Brass washer in raw water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass washer in raw water pump

Below is the interior of the raw water pump on the 350 TBI on my 1994 190 I purchased last year. Am I missing a brass washer in there? I don't see one.

Engine Nut has posted instructions for a water pump rebuild that calls for a brass washer on the splined shaft and behind the impeller, but I'm not sure if that applies to my particular pump. Somebody else noted on the forum several years ago they had never seen a brass washer on the water pump on their LT1, but a resolution was not publicly posted as near as I can tell.

While replacing an intact impeller on this boat, I just discovered a broken piece of a previous impeller lodged in the intake of this raw water pump (see second photo below), so I can't just trust that everything is put together properly.

Any help would be appeciated as I'm trying to launch this thing tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1994 Mastercraft ProStar 190 350 TBI raw water pump interior (for upload).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	2437072

Click image for larger version

Name:	1994 Mastercraft ProStar 190 350 TBI piece of broken impeller in water pump.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2437073
    1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1, ACME 541, PTM Edge VR-140

I dont see the rubber bushing either. so I would say yes.
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

According to the attached directions, you should have a thin brass washer inside the pump housing. Now, mine didn't have one their either last year when I rebuilt it. Someone had installed it OUTSIDE the pump housing between the bearing and housing. I'm guessing it doesn't make that much difference and maybe just keeps the seal inside from wearing against the impeller faster.
      Attached Files

Comment

You may want to check the bearings... They are sealed and lubricated for life. But with the washer and bushing missing temp differential have cause some water intrusion into bearings. Original pump I presume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
          You may want to check the bearings... They are sealed and lubricated for life. But with the washer and bushing missing temp differential have cause some water intrusion into bearings. Original pump I presume?

It looks to me like the pump could be original, but I bought the boat only last year from a dealer and don't have contact with the previous owner(s), so I don't know the pump history other than it has apparently had at least one previous impeller fail. I've concluded an impeller failed because I removed the impeller piece in the photo above and another piece came out of an exhaust manifold drain when I was draining water because of an upcoming hard freeze in January. The impeller that was in the pump when I opened it was intact.

Should I rebuild it or replace it? How much money can you save by rebuilding?

Comment

By the way, appearance-wise, how can I address that rust behind the raw water pump in the first photo? The engine otherwise looks nice. This rust on the front sticks out like a sore thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post

By "bushing" are you referring to something missing off of this seal or to something else?

Indmar Part No. 685004 -- Seal

Comment

Originally posted by lake weir skier View Post
                By "bushing" are you referring to something missing off of this seal or to something else?

Indmar Part No. 685004 -- Seal
                here are the pieces of my pump that I threw out and replaced with new. note corrosion on bearing. rebuild kit plus bearings - new pump. Need a press to remove and install bearings. - $169.00
                Attached Files

Comment

It looks kind of shiny and metallic in the photo, but I pushed on the innermost ring in the photo with a screwdriver and it deformed like the rubber or plastic portion of a seal. It's a seal. The only missing part I've been able to identify is the brass washer. Vince at DIM says he's seen them with and without and doesn't think I should worry about it. I would prefer to have one in there.

Comment

The bearings are a standard size. I bought a new seal and some new bearings and rebuilt mine last year. No press required, just have to get creative and 'walk' the bearings off with a drift.
                    Bailey
                    '02 X-9
                    Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

Originally posted by lake weir skier View Post
                      It looks kind of shiny and metallic in the photo, but I pushed on the innermost ring in the photo with a screwdriver and it deformed like the rubber or plastic portion of a seal. It's a seal. The only missing part I've been able to identify is the brass washer. Vince at DIM says he's seen them with and without and doesn't think I should worry about it. I would prefer to have one in there.
                      The long kit from inboardonline.com has the brass washer.

http://store.inboardonline.com/iwwid..._tree?cat=2350
                      '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinGA View Post
                        The bearings are a standard size. I bought a new seal and some new bearings and rebuilt mine last year. No press required, just have to get creative and 'walk' the bearings off with a drift.

Slow pics 😃

Comment

Working...
                        X