'78 stars and stripe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '78 stars and stripe

Looking for a bit of help. I just bought the boat and noticed that on the transom there are two plugs, the standard one that uses a crescent wrench to turn off and the other is an old fashioned rubber plug that you pull out to drain the water. When I turned the other with the crescent wrench I was getting oil out and so quickly put it back in an tightened it up. Wish I had taken a photo but does anyone know what the second plug is for. I am sure the rubber one is for the drain. Also I noticed that the boat does not seem to have a through hull fitting. Am I mistaken on that.

No thru hull fitting on the old ones. I had a 77, I'm guessing the other plug is a remote engine oil drain the was installed aftermarket. Changing oils on those without one is usually petty messy. I used to use 2 plastic trash bags under the engine tape to the pan, when drained I'd carefully ease the bag out. Always a fun and risky proposition

Comment

Originally posted by tommurtha View Post
      No thru hull fitting on the old ones. I had a 77, I'm guessing the other plug is a remote engine oil drain the was installed aftermarket. Changing oils on those without one is usually petty messy. I used to use 2 plastic trash bags under the engine tape to the pan, when drained I'd carefully ease the bag out. Always a fun and risky proposition
      You hit the nail on the head.
      CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
      sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
      REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
      REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
      Email - [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by tommurtha View Post
        Sounds like he got lucky !!

Comment

On my old 77, there was a rear through hull water drain. It was the old expand-rubber plug design. There was no center drains until early 80's (I think). At any rate, if you have a center drain you will know it.
          The "other" drain you mention, if it had oil coming out of it I would suspect it is a remote engine oil drain. Not common nor standard during that vintage. It was an accessory someone added to ease the oil draining process, which was messy if you did not use a evacuator device. You will need to look closer and pull the rear center floor panel to verify what it is.

Comment

My 81 has a rear rubber plug and a center drain. Oil drain connected to the oil pan is about 18 inches and will run through the center drain for easy oil change.
            1981 stars and stripes -powerslot
            sand with red metalflake stripe

Comment

Working...
            X