Chrysler 360 in a 94 205???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your goal for boat?
    If you want it mopar powered because you are a mopar guy and think it would be cool and don't mine losing a bit on resale (whenever that is), go for it. Same if you enjoy a project and have time to fool with it.
    If you are resale focused I'd stick w stock or similar.
    If you are ski focused I think most motor options would perform similar enough. They will all get to and hold 32-36 mph about the same.
    Bare footing is probably the only sport you may want to pack in a few more ponies.
    That is a good ski hull and decent for wakeboarding beginner to casual level.

Comment

Does boat currently run? I am looking for someone to try this as a guinea pig for me.http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

Of course blocks are cheap and this is an easy motor to do a poor man's rebuild on.
      1986 Marlin Magnum Skiier-sold
      1999 Maristar 210VRS-weekend ride
      1996 205 with LT1 cracked block-stitched back together

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
        Nope, easier to swap to EFI and be done with it. Boat sits too much and the carb gets gummed up.
        Only a few thousand dollars! Biggest issue is getting that O2 sensor mounted so it will function correctly.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...view/make/ford

Comment

Originally posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
          Only a few thousand dollars! Biggest issue is getting that O2 sensor mounted so it will function correctly.

I wanna do a full ilmor 5.7 swap
          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
          For Sale:
          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

I wanna do a full ilmor 5.7 swap
            That's a lot of money to dump into an 85 pro star 190.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
              There is no way a fine tuned carb best modern EFI any day of the last 3 decades.

It might be a step forward in your carbed 85 but would certainty be a step back from any current EFI boat.
              And 25 year old carb tech is better then a 24 year old TBI?

Don't forget that the EFI that was going into boats in 93/94 had be in use on cars and trucks since 87 so it had a lot of time to mature.
              Nope, easier to swap to EFI and be done with it. Boat sits too much and the carb gets gummed up.
              I hate the carb in my 85.. I have been scheming up an ilmor swap in it for some time lol
              I disagree with you both, because a TBI system is nowhere better than a carb. Now a direct injection motor is right there with a carb (limited by electronics for tuning though). If you go to any sport where performance is key, 9 out of 10 builders are using carbs. I have a lot of experience in motor building and it doesn't matter if it's a motorcycle, boat, or anything. A fine tuned carb is better and has way more potential. A tuned carb will fire off on the first bump of the key, stun you with the response, run out amazingly, and is a tuners best friend. I find that people who down a carbed motor usually have little to no experience with them. Efi is the result of the fake emission crap that politicians made up for more $$$. Just my two cents....

Comment

Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
                I say go for it, money wise, you'll be close to the same. Likely a boat of that age will need new risers and manifolds anyways, considering the engine is toast.

I also prefer a carb. I purposely bought a 1993, last year they were offered. Much better than relying on a 24yr old TBI!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
                I'm leaning hard on doing it. I agree that a carb is where it's at!

Comment

Originally posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post

Summit racing actually has some kits that I think are Edelbrock brand that are closer to $1,000, etc.
                  Last edited by SpeedRacer0125; 07-20-2017, 09:51 AM. Reason: Wrong user quote

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                    Only way I'd put that Chrysler in there if it spit out multiple $100 bills everything I turned the ignition switch....

Best luck with the decision. I know I am no help...

It's really for the cool factor and uniqueness. Most motors are tit for tat with differences in the way the power is delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRacer0125 View Post
                      I disagree with you both, because a TBI system is nowhere better than a carb. Now a direct injection motor is right there with a carb (limited by electronics for tuning though). If you go to any sport where performance is key, 9 out of 10 builders are using carbs. I have a lot of experience in motor building and it doesn't matter if it's a motorcycle, boat, or anything. A fine tuned carb is better and has way more potential. A tuned carb will fire off on the first bump of the key, stun you with the response, run out amazingly, and is a tuners best friend. I find that people who down a carbed motor usually have little to no experience with them. Efi is the result of the fake emission crap that politicians made up for more $$$. Just my two cents....
                      If they are doing that it's because they don't know anything about EFI. I would have to assume they don't know how to collect data and write tunes. The only reason to use a carb is because it's easier to slap one on, change some jets(if you know what you are doing), adjust the idle air mixture and idle.

EFI alone having the ability to self adjust based of air/fuel is a leap forward in technology. A carb can't do anything when the humidity and air density change from morning to night and in the South, in the summer, that's a huge difference.
                      -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
                        I say go for it, money wise, you'll be close to the same. Likely a boat of that age will need new risers and manifolds anyways, considering the engine is toast.

I also prefer a carb. I purposely bought a 1993, last year they were offered. Much better than relying on a 24yr old TBI!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
                        I'm leaning hard on doing it. I agree that a carb is where it's at!
                        Carbs can be a little painful, but on an older boat especially compared to throttle body injection I prefer a carb. A carb deals with two variables: fuel and air. A brand new Holley 4160 is around $600 and available everywhere, along with rebuild kits and rebuilt carbs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Table Rocker View Post
                          It looks like the last marinized Chryslers were from around 1990 and they were uncommon at that time. Finding things like bellhousings, and marine distributors will depend on how much your 360 has in common with the Chryslers of the 80's.

http://www.allpar.com/history/marine.html

I guess since the engine you found was 360 marine, it is most likely from that era.
                          Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                          Find a real carb guy
                          Straight truth in your words!

Comment

I can get a superior cut with a well sharpened push reel mower, but I like the one that starts with a key turn and does the job with less effort and fanfare.
                            Maybe when I'm retired and nothing to do I'll get back to carb tuning. In the meantime I'll enjoy turnkey operation.
                            '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Straight truth in your words!
                              Find a real carb guy? I know more then my fair share of multi carb engine tuning for street, strip and boats.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...postcount=1542

If you had Aric's farther's 85 then I could see putting a new carb on that. It would be easy and probably run better. But to take a current EFI motored boat and put a carb engine in because you want to save a few bucks I would say save some pennies and get a new long block for it.

Now if you just want a project to stick the 360 in then have at it. But when you ask what is better, carb or EFI, then expect to hear the truth from me.
                              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

If they are doing that it's because they don't know anything about EFI. I would have to assume they don't know how to collect data and write tunes. The only reason to use a carb is because it's easier to slap one on, change some jets(if you know what you are doing), adjust the idle air mixture and idle.

EFI alone having the ability to self adjust based of air/fuel is a leap forward in technology. A carb can't do anything when the humidity and air density change from morning to night and in the South, in the summer, that's a huge difference.
                                You're funny and no offense, but you have no idea about engine building. If efi is soooo good then why do most performance guys choose carbs? There are more possibilities with carbs than you obviously understand. We'll agree to disagree and just so you know I turn my own wrenches, get paid to work on everything from atvs to watercraft to 18 wheelers, etc...., and I have a electronics tech/computer programming degree. I know a little you might say. The only reason that I started this thread was to see if someone had already seen this and knew what I'd run into. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X