Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal Oil Pressure on Prostar

Hey All,
    I was out on the lake on my 98 PS (351 engine) and was cruising along around 30-35 and noticed my oil pressure was up around 60 PSI. Gauge max’s out at 80 PSI. We had 4 adults on board and two kids. This seemed high to me, what do y’all see on your gauges when running those speeds thanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what do you normally see on it? That seems a tad high and if I were to bet, the gauge is not reading correctly.........you could hook a manual gauge at the motor and get a more accurate reading. I would expect to see around 35-40, others may chime in with better advice. I would suspect your sending unit, just my .02 though.

Comment

change oil recently or notice the pressure shortly after leaving the dock, engine not fully warmed up?

Old rule of thumb was 10psi per 1000 rpm over idle pressure. 2000 rpm today is around 40-45 psi, so 3200 rpm(estimate of your speed), 60psi maybe a tad high. Gauge / sender but does the gauge correlate with rpm; oil pressure gauge go up as rpm increases? As long as that is a yes, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
      1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Yeah the pressure correlates to the tachometer, so I’ll just watch it and keep running on it.

Also, on that note my tachometer won’t drop below 900. Meaning at idle or even engine off, it only drops to 900. Is it an easy fix, or need to be replaced?

Comment

If you have a 98 PS, you likely have a Chevy small-block 350 in it, not a Ford 351.

My MX Plus ran about 30 PSI at idle, 40 PSI at speed; after replacing the engine (don't ask), the new one runs about 40 PSI at idle, 60 PSI at speed. I figure that's fine.

In general, don't believe any of your gauges. Our boats weren't put together with waterproof connectors, and are subject to corrosion on the connections. About 10 years ago, I went through the electrical systems on my boat, disconnecting every connector, cleaning them with DeOxit, and reconnecting them. All the readings improved, but they're starting to get iffy again.
          1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Originally posted by jawest79 View Post
            Hey All,
            I was out on the lake on my 98 PS (351 engine) and was cruising along around 30-35 and noticed my oil pressure was up around 60 PSI. Gauge max’s out at 80 PSI. We had 4 adults on board and two kids. This seemed high to me, what do y’all see on your gauges when running those speeds thanks?

As Frank has stated, I agree....you're good. 60 PSI is fairly NOP.

93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

Working...
            X