Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any thoughts of running without a thermostat?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • any thoughts of running without a thermostat?

    So my 1992 Prostar 205 (351W PCM) seems to be running hot. General running temp is 180 and when increasing speed pulling someone it goes to 200. This last time out I pulled some kids on a tube and after about 5 minutes my temp gauge maxed to 220! Yikes! I had a little smoke come out the exhaust so I killed the engine (honestly with the smell I thought I burned up a belt) but didn't. I sat for 15 minutes, checked for leaves blocking my water intake, fired it up and temp slowly came down to 180 again and I took it easy going back to dock (seemed to run fine). I'm changing my impeller this weekend even though on inspection it looks pretty good, changing belts also. I was going to change thermostat to a 142 degree but I've read that some owners in warmer climates run without a thermostat? I'm in Hawaii (don't hate me..haha) so year round water temps are pretty consistent (75-85 degrees). I may try it and see what temp she runs at?? Any thoughts?? THX!
    Last edited by DKaua'i; 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM. Reason: add text

  • #2
    pic of impeller and looks like PO damaged the water intake. Could this decrease waterflow?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DKaua'i; 02-13-2020, 05:17 PM. Reason: add text

    Comment


    • #3
      more likely just a worn out impeller.

      i wouldn't run without a thermostat. it would take forever to warm up with the raw water,

      Comment


      • #4
        that impeller has taken quite a set. was it springy at all?

        id swap the impeller and see how you do. definitely dont pull the thermostat.

        Comment


        • #5
          If it's overheating taking the thermostat out isn't the right fix. Check to see if the transmission cooler is clogged with debris, that's an easy fix. Is the temperature sender OK? Is waterflow through the engine OK?

          A new impeller is always a good idea, but may not fix the problem.

          Your intake grate is bent, but not enough to impede flow. To satisfy MCOCD, those fins can be gently "persuaded" back in to position, but will have no effect on cooling.

          Comment


          • #6
            +1 on new impeller and checking the trans cooler intake side screen. Follow the intake water line from the bottom of hull. It’s the tube thing w oil lines to the trans.
            Pull the hose off the back side and look inside.

            You could check to make sure the thermostats are opening by putting in a pot of water on the stove.

            Also chance prev owner trashed and implement and there are rubber bits blocking water flow in the block. That would be harder to fix....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
              that impeller has taken quite a set. was it springy at all?

              id swap the impeller and see how you do. definitely dont pull the thermostat.
              If by springy you mean soft? yes it was.. my replacement should be here tomorrow going to install first thing!

              Comment


              • #8
                I'll check the trans cooling filter also, thx for that tip I didn't think of that.. I've only had this boat 2 months so learning what the PO lacked on upkeep. Going to do a total tune up also, change engine oil, trans fluid..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Miss Rita View Post
                  If it's overheating taking the thermostat out isn't the right fix. Check to see if the transmission cooler is clogged with debris, that's an easy fix. Is the temperature sender OK? Is waterflow through the engine OK?

                  A new impeller is always a good idea, but may not fix the problem.

                  Your intake grate is bent, but not enough to impede flow. To satisfy MCOCD, those fins can be gently "persuaded" back in to position, but will have no effect on cooling.
                  Thanks for the input. Yes water flow through the engine out exhaust. Perhaps if the trans cooler has debris it's not flowing as well as it should? I'll post updates after this weekend. Thanks again as I will "gently persuade" my bent intake grate back to shape!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DKaua'i View Post
                    I'll check the trans cooling filter also, thx for that tip I didn't think of that.. I've only had this boat 2 months so learning what the PO lacked on upkeep. Going to do a total tune up also, change engine oil, trans fluid..
                    Doesn't matter what is wrong with it. That impeller is done in. Time for a new one regardless. If no trash in the cooler, that is likely the culprit.

                    .
                    93 190
                    (safe click)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      retain a thermostat, diagnose and repair the root cause. Impeller, blockage, thermo itself.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        By “springy” he means the vanes should spring back out to a more straight out stance. Yours look like they are permanently in the bent position. Therefore they may not be creating enough suction at higher RPM’s.
                        As already mentioned, also clean out the screen in the tranny cooler and the sea strainer, if you have one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That impeller is toast

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            thanks everyone!! Going to go through the checklist top to bottom this weekend..
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              good luck with the bucket
                              Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-19-2020, 04:49 PM.
                              93 190
                              (safe click)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X