Help! I've done it now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I've done it now....

I'm afraid I've hit a patch of rough skies and would greatly appreciate advice. In my '99 205V I spent the weekend cleaning it tooth and nail, as the previous 2 owners clearly had no attention to detail. I cleaned the entire fuel cell and wiring, bilge, and transmission/engine. In cleaning the transmission, and with intent to change ATF fluid, I came across something on the upper right that resembled where an internal filter would be. I took the cover off to reveal a filter indeed, however now I can't get the lid back on. I've tried an overside socket and everything short of beating it with a hammer excessively. I'm afraid I'll break something if I keep hammering it, so I wanted to ask for your help.

The top of the cover has direction labels for tightening and loosening, however appears to be a one piece unit. Its turn via an allen wrench at the top. Despite turning it, it appears there was no loosening value as I ended up prying the cover off with a screwdriver.

How do I get this thing back on?! I've read the manual which offers no help. Desperate here folks, desperate!

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

So the lid is off?

If so I would loosen the bolt, if I remember correctly it comes out all the way. Once the bolt is out just replace everything and tighten.

I thought it didn't make any sense either, but as you tighten the bolt it does seal as it supposed to...
    Attached Files

Comment

Frankster, I can't thank you enough!

The lid is indeed off. While it was still on, the tab that says ATF was full to the left. While turning it, it slide to full right, which is when I noticed no change and pried it off from there and made the conclusion it was all one piece. This is great information, and tomorrow I'll do my best to separate the pieces.

I sincerely appreciate your help. This forum and it's people truly are amazing.

Comment

How about a bit of spray paint on that cover.. just sayin' -- good job
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Your problem is very likely that the rubber O-rings that make the seal are swollen from the tranny fluid. Replace the filter, which comes with new o-rings. Actually, you should replace that filter every season. I know others will argue. However, it's relatively cheap insurance. You will also be paying a very small percentage of my paycheck! 😎. I change mine every season, but my filters only cost $34. I think the dealer is at about $100. Your choice, but swollen O-rings are your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mike: That cover was factory painted beautifully prior to my beating on it! I have the filter and O-rings on order from skidim as well as a can of spray paint!

I'll gladly contribute a portion of your paycheck as cheap insurance! Based on the beautiful paint it had prior my me discovering it, I'm guessing it was never changed previously. I'll get it back to white glove inspection ready. I blame the military for doing this to me

Comment

Originally posted by NWSurfer1974 View Post
              Mike: That cover was factory painted beautifully prior to my beating on it! I have the filter and O-rings on order from skidim as well as a can of spray paint!

I'll gladly contribute a portion of your paycheck as cheap insurance! Based on the beautiful paint it had prior my me discovering it, I'm guessing it was never changed previously. I'll get it back to white glove inspection ready. I blame the military for doing this to me
              I only contribute for treatments to MCOCD -- I wish I could access my filter - would have to pull my trans to get to it.. or make a special tool..
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

I completely relate and appreciate a little MCOCD. Rest assured, it's repainted and ready to go back on, following delivery of the new filter and o-ring on Wednesday. I'll post a pic to wrap this topic up so we can move on to the next catastrophe!

The only manuals I could find online for this topic were on bakes, and they only had 3 manuals for the wrong type that I had. I did see one model where the filter cover is accessed by 2 bolts on the bottom. I'm guessing this is the model you have?

Frankster, do you by chance have a link of that manual for the model I have? Many searches and I've come up empty handed. :/

Comment

Library has them all... I believe

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/r0N1CR5VtR

Comment

That's HUGE. Thanks Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X