2018 xstar red fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 xstar red fluid.

I'm going to tell you what i know and only what I've had time to look at. I bought a 2018 xstar (300hrs gdi 6000) from an out of state dealer who did all service on it as well as inspected it. they did do a trans service recently.I have put 3 hours on the boat since I've owned it. initially i noticed a slight shutter when i went into reverse(not tab raising from auto launch), i checked the lower strut bearing and there is what i would call to much play. Called my dealer and scheduled an appointment which was 5 weeks out (scheduled June 13th).
    I used the boat again the next weekend and noticed red frothy fluid in forward bilge area.(i know red fluid is normally ATF) I did not have time to crawl down in the massive engine bay or take the forward engine hatch off to see if it was actively leaking. the next day I took the dipstick out which i was surprised to hear a sucking sound as if the transmission was holding a vacuum. The fluid on the dipstick looked like motor oil(not red, and I have read that you can put motor oil in vdrives). I cannot find any evidence of fluid leaking from transmission. What else might have red fluid to do this(not rv antifreeze defiantly oil based) and is the vacuum in the trans normal
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jonmmm; 06-01-2020, 11:44 PM.

Originally posted by Jonmmm View Post
    Ok before everyone goes crazy telling me the obvious I'm going to tell you what i know and only what I've had time to look at. I bought a 2018 xstar (300hrs gdi 6000) from an out of state dealer who did all service on it as well as inspected it. they did do a trans service recently.I have put 3 hours on the boat since I've owned it. initially i noticed a slight shutter when i went into reverse(not tab raising from auto launch), i checked the lower strut bearing and there is what i would call to much play. Called my dealer and scheduled an appointment which was 5 weeks out (scheduled June 13th).
    I used the boat again the next weekend and noticed red frothy fluid in forward bilge area.(i know red fluid is normally ATF) I did not have time to crawl down in the massive engine bay or take the forward engine hatch off to see if it was actively leaking. the next day I took the dipstick out which i was surprised to hear a sucking sound as if the transmission was holding a vacuum. The fluid on the dipstick looked like motor oil(not red, and I have read that you can put motor oil in vdrives). I cannot find any evidence of fluid leaking from transmission. What else might have red fluid to do this(not rv antifreeze defiantly oil based) and is the vacuum in the trans normal

Hydraulic fluid is also red but I doubt you have hydraulic steering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found this on the Mastercraft website but I know it is listed as an option. is the rack and pinion a fluidness function. If mine has hydraulic steering how would i know?Is there a reservoir?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jonmmm View Post
        I found this on the Mastercraft website but I know it is listed as an option. is the rack and pinion a fluidness function. If mine has hydraulic steering how would i know?Is there a reservoir?

I suspect it would be on your build sheet. I’m no expert but I recall seeing hydraulic steering more on saltwater boats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The vacuum sound you hear when checking the dipstick on these transmissions is normal after a warm up and cool down cycle. Happens every time I check my transmission. I do not have a V-drive, I wonder if during the transmission service they changed from transmission fluid to Motor oil in your transmission and spilled some of the transmission fluid. What I would do is clean as much up as possible and keep an eye on your fluid level. If it was spilled and you do not have a leak then you are good to go. If you have motor oil in your engine and transmission then the only other place for fluid would be the V-drive gear. Again, I do not have a V-drive so I am of no help there.
          2005 197 TT #77 LQ9

Comment

Well I figured out it was coming from the hydraulic system for the zft7 tower. Any one know what type of fluid that takes?

Comment

Working...
            X