Motor mounts stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor mounts stuck

Hello all - Trying to do an engine alignment, but the hex nuts wont budge. Any ideas?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DeepBlue; 11-14-2020, 08:33 PM.

Salt or brackish environment?

Overnight penetrate soak is my first thought.

I have seen engine mounts in all kinds of predicaments. A 2007 should be fairly cooperative (thus the above question).

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

Brackish. I was able to get most of the rust off. I have also soaked them for quite some time with Pblaster. Still - they wont move. I think its a 1-1/4" on the engine mount and 15/16" on the tranny mount. Not much room to get good leverage.
      Last edited by DeepBlue; 11-18-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepBlue View Post
        Brackish. I was able to get most of the rust off. I have also soaked them for quite some time with Pblaster. Still - they wont move. I think its a 15/16 on the engine mount and 1 1/4" on the tranny mount. Not much room to get good leverage.
        I wish I had the exact answer for you but engine mounts are all different from one to the other when talking stuck.

Heat, impact driver (?), and patience, but I also know your working space is limited. Leverage with a cheater bar is likely not possible.

Patience.

I have seen several so seized up that they required replacement but those were on older boats (35-40 years old).

I got nothing for you aside from a few suggestions and encouragement that you will win out.

The photos help. There is a specific socket for the top head on the vertical trunion. I have seen some on Flea-bay. Not sure if that helps.

Keep this updated please. I am watching to learn. Best luck.

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Thanks. Will buy an air hammer tomorrow. Heat is next.

Comment

I'd go for heat too. Be careful not to melt any nearby rubber bushings or wires.

Yellow propane tank burns hotter than the blue ones, as I recall.
            - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

When you try heat, someone told me to use a candle too. Heat the metal and touch the candle to the threads. The wax will melt and get drawn into the threads like solder when sweating pipes. The wax will help in allowing the bolts to turn. I have not tried this myself, but sounds interesting.

Comment

Pblaster ok... kroil much better.. hammer gun always good to rattle the bolt and thread.

Try some heat thermo cycling... but as noted above be careful of rubber grommets.

But then again in brackish water the galvanic corrosion may have fused the metals.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Thanks all. Tried the new air hammer today and all four eventually came loose after a bit of hammering. More PB blaster and cleaning up threads, then it's on to aligning the engine. Good times.

Comment

Awesome!!!

sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Thanks all. Tried the new air hammer today and all four eventually came loose after a bit of hammering. More PB blaster and cleaning up threads, then it's on to aligning the engine. Good times.
                      Good for you. Always a good feeling to make progress.

Just for the sake of conversation, here's a mount that the trunions and washer were seized beyond recovery. I tried it all. It twisted the rubber out of the seized hub with no other hope of salvaging.

Remedy: replacement.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-18-2020, 09:26 PM.
                      93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

Great thread

Comment

While I can now control vertical movement of the engine, I suspect my next problem is horizontal movement. The reason I am here is that the prop shaft was rubbing against the shaft log at 5 o'clock. I removed the strut and ended up shimming the back side with three .03" stainless steel plates and adjusting the pitch. (I can't see how this ever lined up properly when the boat left the factory). Anyway, the shaft now runs dead center thru the shaft log but now the tranny will need to come up and to the right to line up with the coupling.

Haven't tried to move the transmission sideways yet but looks like this may be a battle given the visible rust on the trunnion bars and pin pulls. Will likely need to make a custom puller to pull the engine in either direction. Though the preference is to remove the tranny mounts and rebuild them (or replace). I think the engine mounts will move to where I need them to go.

Thanks WaterLogged..looks like you had your own share of motor mount misery. How did you end up replacing the mounts? Any ideas on suspending the tranny side while removing the mounts. Looks like the two rear engine mounts do most of the heavy lifting but could be wrong.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by DeepBlue; 11-19-2020, 04:12 AM.

Comment

So I was able to remove my tranny mounts and clean them up. By raising the port mount far enough, the stbd mount carries no weight and can be removed. I took the port mount off first, disassembled it, cleaned it up with a drill/wire brush and coated the trunnion bars and threads with anti-seize. Also spray painted the mounts. This morning assembled the whole thing and put it back in the boat. Raised it and removed the stbd mount. Also took a lot at the rubber bushings and they seemed to be holding up ok. I'll most likely replace them in 3 yrs.
                            After adjusting the tranny mounts, the coupler had a small gap on one side. Ended up building a puller to pull the back of the engine side to side (same bar I used to pop out the shaft from the coupler). Engine all aligned - test drive next week.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by DeepBlue; 11-22-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

So I was able to remove my tranny mounts and clean them up. By raising the port mount far enough, the stbd mount carries no weight and can be removed. I took the port mount off first, disassembled it, cleaned it up with a drill/wire brush and coated the trunnion bars and threads with never seize. Also spray painted the mounts. This morning assembled the whole thing and put it back in the boat. Raised it and removed the stbd mount. Also took a lot at the rubber bushings and they seemed to be holding up ok. I'll most likely replace them in 3 yrs.
                              After adjusting the tranny mounts, the coupler had a small gap on one side. Ended up building a puller to pull the back of the engine side to side (same bar I used to pop out the shaft from the coupler). Engine all aligned - test drive next week.
                              You are officially addicted.

Good job on the engine mounts.

93 190
                              (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                              X