Thermostat housing 1999 LT-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat housing 1999 LT-1

I found a crack in the lower thermostat housing in my 1999 Maristar with the LT-1 motor. The part is stamped with "Indmar" and "53-1014". Apparently Indmar no longer makes or sells this piece. Does anyone know where I can find one? It looks like Indmar modified the normal GM T-stat housing by drilling and tapping a new port for this engine only. I found aftermarket parts without the port that I may be able to modify myself, but I would rather get the right part (I'm not sure it would work, anyway).

Big crack? - very low pressure.... may welding could work... have a pic of the part?
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Yeah, big crack. One of the bolt holes broke off and left a big hole in the unit. It may be possible to weld but will need machining after. It is cast iron and my experience hasn't been great welding cast iron. Since I posted this I found an aftermarket GM generic housing that I may be able to drill and tap and make work. On the LT1 apparently the coolong is quite different than the normal GM motors. It looks like Indmar did some backwoods engineering to make it work by modifing the T-stat housing. I was hoping someone made these somewhere so I wouldnt have to do that, but so far no luck. I'm going to give it a try.

I attached a few pics. You can see the crack in one of the pics, but it is worse than it looks in the pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

yes - check these to machine as well.. the lt1 needed reverse cooling cuz of aluminum heads...

I had made a group buy for the hoses that had two different diameters at each end... just plug a couple of the ends and add the fitting.

http://www.barrmarine.net/thermostat...ssemblies.html
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

looks like this but modified...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Housing-Ther...1VjAVY&vxp=mtr

Comment

I am looking at this image and see the solution..
            Attached Files

Comment

My thermostat housing has 53-5022 on the front (LT1 as well). Mine is like this one:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/252354464507...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have a spare, but it is pretty rusted (scaly and flaking) on the inside.
              '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Originally posted by lyttlems View Post
                I found an aftermarket GM generic housing that I may be able to drill and tap and make work
                Are you sure the aftermarket housing doesn't have the bypass hole already in it? All the gaskets I see have the hole there. If they didn't have the bypass hole, no water would go to the exhaust manifolds until the thermostat opened up, and that would not be a good thing.

Nevermind, it is the return that is missing from the aftermarket unit. I think you would be able to drill and tap that without much problem.
                Last edited by Table Rocker; 05-08-2016, 09:57 PM. Reason: Last sentence
                '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Ok, here's what I did. I bought an aftermarket housing from www.skidim.com, item number BARCHV-29-80. It came complete with a thermostat, but the thermostat looks pretry cheap compared to the one I got from the dealer, so I'm throwing it out and using the dealer t-stat.. Good service from www.skidim.com, ordered on a Sunday and had the part on Wednesday, standard shipping. I drilled and tapped a 3/4" NPT thread to match the old one. There is a cheap plastic fitting made by GANN that I see a picture of on their website so it is probably still available, but I plan on reusing the old one so I didn't call them.

The new housing comes with threaded ports that you need to add fittings to or reuse the old cap. I'm reusing the old cap. The hole pattern is very slightly different so I had to drill two of the three holes out to 3/8", which is about 0.040" over.

Haven't put it on the boat yet, buy it should work fine. Here are some pictures.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                    yes - check these to machine as well.. the lt1 needed reverse cooling cuz of aluminum heads...

I had made a group buy for the hoses that had two different diameters at each end... just plug a couple of the ends and add the fitting.

http://www.barrmarine.net/thermostat...ssemblies.html
                    Do you have the hoses with two diameters? I have two of these engines and I'd be interested in buying a couple from you if you have some.

Comment

Looks like you nailed it, good work.
                      '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Working...
                      X