What oil do you use in your MC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil do you use in your MC?

I just purchased a 2014 X10 that is in need of an oil change. My dealer is 2.5+ hours away and on a 4 week back log right now. What oil do you use in your Mastercraft Ilmor engine? The Mastercraft website says to use SAE 15W40 oil, rated at SJ/CH4, but my Ilmor manual states to use Pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic. I have called everywhere in town, but no one carries the 15W-40 SJ/CH4. Where do you purchase your oil and filter?

amazon would be your best bet.. and for the filter...

http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/Interch...MV8V-1021&o=me

here's in interchange for the filter...

there's a napa in columbus GA - you shoul dbe able to get oil and filter in a day or 2.
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

dang 13 minutes.. I am getting slow
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

i run 15-50 mobile one only,, dealer says it is the best

Comment

Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
            amazon would be your best bet.. and for the filter...

http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/Interch...MV8V-1021&o=me

here's in interchange for the filter...

there's a napa in columbus GA - you shoul dbe able to get oil and filter in a day or 2.
            dang 13 minutes.. I am getting slow
            Hey Mike, Were you saying Amazon for the filter and NAPA for the oil? Which oil do you recommend, weight and brand? When I called NAPA today, they said they did not carry the 15w-40SJ oil. I didn't ask specifically about ordering it, but I would have thought he would mention it if it was an option. I can give them a call back in the morning.

13 minutes is great response time in my book. Thanks!

Comment

I use Penzoil 15W40 and a Penzoil P-52 filter. Exactly what Indmar recommends for their engines. I used to only buy the Mastercraft labeled oil filter (which is the P-52 but branded Mastercraft) but my dealer stopped carrying them. I buy it all from Amazon.

I'm not sure why anyone would use any other oil than what is recommended by the manufacture.

Comment

Use what the ilmor manual states. I am a valvoline synthertic guy which Napa carries. the filter is a 1372. Royal purple also has a great 5w30 -

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                  I use Penzoil 15W40 and a Penzoil P-52 filter. Exactly what Indmar recommends for their engines. I used to only buy the Mastercraft labeled oil filter (which is the P-52 but branded Mastercraft) but my dealer stopped carrying them. I buy it all from Amazon.

I'm not sure why anyone would use any other oil than what is recommended by the manufacture.
                  I WANT to use what is recommended by the manufacturer. My issue is the discrepancy between the boat manufacture and the engine manufacturer. The Mastercraft website says to use SAE 15W40 SJ/oil, but my Ilmor manual states to use Pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic.

Thanks for pointing me to Amazon for the oil and filter. I use Amazon often, but I always try to buy local first if it's available. I'm following up with NAPA this am to see if they can order it.

Comment

my 1995 states penzoil 15w40 marine... I run valvoline vr1 20w50 has the right additive pack for my older engine.

Your manual states - Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 full
                    synthetic for 5.7L, 6.0L and 6.2L
                    engines.

That's penzoil's new oil made from natural gas.

http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/u...F-5-en-TDS.pdf

You can even go Mobil 1 5w30 - also SN like the Penzoil.

Comment

^^^ This is correct - I use Mobile 1 - 5W30 full synthetic

Here is where you can get an electronic copy of the Ilmor Manuals
                      http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recre...l/MV8-62L.aspx

Comment

Use what the ilmor manual states. I am a valvoline synthertic guy which Napa carries. the filter is a 1372. Royal purple also has a great 5w30 -
                        Mike - You have an Ilmor now?

I run Rotella T in mine...

Comment

15w50 Mobile 1, but I don't see any issue with running 10w40 if I could find it. First number is the cold number, not really an issue given that boats are normally used when it's warm out. People will go back and forth on what brand is the best, but I have stuck with M1 as I run my toys hard and it has never let me down.

FWIW, the LT4 (basically the same motor as the LT1) in my track car states 5w30 from the factory but I run 15w50 in what's basically a stock motor. Recommended by the manufacture does not always mean ideal for your use, it's normally just a good all around number to go with.

Comment

Mobile 1 15w-50
                            Rollin' Gangsta Style

Originally posted by Thrall
                            "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                            Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft
                            If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                              Mobile 1 15w-50
                              Is this what TexasSkiRat uses also!?!
                              -Cameron
                              2007 ProStar 197
                              1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Working...
                              X