Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LTR 330HP - New serpentine belt is really tight

I replaced the alternator and serpentine belt on my 2000 X-Star LTR

The alternator casing/posts are the same size, but the serpentine belt was pretty hard to get on. I ordered the OEM replacement belt from Bakes:

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-7...craft-efi.html

Is a new belt supposed to go on really tight? I imagine it would loosen up a little bit after running for a few hours and getting warm.

Also, is there a way (or a need) to adjust the belt tensioner? I had to force it all the way down with a socket wrench and even then, I needed a second hand to pull the new belt into place.

My overall concern is either the belt being too tight and snapping right away or the high tension causing stress/bending on the alternator pulley.

FWIW I started the engine in the driveway for a couple minutes and everything LOOKS just fine (alternator putting out 14.4v at idle )

It'll take some effort to turn the belt tensioner far enough to slide the belt on. I just did mine, it was a bit of a pain. My belt did slide on fairly easily though. As far as loosening, a belt shouldn't stretch much, if at all. All of the tension adjustment comes from the tensioner.
    I know you've got it back together, but if you can pull the belt and compare it to the old belt, that will tell you if it's the right length. At a minimum, compare the belt numbers on the old and new. I've bought belts before that had one belt number on the package, but a completely different number on the belt itself. Someone must have bought two belts, returned one in the wrong package. Maybe that happened to you?

G

Comment

Reverify routing as well. I've seen applications where one idler would sort of work two ways

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
        Reverify routing as well. I've seen applications where one idler would sort of work two ways
        I dont quite follow this. Can you elaborate?

I turned the engine on and ran it for 5 min. Looked just fine.

My only concern is if its possible that the tensioner applies "too much" tension and stresses the alternator shaft or the belt itself.

Comment

Originally posted by gweaver View Post
          It'll take some effort to turn the belt tensioner far enough to slide the belt on. I just did mine, it was a bit of a pain. My belt did slide on fairly easily though. As far as loosening, a belt shouldn't stretch much, if at all. All of the tension adjustment comes from the tensioner.
          I know you've got it back together, but if you can pull the belt and compare it to the old belt, that will tell you if it's the right length. At a minimum, compare the belt numbers on the old and new. I've bought belts before that had one belt number on the package, but a completely different number on the belt itself. Someone must have bought two belts, returned one in the wrong package. Maybe that happened to you?

G
          Im going to confirm with Bakes that the replacement belt is in fact the right OEM replacement.

Comment

On the belt tensioner, there should be some reference marks thinking 3 and a triangular pointer, indicating if the belt is to tight, just right, or at its wear max point. A tight belt is not a good thing, no room for the tensioner to absorb sudden engine loads, wear stress on brackets, belts, bearings...all else fails, measure the belt and find two or 3 slightly longer. Use the belt that fall into the just right spot on the tensioner indicator, its there if you look.

Comment

All I was saying, occasionally you can go the wrong way around a pulley and still be about the same fit/very close.

Comment

Jamis0n, How did your resolution turn out? I ask because this last weekend, the bracket bolt holding the alternator sheared and I am replacing the belt along with the bolts securing the bracket and alternator. As I put on the new belt, mine was also too tight. I am 99% sure the routing is correct, per 88 PS190's comment.

Comment

Working...
                X