Chrysler 360 in a 94 205???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2jp View Post
    Carbs can be a little painful, but on an older boat especially compared to throttle body injection I prefer a carb. A carb deals with two variables: fuel and air. A brand new Holley 4160 is around $600 and available everywhere, along with rebuild kits and rebuilt carbs too.
    Truth

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRacer0125 View Post
      You're funny and no offense, but you have no idea about engine building. If efi is soooo good then why do most performance guys choose carbs? There are more possibilities with carbs than you obviously understand. We'll agree to disagree and just so you know I turn my own wrenches, get paid to work on everything from atvs to watercraft to 18 wheelers, etc...., and I have a electronics tech/computer programming degree. I know a little you might say. The only reason that I started this thread was to see if someone had already seen this and knew what I'd run into. Thanks
      I'll let you read the post I just made and you can check out the thread linked in that post. I built every engine in that thread.

Likewise, the 383 that I wrote the tune for and built a custom throttle body for in burb says otherwise.
      -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
        What is your goal for boat?
        If you want it mopar powered because you are a mopar guy and think it would be cool and don't mine losing a bit on resale (whenever that is), go for it. Same if you enjoy a project and have time to fool with it.
        If you are resale focused I'd stick w stock or similar.
        If you are ski focused I think most motor options would perform similar enough. They will all get to and hold 32-36 mph about the same.
        Bare footing is probably the only sport you may want to pack in a few more ponies.
        That is a good ski hull and decent for wakeboarding beginner to casual level.
        It's really for the cool factor and that I have the time and know how to do it. I was just wondering with MC what I'd run into.

Originally posted by Cumminscj View Post
        Does boat currently run? I am looking for someone to try this as a guinea pig for me.http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

Of course blocks are cheap and this is an easy motor to do a poor man's rebuild on.
        I might have a block soon that you can pick up, lol.

Originally posted by Thrall View Post
        I can get a superior cut with a well sharpened push reel mower, but I like the one that starts with a key turn and does the job with less effort and fanfare.
        Maybe when I'm retired and nothing to do I'll get back to carb tuning. In the meantime I'll enjoy turnkey operation.
        Hey those old mowers would cut clean and look at how tough it made our grandparents. Haha

Comment

https://youtu.be/2sQJPZYSoUI
          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
          For Sale:
          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

GM 383 with a custom built bored 670 CFM TB with 454 injectors and custom tune written by me. It makes 444 FT-LB of torque and 380 HP @ 4000 RPM so I'm sure I know how to build motors, collect data and write tunes.
            Attached Files
            -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by d2jp View Post
              Carbs can be a little painful, but on an older boat especially compared to throttle body injection I prefer a carb. A carb deals with two variables: fuel and air. A brand new Holley 4160 is around $600 and available everywhere, along with rebuild kits and rebuilt carbs too.
              You're spot on and there's a lot more that can go wrong on an efi setup.

Comment

Have you seen the boat in person, if so how's it look? I saw it show up on craigslist the other day and it looks like a great deal.
                I thought about buying it and fixing it for resale.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                  GM 383 with a custom built bored 670 CFM TB with 454 injectors and custom tune written by me. It makes 444 FT-LB of torque and 380 HP @ 4000 RPM so I'm sure I know how to build motors, collect data and write tunes.
                  I'm not denying your knowledge, but there's a reason the industry moved away from TBI to direct injection. I have a extensive collection of performance motors that I've built, tuned, worked on, etc....I've learned through much hands on that carbs have a lot more potential. With the right carb you'd be pushing way more ponies/torque out of that 383. Seriously, who wants to bring a scan tool or laptop to the lake with them? That's a nice setup you have though.

Comment

Originally posted by Atver300 View Post
                    Have you seen the boat in person, if so how's it look? I saw it show up on craigslist the other day and it looks like a great deal.
                    I thought about buying it and fixing it for resale.
                    I'm actually going today to look at it. The interior is decent besides the carpet and driver's seat. I'll let you know, if I don't buy it.

Comment

I'm not denying your knowledge, but there's a reason the industry moved away from TBI to direct injection. I have a extensive collection of performance motors that I've built, tuned, worked on, etc....I've learned through much hands on that carbs have a lot more potential. With the right carb you'd be pushing way more ponies/torque out of that 383. Seriously, who wants to bring a scan tool or laptop to the lake with them? That's a nice setup you have though.

You already tried to denied my knowledge when you said I have no idea how to build an engine. Then you found out otherwise.

Computers and software are essential when dealing with EFI, after all there is a computer running the system. If you want to step into modern times and work with new tech then you have to get the systems that allow you to do so. Once you do and understand how to tune EFIs they are simply the best system out there.

Using the seat dyno to say you could make more HP with a carb on my 383 is just plain BS. You don't have any of the specs on this engine. The cam alone says you can't.

-Tim

Comment

OK, so performance aside.

Let's talk about what you really want to do here and why.

I believe the cool factor in putting a Chrysler in an older MC, like Aric's Father's 85 would be a sweet build. But it seems like you're trying to save money. Do you already have the 360? If that is the case, then you probably need to get the price of long block GM and compare that with the price of the parts needed to get the 360 into the boat.
                        -Tim

Comment

OK, so performance aside.

Let's talk about what you really want to do here and why.

I believe the cool factor in putting a Chrysler in an older MC, like Aric's Father's 85 would be a sweet build. But it seems like you're trying to save money. Do you already have the 360? If that is the case, then you probably need to get the price of long block GM and compare that with the price of the parts needed to get the 360 into the boat.
                          the 85 is mine lol
                          Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                          For Sale:

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                            the 85 is mine lol
                            Ask your dad for a new carb for Christmas?
                            -Tim

Comment

Ask your dad for a new carb for Christmas?
                              Ive been told that it is "normal" and that im just not used to a carb. aka the starting after a few pumps of the throttle and a surge of what feels like nitrous when the secondaries open lol. it used to not idle for crap, but now it does after literally no adjustment. maybe bad gas.
                              Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                              For Sale:

Comment

I feel like Can't Repeat can't take all all the heat in this thread because your comments here are just not accurate. Carbs can deliver fuel very precisely but they cannot adjust for atmospheric pressure or changes in fuel and air temperature. The main advantage of a carb over EFI is it's simplicity. I'd bet these tuners of which you speak don't understand or don't want to mess with the complexity of EFI, don't care about fuel economy and don't mind messing with the carb tune regularly to keep it perfect (or are calling it close enough). The best you could hope to get from a carb tune is to match the performance of a properly configured EFI system. Once one of the variable changes the EFI will auto adjust and the carb performance will continue to run the same with the now sub optimal parameters.

You want Mopar in your boat and a carb, I get it and say go for it. Sounds like you have strong opinions and you'll be very happy and proud of it when you get it done. Good luck sir!

I disagree with you both, because a TBI system is nowhere better than a carb. Now a direct injection motor is right there with a carb (limited by electronics for tuning though). If you go to any sport where performance is key, 9 out of 10 builders are using carbs. I have a lot of experience in motor building and it doesn't matter if it's a motorcycle, boat, or anything. A fine tuned carb is better and has way more potential. A tuned carb will fire off on the first bump of the key, stun you with the response, run out amazingly, and is a tuners best friend. I find that people who down a carbed motor usually have little to no experience with them. Efi is the result of the fake emission crap that politicians made up for more $$$. Just my two cents....

Comment

Working...
                                X