well. Plus installing, slide the trans on and then replace with permanent bolts.
      1981 stars and stripes -powerslot
      sand with red metalflake stripe

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cruiser View Post
        I have never done a trans. on a mastercraft, but on other boats we use to take extra bolts and cut the heads off and use them as guide bolts. Worked really well. Plus installing, slide the trans on and then replace with permanent bolts.
        Always a great method.
        CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
        sigpic

        CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

        $125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
        REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
        REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
        Email - [email protected]

        Comment


        • #5
          ooo what a crafty idea...
          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

          Comment


          • #6
            I wonder how much of the $2600 quote was for removal/installation? I have some potential transmission issues myself and asked a local transmission mechanic a lot of questions. After listening to my boat idle and run on the water in August he asked two questions:

            1. Was I aware if the transmissions were still available new?
            2. How much is a new one?

            His rational was as follows:

            A Velvet Drive is a very simple transmission for a pro(apparently they are also used in fork lifts etc). You can't know what you're into until the trans. is open and on the bench, that being said, he said if the cost to fix came close to or exceeded the rebuild cost, it would be my choice which way to go. Therefore $1700 + tax is the maximum repair/replace cost.

            To my mind an extra pair of hands or two (steaks and beer should cover it) and an engine hoist rental seems like money well spent if you can save $1000

            Comment


            • #7
              $1249 at Michigan motors. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/velvet...transmissions-

              remanufactured-p-1427.html?gclid=CJ23t5za9rsCFahDMgod8iIAfg

              rebuild kit $150 - maybe something a local vocational school could do - I wonder how many hours it takes to rebuild - plus I you need a shop press.

              I'd probably take a crack at it.. shop press at Harbour Frieght $110... not bad for something I would use once and then sell for $50-$75

              But I love tinkering...
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

              Comment


              • #8
                I rebuilt a couple paragons from chris crafts over the years. Once you commit to it and get started you can get a lot done in a short period. Couple of friends make it sooooo much better.
                1981 stars and stripes -powerslot
                sand with red metalflake stripe

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                  Awesome, thanks. I emailed them (rather than call, since they're closed today) to inquire about potential rebuilding services, and if so, a qoute, otherwise, I'd be curious whether I could eliminate shipping costs since they're only about 2-3 hours away and I'd be willing to just pick it up. Perhaps they'd even offer a core charge to swap out a reman with my old unit.

                  Worth asking... and they're close.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PineLakeRumble View Post
                    I wonder how much of the $2600 quote was for removal/installation?
                    I was qouted $2000 just to rebuild my existing tranny or $2400 to replace with a remanufactured unit.

                    On top of that, it was $600-700 if I brought them the boat and they needed to perform the removal, reinstallation, alignment, and testing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                      I was qouted $2000 just to rebuild my existing tranny or $2400 to replace with a remanufactured unit.

                      On top of that, it was $600-700 if I brought them the boat and they needed to perform the removal, reinstallation, alignment, and testing.
                      I bet they send it out and then tack on some profit. I bet a good transmission shop would do it for a lot less. In the end I would see if Michiganmotorz would give you a core credit... or rebuild it and try to sell it if you have the time and a few extra $$$ for parts.
                      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        People (correct craft fan)talk highly of Eric Levine, who owns fantastic finish marine in Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's well under a $1000.00 to rebuild. You ship it in a milk crate.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                          I lost reverse functionality on my 1986 190 Skier last June. Rather than take it down for the summer, I used it for the remainder of the season without issue... granted, also without reverse. But.... it's winter, so it's time to get it fixed.

                          351 PCM power, Borg Warner Velvet Drive 1:1 71C tranny.

                          I was qouted about $2600-2700 to remove, rebuild, reinstall and align my existing transmission from the local MC dealer.... which just sounds steep for a 30-year old boat. Especially when I can purchase a brand new, take-off tranny online right now for $1,699.

                          That said, can anyone provide me with some detail on removing the transmission myself? Is it difficult? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and do alot of my own maintenance, but now live in a home with a smaller garage and limited space. Before I attempt to tackle it, I'm just curious of any potential pitfalls, difficulty, and in the end, how assured I can be that I'll end up with a properly reinstalled (and aligned) tranny.

                          I've also heard discussions about simply replacing the reverse clutches since the tranny's running fine otherwise..... rather than replacing or rebuilding the entire transmission... Any input?
                          Time is on your side with this one. Removing, reinstalling, and realigning your trans is definitely in the realm of a shade tree mechanic. Rebuilding one is not rocket science either but as mikeg205 said you will need a shop press and some speciality hand tools. Removing the trans shouldn't take anymore then two hours tops, if you've done it before. Add an hour or two if you learn as you go. Wish you were near me, that trans would be out already.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you choose to do it yourself, be sure to take lots of pictures as you take everything apart. I have saved myself from having to ask some stupid questions here when there are pics to refer to.
                            CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                            sigpic

                            CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

                            $125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                            REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                            REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                            Email - [email protected]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Anyone know of any good "Haynes-type" manuals to walk me through removal?

                              For the most part it appears failry straight forward, but I'd like to avoid small set-backs like bending something removing the drive coupler, not re-installing a part in precisely the correct alignment, etc. Sometimes the easist parts to screw up are the ones you don't realize you're screwing up... and a few posts I've read seem to indicate that disconnecting the coupler or pulling the shaft can be a real beotch if done wrong.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X