Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LT1 or 351? Power Slot or 1:1?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LT1 or 351? Power Slot or 1:1?

    I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinion. Which one motor or trans and why? Also, if a boat had a 1:1, could you install an OJ 4 blade prop 13x13 to get similar power slot characteristics? Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    What is your goal and use? Short lake, quick pull up, best wake, etc?

    I have LT1 w 1:1 and am happy. Happy to have fuel inj, but I have not had problems. Some will vote for a carb due to simplicity.

    I Have been using stock 13x13 prop with good results.

    Tried 4 blade. Much Improved acceleration and held like a freight train, but made wake firmer (28-32 off, 32-34 mph), so it went back (thanks Eric at OJ).

    I have had a 3 blade CNC in the box for a few weeks now without the chance to try / compare.

    My goal was a softer wake / hump. I could care less about hole shot, almost any inboard with a v8 is good enough on open water in my mind. Out of 6 or so boats I've used, nobody actually buries the throttle to pull a skier up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ben View Post
      What is your goal and use? Short lake, quick pull up, best wake, etc?

      I have LT1 w 1:1 and am happy. Happy to have fuel inj, but I have not had problems. Some will vote for a carb due to simplicity.

      I Have been using stock 13x13 prop with good results.

      Tried 4 blade. Much Improved acceleration and held like a freight train, but made wake firmer (28-32 off, 32-34 mph), so it went back (thanks Eric at OJ).

      I have had a 3 blade CNC in the box for a few weeks now without the chance to try / compare.

      My goal was a softer wake / hump. I could care less about hole shot, almost any inboard with a v8 is good enough on open water in my mind. Out of 6 or so boats I've used, nobody actually buries the throttle to pull a skier up.
      I'm really just wanting an overall good combo for multiple uses. We do a lot of slalom and some bare footing with the occasional wake boarding. Our last boat (85 S&S with 351 and 1:1) would do it all and pull your arms off, if needed. We bare footed with ease and actually pulled 14 skiers at once believe it or not. I mean they actually skied till they got tired and then dropped. It was amazing! We probably still have the pics and a video(if the tape is still good) of it. I wish we'd have kept that boat! I just always hear how the power slot/efi is what I need, etc.....If it's that much better then I'm open to it. I just need to hear it from someone who's owned one or actually skied behind one. I prefer a 351 carbed, but that's me.

      Comment


      • #4
        I regularly ski behind a '98 Nautique that has gear reduction like the powerslot tranny. I own a '97 Prostar 190 with the standard engine and 1:1 gear ratio (and 13x11.5 OJ XMP prop). The Nautique unquestionably has more hole shot than my boat and pulls me up to speed faster, but that really only adds value if you have a short lake. If you have big guys wanting to barefoot behind your boat or if you are at a higher elevation (above 4K or so), then you will certainly appreciate the LT1 engine over the standard engine. EFI theoretically makes it easier for us non-wrenchers who don't want to mess with adjusting a carb, but if you like carbs then there is no particular reason not to get a carbed boat.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've had a '93 LT-1 with 1:1 and a '94 LT-1 with a powerslot.

          If you're pulling multiple skiers/footers go for the powerslot. This setup would also get my vote for holding speed the best in the slalom course.
          If you're looking for top speed, 1:1 is the way to go.

          What year hull are you looking into?
          I was njskier on here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank y'all for the info! Honestly, I couldn't imagine the power slot pulling that much more than the 1:1. The 85 that we had pulled those 14 skiers up with ease and a lot of them were big fellas. Hitting into the throttle would pull you over head first, if you could hang on to the rope. We even had some big slalom skiers try to pull it down, like I've seen them do other boats, but much to their surprise it couldn't be done. I wish that I could see the difference between the two first hand with the same motor/hull setups.

            Comment


            • #7
              Doesn't get much better than the LT1 and powerslot combo.

              You should start imagining. It is awesome

              Comment


              • #8
                I've had them both. First was a 77 with a 351 and 1:1. Second was a 83 351 PS. Loved that boat but spray and rough ride led me to my current 98. It has the LT1 and PS. I will tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the LT1 slot vs. the 351 slot. However there is so much power there that it does not get used. It is fun but not necessary in my situation.
                I have seriously contemplated moving backwards to another S&S just for future simplicity. I have entertained a S&S outboard but after years of preaching inboards I can't get my family to take me seriously.
                My LT1 has not given me troubles. It has been a reliable boat and has 1200 hrs. I can't complain. I run a 14x20 4 blade and get plenty of speed too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by EricB View Post
                  I've had them both. First was a 77 with a 351 and 1:1. Second was a 83 351 PS. Loved that boat but spray and rough ride led me to my current 98. It has the LT1 and PS. I will tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the LT1 slot vs. the 351 slot. However there is so much power there that it does not get used. It is fun but not necessary in my situation.
                  I have seriously contemplated moving backwards to another S&S just for future simplicity. I have entertained a S&S outboard but after years of preaching inboards I can't get my family to take me seriously.
                  My LT1 has not given me troubles. It has been a reliable boat and has 1200 hrs. I can't complain. I run a 14x20 4 blade and get plenty of speed too.
                  Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated! So basically a 351 carbed/power slot combo would be plenty? Would you say a 83-85 S&S or 91-93 PS? Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would suggest a 93 S&S w/285 HP Ford & PS. That way you get the best of all the worlds. I think that might be your target.....

                    Glitz of an S&S, torque of a PS, simplicity of the carbed engine and the best ski wake.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Agree 93 S&S is a target. Hard to find.
                      I'd pick FI or carb preference, then look for one is good shape that has been maintained.
                      80s will look cool for sure but may not ski as well and won't be as big. Cheaper too.
                      Go get one and ski!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There is one listed here under the For Sale, but (in my opinion) it's a tad high in price.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by EricB View Post
                          There is one listed here under the For Sale, but (in my opinion) it's a tad high in price.
                          Thanks fellas for the info. I had about decided on either a 85 S&S PS or a 1993 351 HO/PS. They're hard to find and are usually way over priced, too. I see a lot of people that have to sit on them, because they're way over the nada. I looked at the one that you're talking about and I agree. A little steep on the $$$$.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Have any of you ever skied behind a 80s model with the same hull and different trans? Just for comparison. Which did you prefer?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Powerslot is awesome, but in my opinion if you find a 1:1 in a boat you are looking for. Go for it. The new cnc props will definitely help and Eric at oj will be the one to talk to for your needs. All in saying is don't let it be a deal breaker, I've always had a slot, but am currently very pleased with my 93 1:1 boat! I also, like you, prefer carbs over efi and all the sensors that go with it!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X