Is you dipstick inaccurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is you dipstick inaccurate?

Hey guys I know this has been talked about in the past but I have to rekindle this topic. I have a 1991 351W engine and when I changed the oil last time I waited several hours before refilling. Yes I have the oil hose on the oil pan to help with this effort. I bought a standard Fram oil filter and filled with 5 quarts and noticed the engine read above the safe line after a quick start up. Have you guys with the same vintage engine experienced this condition? Are the dipsticks for this vintage engine and model known to have the wrong dipstick? Also my dipstick has a black coated tip and not sure what that is but it will not come off. Looks like a crinkle finish factory coating of some kind. Its only extends about 1/2" from the tip.
    Last edited by jberenyi; 09-03-2015, 09:50 PM.

I heard a rumor that some of the 351s of that era showed up with the wrong dipstick. I did some hunting to confirm the correct part number with a MC dealer on the dip stick at one point or another. For my 93 351HO, the part number was D5UE 6750 AF Ford M.
    Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jberenyi View Post
      Hey guys I know this has been talked about in the past but I have to rekindle this topic. I have a 1991 351W engine and when I changed the oil last time I waited several hours before refilling. Yes I have the oil hose on the oil pan to help with this effort. I bought a standard Fram oil filter and filled with 5 quarts and noticed the engine read above the safe line after a quick start up. Have you guys with the same vintage engine experienced this condition? Are the dipsticks for this vintage engine and model known to have the wrong dipstick? Also my dipstick has a black coated tip and not sure what that is but it will not come off. Looks like a crinkle finish factory coating of some kind. Its only extends about 1/2" from the tip.
      I keep reading this issue, if I remember I'll measure mine. Oh and don't use fram, they have a tendency to collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
        I keep reading this issue, if I remember I'll measure mine. Oh and don't use fram, they have a tendency to collapse.
        Wow. That's news to me. I have used Fram for years with no issues in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by jberenyi View Post
          ......... filled with 5 quarts .
          Over fill of oil. Measuring stick withstanding....They do not require 5 quarts.
          93 190
          (safe click)
          John 14:6
          (safe click)

Comment

Well I checked the part number of my dipstick and it is the correct number that being D5UE 6750 AF Ford M. In the end she was 1 quart too much. Maybe she'll go faster now LOL

Comment

Last edited by Spork; 11-02-2015, 09:43 PM.
              /spĂ´rk/
              a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                ^^^^ what cloaked said...capacity per manual 4 qts. plus maybe a little for filter. Also needs to be measured level as it sits in the water.
                Correct. All the more reason for changing oil at 50 hours. Oops........did I start another discussion?
                CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                Email - [email protected]

Comment

Not sure I agree with the 4 qts. On my '93 351W HO I initially measured what came out and put the same amount back in. It was to the line on the dipstick and it was just shy of 4 qts. Next time out I was getting a slight lifter ticking noise. Put another quart in and no more noise. After that, every change was with 5 qts of Mobil 1 15W-50. Had over 1000 hours and still going strong. I just scratched a new mark in the dipstick and used that to check.

Never heard of an old school V8 motor that took less than 5 qts...

Comment

X2 exactly what i did mine will tick also with less oil ,my dipstick reads wrong also scratched a new line 19 88 351 same dipstick part number

Originally posted by BrianS View Post
                    Not sure I agree with the 4 qts. On my '93 351W HO I initially measured what came out and put the same amount back in. It was to the line on the dipstick and it was just shy of 4 qts. Next time out I was getting a slight lifter ticking noise. Put another quart in and no more noise. After that, every change was with 5 qts of Mobil 1 15W-50. Had over 1000 hours and still going strong. I just scratched a new mark in the dipstick and used that to check.

Never heard of an old school V8 motor that took less than 5 qts...
                    sigpic

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).

Comment

Kind of crazy being able to get 5 quarts in for me. I have always measured what comes out and put back same and always right around 4 quarts for me. That includes measuring what came out of the filter.

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM.
                        93 190
                        (safe click)
                        (safe click)

Comment

Just changed the oil in my 93 351 ho for the first time. 4 qts barely made it touch the dipstick. Right in the area of "add". Put the fifth quart in to put it in the " safe " area.

Comment

Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
                            Correct. All the more reason for changing oil at 50 hours. Oops........did I start another discussion?
                            well Peter - if you use synth - I bet you could squeeze a good 10-15 extra hours out of oil... liquid engineering and all - better base oils.. better additives..
                            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM.
                              93 190
                              (safe click)
                              (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                              X