4160 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4160 carb

Just took off the front bowl and expected to have gas spilling out and was totally dry. Had been sitting all winter. Is this normal. Needle and seat spotless float was set to proper setting. Last fall was having problems with front dripping and flooding out at idle. Is there any thing else to check? would adjusting the float to stop the fuel a little sooner help with this condition?
    1981 stars and stripes -powerslot
    sand with red metalflake stripe

That's not normal. Yes, you may need to lower the float if you're flooding at idle.

Don't forget that when you're on the trailer, keep the boat level. If you use the jack and put the nose too high, you may be flooding out in a position that would not normally flood on the lake.

The only thing I can think that might drain your primary float bowl is a ruptured power valve (it would drain into the intake manifold). This would also create a rich condition at idle, so that may have been your problem all along (and not a high float).

Comment

If you were having dripping issues, the needle and seat weren't making good enough contact to close. It doesn't take much for them to seep.
      CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
      sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
      REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
      REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
      Email - [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by catamount View Post
        That's not normal. Yes, you may need to lower the float if you're flooding at idle.

Don't forget that when you're on the trailer, keep the boat level. If you use the jack and put the nose too high, you may be flooding out in a position that would not normally flood on the lake.

The only thing I can think that might drain your primary float bowl is a ruptured power valve (it would drain into the intake manifold). This would also create a rich condition at idle, so that may have been your problem all along (and not a high float).
        Recently I have seen a few power valves that were not ruptured, but seeped a small amount of fuel. I suspect this carb is in need of a rebuild.
        sigpic

Comment

just rebuilt the carb.. Only has about 10 hours run time.

Comment

If it were mine, I would pop in a new needle & seat, as well as a new power valve, and double check the float. But I have those parts on the shelf so it makes it simple.
            sigpic

Comment

If you turn the bowl upside bowl and blow through the inlet... can you? You may have rebuilt the carb but there is always a chance some crud made it's way in there and is keeping it open.

Comment

Just tried to blow through the inlet. Needle closed off 100%. Cant be leaking from there.

Comment

Well the next step is to test your power valve, but that's not really very easy. Do you have Amazon Prime? You can have a new Power Valve in time for the weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-125-65-....5+power+valve

If you suspect your PV was blown, and since you have an older 4160 presumably, I would order this at the same time. It will protect your new PV in the case of a back-fire.

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-125-500.../dp/B00029JAPU

Comment

Power valve is ok. Installed kit when I rebuilt carb.

Comment

That's a bold statement. It could be new-but-defective, or blown with a backfire.

Unless your metering block is warped and allowing gas to seep through, there is not much else that explains a dry bowl in the spring.

Comment

Will check power valve. If I did have a back fire the kit should have prevented the power valve from blowing. Also I have mics and toolmakers square to check for warpage.

Comment

Originally posted by catamount View Post
                          That's a bold statement. It could be new-but-defective, or blown with a backfire.

Unless your metering block is warped and allowing gas to seep through, there is not much else that explains a dry bowl in the spring.
                          Bad gasket or leftover piece of crud from previous gasket.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                            Will check power valve. If I did have a back fire the kit should have prevented the power valve from blowing.
                            Yeah, but do you have the blowout preventer kit? I don't think those were standard issue until 1992 carbs and later.

Whatever it is, I hope you're able to find it. I know it's frustrating to chase a rich idle issue.

Comment

yes, I installed a back fire preventer kit when I rebuilt the carb. It is very frustrating when the boat stalls all the time when trying to pull skiers.

Comment

Working...
                              X