Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing damper plate- need help ASAP

I am ready to rip into this project.

Everything is pretty clear other than when can I lift on the back of the motor??

I am debating putting some blocks under it for now so I can start but I am going to ha e to lift it at some point!!
    Attached Files

Yes, some have raised motor with front mounts in place. Post pics on prgress

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Here is where I am- just don’t know how to prop up motor now.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi did a damper couple years ago two things that made the job easier was 1. I wedged some 2x4's under the exhaust risers and the tranny mounts. This kept the engine from moving too much. 2. Make some alignment dowels by getting two bolts the same size but about 1-1.5 inches longer than then the bellhousing bolts. Cut the heads off, bevel a little with a file. When you are trying to line the tranny back up screw the dowels into the block slide the bellhousing over them. Install the other bellhousing bolts, then remove the dowels and replace with your remaining two bolts. Also the engine need to be tilted more than lifted. I did this with prying up with a bar and or 2x4. The front motor mounts still carry much of the weight.

Comment

Damper
          Attached Files

Comment

I think I did wedge some wood blocks under the oil pan as well. The engine is heavy but most of the weight is carried by the front mounts. I used them as a pivot and didn't touch them.

Comment

Bottle jack(s) and light shoring (2x4, etc.) under the risers.

Or an overhead hoist, chain-fall, etc. with threaded lifting rings and a load spreader.

Or an overhead mechanism with a rigging strap. Doesn't take much.

Remove the connections from the transmission, leave the rear mounts in the stringers. Lift the rear; rotating the engine on the front horizontal trunions.

Attached Files
              93 190
              (safe click)

Comment

I just noticed you are from Plainfield, IL do you ski on the Kankakee?
                Last edited by BoatMechanic; 06-29-2021, 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

93 190
                  (safe click)

Comment

Well- I think I am as far as I can go.

I need to find a spreader bar or some thing. I will roll the boat out and put the loader above the motor and Jack use a come along to pivot it up.

Thanks for the help. I want to make the weekend water so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketboy View Post
                      Well- I think I am as far as I can go.

I need to find a spreader bar or some thing. I will roll the boat out and put the loader above the motor and Jack use a come along to pivot it up.

Thanks for the help. I want to make the weekend water so bad.
                      That will work.

Patience.

93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

All good help tonight guys!

When I ran into a road block I got my riser gaskets changed!

How many bolts hold the bell housing to the motor? I have 4 out but it seems like there should be more on the bottom somewhere.
                        Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketboy View Post
                          All good help tonight guys!

When I ran into a road block I got my riser gaskets changed!

How many bolts hold the bell housing to the motor? I have 4 out but it seems like there should be more on the bottom somewhere.
                          Thanks again!!
                          I am not 100% familiar with the Chevrolet engine. If your housing is the LT-1 T56, it has 8 bolts.

93 190
                          (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                            I am not 100% familiar with the Chevrolet engine. If your housing is the LT-1 T56, it has 8 bolts.

Dang- looks like I need to find 4 more!!

Comment

When lifting one video I watched look like they were connected to the exhaust riser- Is that safe to do?

Comment

Working...
                              X