1989 Tristar 190 high water temp at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Tristar 190 high water temp at idle

I bought a 1989 Tristar190 with a Indmar 351 and am experiencing an high water temp (220) at idle speeds but cools down to 160 ish when at cruising speed. This started when I reinstalled the thermostat which the previous owner took out (160 degree thermostat). With no thermostat it runs cold (110) the whole time. It only does this when its on the water. Stays cool one fake lake. Anyone have thoughts on what the issue could be? The raw water impeller is good shape the circulation pump appears to be the original. I would rather not just through parts at it so if there is any troubleshooting that I can do please let me know.
    Last edited by flyguy570; 10-13-2014, 05:44 PM.

#1 - how old is impeller?
    #2 - Raw water pump housing may be worn...
    #3 - marine thermostat?
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

The impeller is maybe 2 years old
      The raw water pump housing looks good but with out a dimension I don't know if it's worn on the fake lake it will sick sick the house down
      I'm not sure if it is a marine thermostat or not. How can you tell?
      Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
      #1 - how old is impeller?
      #2 - Raw water pump housing may be worn...
      #3 - marine thermostat?

Comment

try a new impeller veins most likely soft or taken a set.- and not sure on the 351 but there should be a by pass hole in T-stat.
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

I would do as the others said but instead of just doing the impeller i would do the impeller and t-stat both.

Comment

I was already planning on doing the thermostat and the impeller just to get them on my own maintenance schedule. I guess what I'm wondering is if I should change the circulation pump as well? I opened it up and it is pretty corroded inside but it is not leaking out of the weep hole yet. Basically I know that I probably should since I have it off and have some piece of mind when I take it to the lake next summer, but was looking for some reassurance. I've worked on plenty of motors (cars, airplanes, and outboards) in the past but this is my first true inboard.

Comment

Another thing to look for it partial blockage in the cooling lines. A small amount of weeds, trash, old impeller vanes, etc can significantly reduce cooling. Usually is a screen at the trans cooler.

Comment

I've checked for blockage and didn't find anything. I should mention that the manifolds are cool when running and the intake is warm but you can touch it with out being burnt. Based on the way the water flows that leads me to believe the raw water pump is working fine and that I have either a thermostat or circulation water pump issue. Is it possible that the circulation pump isn't moving enough water at idle?

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
                Another thing to look for it partial blockage in the cooling lines. A small amount of weeds, trash, old impeller vanes, etc can significantly reduce cooling. Usually is a screen at the trans cooler.

Comment

1989 Tristar 190 high water temp at idle

Mine runs like that when hot out and lake temp warm with 160 t-stat , when super hot out I jut go back to the 142 degree
                  t-stat. Which is what came in it from the factory And it fixes all my heat problems.
                  I also did replace my raw water pump which helped also. Mine had a tiny leak in the rear seal of pump causing it to suck in air and lose prime
                  sigpic

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy570 View Post
                    I've checked for blockage and didn't find anything. I should mention that the manifolds are cool when running and the intake is warm but you can touch it with out being burnt. Based on the way the water flows that leads me to believe the raw water pump is working fine and that I have either a thermostat or circulation water pump issue. Is it possible that the circulation pump isn't moving enough water at idle?
                    The vanes on the circulation pump can deteriorate over time and reduce the volume of water pumped.
                    CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                    sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                    REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                    REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                    Email - [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by pbgbottle View Post
                      Mine runs like that when hot out and lake temp warm with 160 t-stat , when super hot out I jut go back to the 142 degree
                      t-stat. Which is what came in it from the factory And it fixes all my heat problems.
                      I also did replace my raw water pump which helped also. Mine had a tiny leak in the rear seal of pump causing it to suck in air and lose prime
                      How warm is a "warm lake temp" in BC?!!
                      Bailey
                      '02 X-9
                      Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

Yeah our lake temp is currently under 70 so it should be running pretty cool. The vanes on the circulation pump are pretty corroded so I'm going to try that first. I plan on doing the impeller and thermostat as well but I want to do them all one at a time while at the lake to figure out for sure which component is causing the issue. That is if it ever quits raining here.
                        I'll get this all done just in time to winterize it.

Comment

Welcome flyguy - sounds like you have good suggestions across the board. If you are unsure about whether you got the correct t stat, and / or if you want to order other parts for your pump like a new impeller, try skidim.com. They will always hook you up with the right stuff. And while we're on the subject of your cooling system, you might consider pulling your risers and exhaust manifolds this winter and have a look since this boat is new to you. I doubt they are contributing to your temp problem, but gaskets are cheap and a healthy cooling system is the most important part of your boat. Worth checking out. Good luck.
                          -Scott

Comment

Scott - thanks for the advice on the risers and skidim.com. I've used skidim for a few things and that seem to be pretty helpful. With all of the work I'm putting into this thing summer won't get here soon enough.
                            Originally posted by scottpiper27 View Post
                            Welcome flyguy - sounds like you have good suggestions across the board. If you are unsure about whether you got the correct t stat, and / or if you want to order other parts for your pump like a new impeller, try skidim.com. They will always hook you up with the right stuff. And while we're on the subject of your cooling system, you might consider pulling your risers and exhaust manifolds this winter and have a look since this boat is new to you. I doubt they are contributing to your temp problem, but gaskets are cheap and a healthy cooling system is the most important part of your boat. Worth checking out. Good luck.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nice interior of BC shuswap lake july and august

can average between 70-77°F with an air temp of averaging 90°F my engine starts to cook .

my local lake is always cold , so i usually use the 160 . but on my vacation i always end up putting in the 142 .

Originally posted by CruisinGA View Post
                              How warm is a "warm lake temp" in BC?!!
                              sigpic

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).

Comment

Working...
                              X