1986 fuel pump issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 fuel pump issues

My fuel pump is going in and out. I've narrowed it to that because the line on the inlet side will have gas in it but the outlet line is dry. I can't seem to find a fuel pump that looks like mine. I found the Airtex 6696 that is the same, but nobody seems to carry it anymore and I don't want a fuel pump from Bubba on ebay. It's the 351W and I've used Airtex's product catalog to try to find an alternative part (found a 60389), but it looks slightly different. I also can't find anything with the flow rates and pressure for the 6696 to see if the 60389 will be too small or large. My boat also has a Holly 4-Barrel, but it ran fine before with just the stock fuel pump.

Any ideas??

I just purchased the carter 6696 just last month from rock auto I think shipped to my door it was around $90. Go to their website and go under marine indmar and enter your year and engine size should have what you want.

Comment

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...TER_M6696.html
      CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
      sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
      REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
      REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
      Email - [email protected]

Comment

rock auto is our friend..
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-6696-...-/160765776385

this is what mine looks like. I just don't want to order something that is going to have too high or low flow or too high or low psi and I'm stuck in the same boat I'm in now. I can't seem to find any stats on the flow rates or pressures of the 6696 so I'm not sure what will work. I tried an electric one with 30gph and it could idle fine, but once I tried to accelerate it couldn't keep up.

Also I guess I should have added that mine is a PCM 351W

Comment

I just found this on RockAuto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...56&cc=10000771

Mine has something that looks like this that is in the line before the mechanical pump. Is this standard? Or is mine just a filter that looks like this? Mine did have fuel in the line just after this right at the mechanical pump, but nothing above the mechanical pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaneer View Post
              I just found this on RockAuto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...56&cc=10000771

Mine has something that looks like this that is in the line before the mechanical pump. Is this standard? Or is mine just a filter that looks like this? Mine did have fuel in the line just after this right at the mechanical pump, but nothing above the mechanical pump.
              The filter is what looks like that, chances are if you didnt know its a filter. Change it first, then try. No matter how many pumps, electric or mechanical you install there wont be any fuel delivery. Also check the condition of the fuel lines back to the tank. If there has been a lot of ethanol ran in the boat, the fuel lines could be damaged. The breakdown of the lines could have stopped up the filter. I have personally never witnesses a mechanical pump failure, but back to the ethanol thing again, it can dry out the diaphrams and seals and gaskets. Check out all of the above and go to www.skidim.com . They'll have everything you need along with great advice, if you call. Good luck.

Comment

I got my marine fuel from www.skidim.com for my 1986 MC with a 351 engine , Vince helped me , also PO had removed the water separator and also installed a auto fuel pump so he sold me the Sierra unit which I installed before the fuel pump . I replaced everything from the fuel tank to the carb , Vince hooked me up with everything I needed .
                Last edited by nascar; 09-11-2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I'm confused, why fix if it wasn't broken? Sounds like you just got a bad pump... I'd call Vince back, he's always been very good to me and my 85'... just check that fuel line, I've saw a few posts on here of folks having problems with them on the older boats. I've been fortunate to always have several gas stations available with 100% gas

Comment

Also check to make sure that new filter is installed, put together correctly... i just made the same mistake on a diesel engine... plumbed the filter housing wrong and was sending unfiltered fuel to the injector pump.... whoops... they looked the same but had a different routing configuration. Gas will only have 1 in and 1 out. This diesel has 3 in and 1 out.. about a thousand dollar mistake:banghead:

Comment

They changed from PCM to Indmar 1/2 way thru 86 and the fuel pumps are different. Thats about all I can help with. I had the later Indmar and never needed a fuel pump.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar View Post
                        I got my marine fuel from www.skidim.com for my 1986 MC with a 351 engine , Vince helped me ,. Vince hooked me up with everything I needed .
                        this iz the tiket

Eithe pump for PCM or Indmar will work. the driver here is the configuration of the hard fuel line from the pump to the carb. If you are replacing the pump wit the water esperator, that is the Indmar route. You can use the PCM pump with a accompanying new fuel line (configured to meet the different outlet location on the pump]. Call and talk to the man at skidim. I have used both secnarios wit sgood luck
                        93 190
                        John 14:6
                        2 Peter 1:3–8
                        Matthew 6:1-4

Comment

Working...
                        X