No announcement yet.

Improving appearance of replacement exhaust risers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice work! That looks great! You'll have to post pics after you've installed them.
    Jerry

2020 X22
    2018 XT22
    2014 Aqua Patio
    2003 Malibu Response LXi
    2001 Malibu Sunsetter
    1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

Looks very nice! What grit paper did you use?

Comment

Very nice! Best looking exhaust on the lake

Comment

Originally posted by barneyferd View Post
          Very nice work! That looks great! You'll have to post pics after you've installed them.
          That's a bit of a sore subject at the moment. They are functionally installed and I just needed to touch up a little paint damage near the difficult to reach rear fasteners when I discovered I trashed the outer side of one of them with the motor box. I needed the floor out of the way to adjust the stuffing box drip rate and the coupling alignment. In the past, I've had a second person to help me lift the motor box and floor out as a unit. However, I don't have a second person now to do that, so I lifted the motor box only into the boat, leaving the floor out to do the adjustments on the lake. It turns out without the attached floor to align it, I was off enough in the positioning for the motor box to contact the riser. When I have time, I'm going to repaint that one in place. Don't know yet how much of it I will have to paint, but I'm going to get it back like it was.
          1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1, ACME 541, PTM Edge VR-140

Comment

Originally posted by d2jp View Post
            Looks very nice! What grit paper did you use?
            It's been awhile back that I did this, and I didn't write that down. I know I took the highest stuff, like the crude casting line, down with 80 grit on the belt sander. That left a big difference in texture between the smoothed area and the rest of the casting. I think I smoothed everything with around 80-120 to get the texture uniform. I know I didn't run anything over 150 on the belt sander. I think I did most of the stuff by hand with 150-220. I have sanding blocks, including a highly flexible sanding block I used on the curved surfaces. You've got to be careful with a belt sander or you will take too much off and create bad flat areas on the curved surfaces. I got down to study it to make sure I wasn't taking off more on one side of the top than the other. I thought at one point I had what I wanted and then painting with primer revealed some flats were still there, so I sanded more.
            Last edited by lake weir skier; 11-28-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lake weir skier View Post

That's a bit of a sore subject at the moment. They are functionally installed and I just needed to touch up a little paint damage near the difficult to reach rear fasteners when I discovered I trashed the outer side of one of them with the motor box. I needed the floor out of the way to adjust the stuffing box drip rate and the coupling alignment. In the past, I've had a second person to help me lift the motor box and floor out as a unit. However, I don't have a second person now to do that, so I lifted the motor box only into the boat, leaving the floor out to do the adjustments on the lake. It turns out without the attached floor to align it, I was off enough in the positioning for the motor box to contact the riser. When I have time, I'm going to repaint that one in place. Don't know yet how much of it I will have to paint, but I'm going to get it back like it was.
              I have painted risers in place. Easy enough. Painter's plastic works well.

93 190

Comment

This is what one of them looked like after sanding and spot filling with JB Weld. I stupidly let the belt sander hit the ridges at the exits where the hose attaches. I had to build those ridges up in places with JB Weld and sand. I sure was wishing I had been more careful. The repair seems to work fine, but it was time spent I could have avoided by being more careful. I held the riser in place with a T shaped tool for turning my water meter valve clamped in a Jawhorse. You wouldn't know that sloppy casting line, which I've compared to peanut butter applied with the thumb, was ever there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1994 Mastercraft Prostar 190 -- Riser after preparation for primer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.13 MB ID:	2695095
                Last edited by lake weir skier; 11-28-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

I have painted risers in place. Easy enough. Painter's plastic works well.

Any recommendations for cleaning up after the vomiting that resulted from discovery of the damage?

Comment

This is the paint damage I'm going to be fixing. I recommend against doing this to your riser with your motor box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1994 Mastercraft ProStar 190 -- Damaged paint on riser.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2695098

Comment

Any recommendations for cleaning up after the vomiting that resulted from discovery of the damage?
                      Not right off.

All part of it.

You can fix that in place.

93 190

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

You can fix that in place.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold paint01.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	2695121

93 190

Comment

It that a sterile operating field you have there, doctor? Did you paint your gunwale black?
                          Last edited by lake weir skier; 11-30-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

That is original black gunwale from all that I know of the boat. Boat is black and white reverse gel scheme.
                            Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                              That is original black gunwale from all that I know of the boat. Boat is black and white reverse gel scheme.
                              Yes...correct. He stays up too late at night...
                              93 190

Comment

It that a sterile operating field you have there, doctor? Did you paint your gunwale black?
                                I believe this is a Dexter Morgan inspired setup
                                Rick
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X