Starter Solenoid - Cracked plastic near terminals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Solenoid - Cracked plastic near terminals

As part of upgrading the wire between my alternator and starter, I tightened the starter positive lead jussssssttt a little too tight and heard a crack.

I backed the nut off just a bit and confirmed that the plastic casing between the leads and the solenoid body had cracked.

The terminal posts still feel solid, but I'm wondering if I need to replace it? It was less than 90 degrees around of the plastic that cracked, and it was right on top near the post.

I found the 2 cracked pieces, set them back in place, and secured them with a couple strips of electrical tape so the inside is not exposed.

See the arrow in the image below for the plastic crack.

You think this is OK? Or should I order another solenoid?

Because of the moisture laden environment, I suggest you replace. Moisture will seep past electrical tape pronto. At the very least, seal the pieces in place with sealant (silicone, etc..) until you get the replacement solenoid.

Corrosion will eventually occur and it will create issues down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by jamis0n View Post
      As part of upgrading the wire between my alternator and starter, I tightened the starter positive lead jussssssttt a little too tight and heard a crack.

I backed the nut off just a bit and confirmed that the plastic casing between the leads and the solenoid body had cracked.

The terminal posts still feel solid, but I'm wondering if I need to replace it? It was less than 90 degrees around of the plastic that cracked, and it was right on top near the post.

I found the 2 cracked pieces, set them back in place, and secured them with a couple strips of electrical tape so the inside is not exposed.

See the arrow in the image below for the plastic crack.

You think this is OK? Or should I order another solenoid?

Put a little super glue on / in the crack(s). Done deal. Wear some nitril gloves and thank me later for not having glue all over your fingers for several more days.

93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

Typically on stuff like this I'd say replace just because you can't get out and walk if it fails later and Murphy's Law states that it will fail when you least can afford it (think vacation where there are no parts stores, that big outing where your boat is the entertainment, etc.).

If you do decide to repair it I'd be looking at using something like JB Weld that will fill any missing chips and provide more of an insulating effect to the repair but honestly for the price I'd just replace it and chalk the cost and time to replace up to experience.

Comment

Working...
        X