Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motor rebuild/updating boat.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
    I just did exactly what you did. I put in a new crate motor from summit racing. Unless you have some far fetched idea that your boat is going to go up in value bc you have the original engine in it, it is not worth rebuilding the old motor time/labor wise. Your boat isn't a 63 split window 327 corvette.


    For risers, manifolds (I paid $800 for mine @ skidim) , gaskets and tranny damper - just call ski dim - they are AWESOME. Seriously, they are gods gift to aftermarket inboard service.

    It might cost slightly more, but you're going to get the right thing the 1st time EVERY TIME.

    My engine is a beast now and the stargazer 9.2.1 software upgrade makes it almost identical to ZO
    Did you swap your camshaft? Also what is the stargazer upgrade?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
      ... and the stargazer 9.2.1 software upgrade makes it almost identical to ZO
      For the software, did you download or did they send a USB device? Or other media?
      93 190
      (safe click)
      John 14:6
      (safe click)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Sully_6 View Post
        Did you swap your camshaft? Also what is the stargazer upgrade?
        Crate motor included long block. heads, crank, cam all included. What we "recycled" was: carb, ignition, distributor, starter, intake, carb (rebuilt), risers, exhaust manifolds, valve covers. we put a brand new water pump, fuel water separator, impeller, plugs and hoses on it. Hoses are $$. You can purchase aftermarket at any local hydraulic supply. I also went ahead and replaced the steering cable.

        Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
        For the software, did you download or did they send a USB device? Or other media?
        Its not exactly a flash drive, it's a thing that looks like a flash drive, and you plug it into a slot they show you. You turn the key on and the upgrade starts. it requires re-calibration and re-mapping. but thats easy. That was the best $99 I spent in the offseason
        The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post

          Its not exactly a flash drive, it's a thing that looks like a flash drive, and you plug it into a slot they show you. You turn the key on and the upgrade starts. it requires re-calibration and re-mapping. but thats easy. That was the best $99 I spent in the offseason
          Thank you.
          93 190
          (safe click)
          John 14:6
          (safe click)

          Comment


          • #20
            I assume Slalomjunkie's crate from Summit was automotive, so that camshaft might be more than adequate. For what it's worth, I looked into getting an ATK remanufactured engine from Summit and the guy there said I should swap over my old camshaft.

            I assumed the marine version of the camshaft had more to do with the torque profile. From my googling things, I found comments that marine camshafts are basically RV camshafts.

            Comment


            • #21
              Might be a stupid question, but have you reached out to Indmar to see if they have cam specs somewhere?
              Engine Nut hasn't posted on TT in a couple years, but if anyone would know it might be him.
              Somewhere in the dark ages, he posted cam/piston specs for 351HO and he wasn't even around during the Indmar 351HO days.

              Comment


              • #22
                No I haven’t reached out to indmar yet, wanted to pull as much info here before I tried.

                I do believe this motor has an RV cam in it, waiting to hear back from the guy I bought it from, he did mention that prior to me buying it. I appreciate everyone’s help thus far.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I reached out to Engine Nut last fall and I believe I had asked about the cam question and he didn't have the specs. I recall at the very least, he confirmed that I wouldn't be able to find the same one based on the markings.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by wtrskr View Post
                    I assume Slalomjunkie's crate from Summit was automotive, so that camshaft might be more than adequate. For what it's worth, I looked into getting an ATK remanufactured engine from Summit and the guy there said I should swap over my old camshaft.

                    I assumed the marine version of the camshaft had more to do with the torque profile. From my googling things, I found comments that marine camshafts are basically RV camshafts.
                    I ordered this

                    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HME-DMA1-GTP
                    The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Ah, you did get a marine engine. Nice. I was looking at short blocks to save a few bucks and I don't believe they had separate marine versions for those. My heads didn't have that many hours on them, so I kept my old.

                      I believe what you got there is probably better / more heavy-duty than the original setup. I see the double roller timing chain, for example. I'd bet the piston and rings and some of the other parts are better than OEM too.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by wtrskr View Post
                        Ah, you did get a marine engine. Nice. I was looking at short blocks to save a few bucks and I don't believe they had separate marine versions for those. My heads didn't have that many hours on them, so I kept my old.

                        I believe what you got there is probably better / more heavy-duty than the original setup. I see the double roller timing chain, for example. I'd bet the piston and rings and some of the other parts are better than OEM too.
                        Yep, she is running stronger than ever, and I just ordered a new throttle handle. BTW, the MV2 and MV3 replacement is CH2200P, also a great price @SkiDim.

                        I think in the off season we will pull the transmission out and rebuild it.
                        The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Lots of pics please

                          Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Sully_6 View Post
                            Not sure if you’re here to help or be a smart ***? It’s easy to find the specs of a crate motor. Not so easy finding the specs of a 2001 Indmar 350 and what camshaft was used so I was hoping that someone here would know or be of help.

                            Anyway, my reasoning for installing a 20 year old camshaft into a nearly new block is simple and stated in the thread. I have found many more people to say that the cam shaft needs to be marine specific, so that no water can ingest into the motor due to the cam. Since this is an automotive vortec crate motor, it has an automotive camshaft in it. Therefor, swapping the new cam out and putting the old one in made more sense to me than taking a chance, if you have more valuable info for me let me know
                            Not a smart***, but have stayed in a, HolidayInn Express.
                            Page: 4
                            https://cdn.bakesonline.com/media/re...epairSpecs.pdf
                            .274 in/.283 ex They don't list, lobe separation, which makes a difference, on low-end torque. Probably, a wider angle(most Detroit truck engines, it's safe and produces more low end torque. ) So, really it's about was it a truck crate engine or car? (cars tend to have a slightly closer angle, for slightly bigger HP numbers.)

                            Just for grins, https://www.hotrod.com/articles/cams...ted-explained/

                            Look at the torque graph. Look at the gains, between 25-4000 rpm/

                            Hope it works out well.
                            Last edited by etduc; 05-19-2021, 02:17 PM.
                            sigpic Ayyyy!

                            2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

                            Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Figure I would throw an update in, I am still at waiting on some parts to come in for the motor, transmission, and a few misc things.
                              In the mean time I have been basically gutting the boat. I’ve removed all carpet, all interior pieces have also been removed and I am in the process of getting quotes from upholsterers.

                              I’ve removed all ballasts and hoses except for my ski locker, that one will come out today.
                              Next step is to remove most of the wiring that is basically half *** laid out in my boat and in the bilge and re route with new connections and zero splices so it will be much easier to trouble shoot if something does happen. I really want to re wire all of my switches so that may be what gets done.
                              Although it will take some time I am excited to be moving along some.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I am trying to upload pics but keep getting an error, I apologize for that!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X