Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change

Anything special needed for a 1995 Indmar 5.7 oil change?

Looking at the Indmar website, it looks like 15W-40 with API CJ-4 rating.

What about the filter? Anything special needed there?

Sorry - got in a hurry. The API CJ-4 rating is for diesel engines. Any idea why that is being called out for a gas engine?

Comment

Heavy duty engine oil... napa 1069 or equivelent will do the trick, any oil with 1k plus on zddp levels will do. I am a big fan of sythenthics.. but thats me...

Oil discussion!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Well the best oil is ...

Have a good weekend Mike
        1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Today's oil are so much better than the oil available in 1995, that I wouldn't worry too much about it. That said, I'm a big fan of conventional Delo or Rotella T 15w-40. Synthetics would be fine, although the difference between "conventional" and "synthetic" has blurred significantly in the last 10 years and it's not clear exactly what that difference is today.

Short answer: Buy a brand-name 15w-40, pay extra for synthetics if it makes you sleep better at night, and don't worry too much about it.
          1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Originally posted by Island Jim View Post
            Sorry - got in a hurry. The API CJ-4 rating is for diesel engines. Any idea why that is being called out for a gas engine?
            yes it is diesel oil/marine oil... it has different additives... Mobil, Shell, any name brand really that is the 15 40w cj-4 and you will be fine.. synthetic??? your boat is this old and probably has had everything in it so standard oil will be just fine.. change it anually...

wait.. i forgot my popcorn Mike...

Comment

Dino oil sucks!!!!! Synthetic oil rules!!!

,....... Lots Of threads on this topic. Do a search for a specific oil if you want some light reading.

I use redline 10/40 and a K&N 3002 filter on my MCX.

Comment

Working...
              X