Raw Water Pump help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Water Pump help

In mid July, I purchased a 1995 Maristar 225 vrs with the 5.7 tbi. Boat had 280 hrs to which we've already added 30 more. The boat has run flawless up until today.

This morning during our early morning ski session, we began hearing what sounded like a squealing belt accompanied by a burning rubber smell. Upon opening the engine hatch, a bit of smoke came out. At first I thought it was just a belt and there's definitely some burnt rubber "spray" on some of the hoses. However, while watching the belt, there was quite a bit of wobble at the raw water pump. The belt looks to be in fairly decent shape. The squealing and smell only occurred around the 1800-2000rpm range and then stopped once on plane.

I'm thinking my raw water pump might be going out. Does this sound accurate and is there an easy way to diagnose this?

Thanks!

Sounds like pure belt issue the raw water pump is crank driven.

Comment

Originally posted by Jroddorminey View Post
      In mid July, I purchased a 1995 Maristar 225 vrs with the 5.7 tbi. Boat had 280 hrs to which we've already added 30 more. The boat has run flawless up until today.

This morning during our early morning ski session, we began hearing what sounded like a squealing belt accompanied by a burning rubber smell. Upon opening the engine hatch, a bit of smoke came out. At first I thought it was just a belt and there's definitely some burnt rubber "spray" on some of the hoses. However, while watching the belt, there was quite a bit of wobble at the raw water pump. The belt looks to be in fairly decent shape. The squealing and smell only occurred around the 1800-2000rpm range and then stopped once on plane.

I'm thinking my raw water pump might be going out. Does this sound accurate and is there an easy way to diagnose this?

Thanks!
      Aftermath.

These came out of a 93 Indmar engine...same RWP as yours....

You may be onto something.

You can rebuild or buy a new assembly. I bought new - plug and play. There are several threads here about this very thing.

Attached Files
      93 190
      (safe click)
      John 14:6
      (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
        Aftermath.

These came out of a 93 Indmar engine...same RWP as yours....

You may be onto something.

You can rebuild or buy a new assembly. I bought new - plug and play. There are several threads here about this very thing.

You beat me to it water - 1 of 2 great pics of component failure.
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

JRod, I have the same exact symptoms on my 1994 PS205. Started happening out of the blue last weekend.
          I replaced the belt as a first step in process of elimination. The sound remained at a certain RPM just like you. I have now replaced the Raw Water Pump (RWP) but have not been on the water yet to see if that has resolved it.
          I assume the pix in the thread above are raw water pump part breakdown....?
          I will try to get out one evening this week to see if that resolves the issue. I got mine for $189 and its a simple swap out. I'll let you know!
          2008 X14
          1964 Boston Whaler Nauset
          1994 PS205, sold

Comment

Working...
          X