Best reman 5.7 Indmar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best reman 5.7 Indmar?

Looks like I'm in for a new motor for an '02 Prostar197. 350, 5.7l indmar with 310 HP currently. any suggestions on a motor? ive heard of Jasper, Marine Engine Depot, S and J engines, Michigan Motors, Marine Engines inc, Gearhead Engines. anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of these? I'm torn between remanufactued or new. Seems I can get a new one for only $700-800 more than a reman one from a couple of these places.
    Last edited by 32offer; 07-23-2020, 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    2002 Prostar 197, Monteray Blue, Perfect Pass, Zero Flex Tower w/ Speakers & Lights, Bimini, Amp/Sub, Transom remote

I used Michigan Motorz for a new long block in my 94 PS 205. Had a strange situation happen but they warrantied the the problem and stuck to it to resolve it.
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
    1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

If you can afford a bit more I would go new…for a bit more 4 bolt main…if your into higher revs, bare footing…I would trust GM machining over after market any day of the week...

Comment

+1 on Michigan Motorz. I have not personally used them, but have friends who needed thier help and were good to work with.

Comment

I have no experience with them, but I noticed the other day that ebasicpower has engines re-manufactured by this outfit:

First Mate Marine

EDIT: I see Summit Racing carries First Mate Marine stuff too.
          Last edited by lake weir skier; 07-26-2020, 01:38 AM.
          1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1, ACME 541, PTM Edge VR-140

Comment

I bought heads from Michigan Motorz and they have been great on my 5.7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
            Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
            1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
            Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
            "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

When I was faced with the choice, I bought the new GM long block rather than a reman. Like you, I noted that the cost wasn't that much higher, and frankly having GM machine and assemble it gave me a peace of mind that I wasn't going to get with a reman.
              1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Another Michigan Motorz fan. I too have never used them but have 2 friends that have. While I hear great things about Jasper remans, new is always better IMO. Labor/time is just as important to me as the engine itself and I'd prefer to do something like this one time. GM's been kicking these out forever and has the build process down with a high quality product. For me the extra money would be worth knowing I have a brand new factory built motor.

Comment

Originally posted by 32offer View Post
                  Looks like I'm in for a new motor for an '02 Prostar197. 350, 5.7l indmar with 310 HP currently. any suggestions on a motor? ive heard of Jasper, Marine Engine Depot, S and J engines, Michigan Motors, Marine Engines inc, Gearhead Engines. anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of these? I'm torn between remanufactued or new. Seems I can get a new one for only $700-800 more than a reman one from a couple of these places.
                  Feel like sharing what happened and how many hours were n the motor? I have the same motor in a 04 with 1,200 hours. Just curious, I hear these motors should go over 2,000 hours but you never know.
                  CHEERS, Where we skiing tomorrow?

04 X7
                  99 205 ProStar LT1 sold

Comment

Yeah people say that all the time and a lot of them do, then again a lot of them don't. Same people say they wouldn't have any reservations about buying a boat with 1000 hours but then only buy new or low hour boats.

With my latest purchase I bought a 400 hour 2016 boat. That's a ton of hours up here in the north however I' not that worried about it as I'm thinking I have at least 500 hours left on the clock and I typically put between 20 - 30 hours a year on. At this rate I'm thinking in about 3 or 4 years the boat will have closer to average hours on it and will appear "normal" in the marketplace. I'll also most likely sell it before it has 700 hours. The idea will be that the next buyer will be comfortable with the hours as well.

Truth be told once you hit 1000 hours you should be preparing for a rebuild. If it ends up not needing one for another 1000 hours great, if it does at least you'll be prepared.

Comment

I have dealt with Michigan Motorz as well. i purchased a new block for a 97 prostar 190 TBI. That was about 4-5 years ago and it still runs great. Their customer service was great when I talked to them on the phone and shipping was quick and reasonable. The price was great as well. The marine mechanic who we had do the work had originally quoted me a price using a block sourced through Mercury. once i showed him the michigan motorz price he agreed to let me buy the motor and he just charge me labor to swap accessories, install, and lake test. I would not hesitate to use them again. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by fglenn View Post
                        Feel like sharing what happened and how many hours were n the motor? I have the same motor in a 04 with 1,200 hours. Just curious, I hear these motors should go over 2,000 hours but you never know.
                        Ditto for me....800ish hours now

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                        Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Blew a head gasket as far as I can tell. Smoked pretty good out of the motor cover when I fired it up. Had a burnt smell to it. When I drained the oil, it changed colors several times. Took it back out for a spin with a mechanic, and he took the oil cap off and it had a lot of blow-by....smoke rolling out of the valve cover. He then did compression tests and it wasn't firing on 2 and 4 cylinders. Scoped those 2 cylinders and water was getting through. I've also got high oil pressure, but can't figure out why. And I have a small oil leak from the back of the pan or maybe the rear main seal. So with all of that going on, we thought it would be best to just replace the engine rather than chase problems around.
                          2002 Prostar 197, Monteray Blue, Perfect Pass, Zero Flex Tower w/ Speakers & Lights, Bimini, Amp/Sub, Transom remote

Comment

So....a couple of the engine suppliers i'm looking at are asking some particulars in order to get the right motor.
                            Flat lifters vs. roller lifters?
                            Stamp steel rockers vs. stamp steel rockers with a roller tip?

Is there anyway to determine these without tearing into the motor? Since i'm going to replace it anyways, i didn't want to spend any time digging into it and making any more mess than necessary

Comment

In the same boat so to speak. Looking for a motor, rather than problems that may or may not come from a rebuild, for a 2000 Mastercraft Pro Star 190. Recently sent information requests to both Michigan Motorz and Jasper and so far no response.

Definitely interested in your decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X