Best reman 5.7 Indmar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 32offer View Post
    So....a couple of the engine suppliers i'm looking at are asking some particulars in order to get the right motor.
    Flat lifters vs. roller lifters?
    Stamp steel rockers vs. stamp steel rockers with a roller tip?

Is there anyway to determine these without tearing into the motor? Since i'm going to replace it anyways, i didn't want to spend any time digging into it and making any more mess than necessary
    If you're asking about what's on your current engine you should be able to see the roller on the rocker, possibly through the oil fill by eye and certainly by using a bore scope to snoop around.

As far as getting the right motor, based of year of the boat and HP I believe everything past 95 and about 285 HP was roller. It really doesn't matter as either would engine theoretically work but the roller would have the theoretical edge in performance and longevity due to reduced wear in the valve train from the roller technology. This topic is what always has me a bit on concerned when looking at a used boat with a "new" engine, as in "what new engine did they put in?". There are so many low budget or cheap people that will try and save a couple hundred dollars on a $5K build that unless you're really careful you could end up with a low quality new engine from the guy telling you the engine was changed recently.

To me your choice is easy, buy the roller engine and forget about it. Why would you even consider a lesser engine other than possibly needing additional parts for a conversion.
    Attached Files

Comment

Seems several Team Members have experience with Michigan MotorZ; however, does anyone have experience with BluePrint Engines.

Comment

I bought my 5.7 from marine power, the little bit of money saved on rebuild is not worth in my opinion for all the trouble you go to swapping engine.

2003 X30 MCX
        2008 XStar
        2007 X2
        2001 X5

Comment

Originally posted by Totem1 View Post
          Seems several Team Members have experience with Michigan MotorZ; however, does anyone have experience with BluePrint Engines.
          No personal experience but I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you believe anything said from the Roadkill guys on the Motortrend channel and their show Engine Masters BluePrint Engines makes some seriously good stuff.

My only concern here is that their claim to fame so to speak is their stroker and other modified engines which I would be hesitant to use if you were planing to use stock EFI and the ECM from the stock motor. Carborated or an engine that you plan to run an after market EFI system on might be a different story.

Comment

I got my long block from Mabbco Motors out of Tyler Tx. Running 4 years and about 250 hours with no issues thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate all the recommendations. Mabbco Motors is around 4 hour drive if get motivated. Curious which options if any did you upgrade?

Comment

I went with a Jasper reman. My local MC dealer uses Jasper. My neighbor, who is a mechanic, uses Jasper, and said their customer service is top notch, and if you ever have a warranty issue, they'll take care of it, no questions asked. I am spending about $700-800 more than what I would've at Michigan Motors, but i'm also getting a 3 year warranty vs. a 1 year, and it'll be shipped/installed at their shop, so the logistics is just easier. I have also talked to Michigan Motors, and they've been very helpful. Followed up a couple times to ask if I had any more questions. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a motor from MM based on what I've learned from them. I'll give a report after I get it installed
                2002 Prostar 197, Monteray Blue, Perfect Pass, Zero Flex Tower w/ Speakers & Lights, Bimini, Amp/Sub, Transom remote

Comment

Originally posted by Totem1 View Post
                  Appreciate all the recommendations. Mabbco Motors is around 4 hour drive if get motivated. Curious which options if any did you upgrade?

Didn’t change anything. Just matched 4 casting numbers and they knew what I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been awhile since you posted going with Jasper at your local MC dealer and wondering how the install is progressing? After looking at the options, Jasper is currently number one on the list. Have only one installer in my area which is not a deal breaker.

Comment

Working...
                    X